Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But see, where HilFly is coming from is the belief that people still see eating and drinking as an inherent part of travel. I am not so sure many people do. Most just see it as a means of transportation. So when you theorize based on the golden vision of air travel it is one thing, while when you simply view a plane as a bus or a city train, the concerns that are mentioned here suddenly disappear. Judging by the numbers and the surveys that BA conducts (which many do not believe), I may be right that most people do not care about food and drinks. But let's see what happens next year or in two/three years - if BA starts loosing passengers due to the introduction of BoB, unlike many here, I will have no problem with saying that my opinion was wrong.

[/s]

So few people want to eat when flying then even the fewer number of people who may not be able to buy what they want will not really make the overall satisfaction scores lower. As someone who flies with the BoB PS to London almost every month I don't see many people, even people with kids, order food. Some people buy alcohol but only two or three people buy food. I see it as a non issue. Again, your starting point is that eating and drinking is what people expect when flying. I strongly believe that attitudes have shifted, and most people find flying on an aiprplane as common as taking a bus, and they don't expect being fed on a bus. I just disagree that people expect food on airplanes. Not these days.
No.. simply NO , you are wrong , why you continue to defend the indefensible I do not know . BA with BOB is NOT what the frequent flyers wanted , nor what all of my non frequent flyer friends who no are not happy with BA any more
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by psollitt
No.. simply NO , you are wrong , why you continue to defend the indefensible I do not know . BA with BOB is NOT what the frequent flyers wanted , nor what all of my non frequent flyer friends who no are not happy with BA any more
I think the truth is probably somewhere between these views. Most people probably don't really care, certainly not enough to pay more, but there is some regret that the nation's carrier is no longer really premium.

My rather younger 21 year old brother expressed this, he said that there's really no need for free food on flights 3 hours less, but he is a bit sad that the impression he used to have of BA as a first class airline is gone. And he doesn't really fly, so that was more just about having a positive symbol representing Britain round the world. (I should add he is a full on corbynite so not a nationalistic tubthumper!

What I don't believe for a second is that BA has received majority positive feedback. The menu isn't even good, on every other BOB airline I've flown around the world there is far better choice. A few M&S sandwiches, really?

Within Europe no-one will pay more to connect for a g&t but it probably will lose some long haul business involving a connection. How much we will see.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by psollitt
I am sorry but may I ask you where I am wrong exactly? And what am I defending? I refer to BA's statistics and passenger numbers, you refer to the opinions of your friends. Do you see a difference? Do your friends speak for me as well? Do they know what I and others expect from BA?

Last edited by Andriyko; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
OK, but the subject is BoB ... and people travelling on a long journey (let's say 3+ hours) have an expectation of food/drink. I've seen enough comments here from people who can't survive <2 hours without 1 litre of water!
So, when I say that people on longer short haul routes do not want to eat you don't believe me but you are quick to accept what others say about their needs as universal truth and a fact. KBP to LON Is a 3+ hours flight and I see that only a handful of people order anything. What do you base your assertion that people expect food when flying on?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think we'll just agree to differ here.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:42 pm

Well that was nice. Delayed flybe from Edinburgh to Manchester tonight... They did the Bob for free
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:52 pm

Y'all do realise of course that even if it was a failure, they'd still be saying it was a success? That's marketing.....
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I have friends that are fairly aware travelers, at least here in the US. More than a few chose BA for recent trips to Europe, possibly because of price, possibly because at least based on past experience BA used to be better than US carriers. All were quite shocked to get onboard their BA SH flights and not even get a free non-alcoholic drink. At least one decided they needed to buy food in LHR because after the SH flight, they weren't certain they would get anything for free on their longhaul flight. And then they all went back to their Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, etc complaining about how bad BA is compared to US carriers.

If you live in the UK and you fly even semi-regularly, then yes I would be surprised if you didn't know by now that BA has gone to BOB on SH. The problem is that not all BA passengers live in the UK and their local news probably isn't publicizing every change made by a foreign carrier. So yes, this news is just reaching lots of infrequent passengers. So no the full impact of BOB isn't yet known. It will be seen after all these infrequent travelers go home, and tell their friends who are getting ready to book their next holiday that BA isn't what it was, they should book Air France or Aegean instead.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Andriyko
And the fact is that planes are full and passengers have not abandoned BA, which I read as they either do not care about food or like/do not mind.
If planes are full, and that's a big if, then you should read this as successful manipulation of fares to attract passengers in spite of cuts to on board service.

Full economy class cabins have little to do with appreciation of on board service, more to do with the price of tickets.

In short, yield management fills aircraft. Not free drinks and a packet of crisps. These luxury goods might allow the airline to lift average yields a notch, but by the same token getting rid of the goodies can lower average yields.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
BA has made a BIG mistake here and is now facing the criticism that it deserves. I have been on 4 hour flights where food has run out. To be sitting in the twilight zone desperate for a drink when it takes an eternity to get to you is not acceptable. Anyone who thinks the change in policy is acceptable is in the wrong as BOB does not work.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR to TXL yesterday, on a completely full flight with not a single empty seat in either cabin, the initial "welcome on board" announcement spoke of the "fantastic selection" of refreshments to buy on board.

However, the passenger in 6A (the first row of ET) was told that they only had a few beef sandwiches and fruit salads. And, after checking, one focaccia.

Six months after the introduction of BoB, I can only surmise that the glossy menus are mere marketing and that British Airways has no intention of fully catering its short-haul flights.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I've posted it before, as have others. If BA did this as US airlines do on domestic flights, with free soft drinks, water, coffee and tea, but food and alcohol BOB, they could generate a huge amount of goodwill. Most of us don't care about food on short flights, but the beverages would be a clear differentiation from EZ and FR.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Andriyko,

I fly a 4+ hour segment regularly. I have witnessed Dozens if not scores of passengers express dismay at the policy, and even worse when hardly anything that they want is onboard. Generally I am seeing the FA's explain/apologize every row or two on every single flight on these segments. I also personally know dozens of people who will no longer connect via London when traveling to the Americas because of this issue, as they do not want to go 4+ hours without food (or no selection of pay for food) then have a 2-6 hour connection, on a four figure ticket in economy when they can choose literally a dozen other carriers that will give them food.

Personally as I have flown these segments in Club and Y, I would like to ask Alex, why is it that I have to have a choice of only two things when flying in Club Europe??!! If this was his reasoning for BoB??!!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case you're getting this all secondhand and therefore may be unaware of the fact that most services do have sufficient catering in both directions. There are exceptions,particularly on return sectors to London, but broadly speaking BoB has settled down, mostly it works fine (though still scope for improvement), and flights are pretty much as full as ever. I see no evidence of this move being reversed.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:03 am

I had one of my best ever short haul economy experiences with ba recently on a city flyer route from Stansted. Fast check in with no queue in an airport that was otherwise rammed, decent legroom, complementary on board breakfast and beverages, good staff... exactly as it should be. I hadnt realised that the cityflyer flights were unaffected by the bob thing so it was a very pleasant surprise and it really did remind me that even on a short flight, an inch or so more space and a bit of food and drink can turn something to be endured into something quite enjoyable. I would value that extra comfort at considerably more than my bacon roll, fruit and glass of sparkling water cost them to deliver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.