Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:16 am

I only have a single booking affected, straddling the 11th Jan so only my return affected.

Got a knockback on my first attempt, went back with a firmer reply and got 1,000 Avios compensation this morning
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fitch
I somewhat akin to having a conversation with your dog
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm yet to meet a single dog owner who doesn't speak to the little monster!
Quite, my dogs are very talkative, they always agree with me, and, truth be told, their conversational pitch sometimes exceeds Flyertalk.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Fellow Club Euope frequenters with Euro Traveller flights post Jan will be delighted. Monopole at £16.00 per pop!

According to crew it will be around £4-6 per bottle of vino/beers and similar for spirits. How much are those sprit miniatures in World Duty Free? I do hope the prices for soft drinks will be at least 330ml cans and not the current miniature offering!

Looks like my liquid bag will be filled with cost saving alternatives.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:28 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ACARS
Fellow Club Euope frequenters with Euro Traveller flights post Jan will be delighted. Monopole at £16.00 per pop!

According to crew it will be around £4-6 per bottle of vino/beers and similar for spirits. How much are those sprit miniatures in World Duty Free? I do hope the prices for soft drinks will be at least 330ml cans and not the current miniature offering!

Can you purchase duty free if you're travelling within the EU?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
Coming soon (well, in 2019) to a Brexit country near you ...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
Are those miniatures found with the blue "for travel outside of EU" or the green 'fair game for anyone' labels? I thought it was the latter?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ziz
If you're staying inside the EU the vendor has to pay the appropriate duty to HMRC.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:38 am

As an aside, will BA as a vendor of food now be complying with displaying allergens in their food available to customers before they board?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's almost exactly the same price, surprise surprise.

However, there is a generally some deal on, such as (currrently) 4 for the price of 3. Also there is a range of mid sized products, which works out at half the price, so typically 4 measures of the spirit for £10 or some such. However getting the mixer is a lot more difficult, certainly in LHR, unless it's a Coke (or similar) product.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

The prices are on the BA website. Coke will be 330ml and unless they've changed their mind since I read the menu the sparkling wine will be prosecco not champagne. Going by memory I think it's £6 for a prosecco.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:07 am

Thanks c-w-s, I had a feeling that may have been the case.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's almost exactly the same price, surprise surprise.
Indeed, from the UK, although quite a bit more from Scandinavia, quite a bit less from many airports in Central (including Germany) and Southern Europe depending on what's your guilty pleasure so that might or might not be a good idea depending on the place of departure I guess.

People transiting should remember the transparent seat plastic bag with apparent receipt rule or it will be confiscated at security if above 10cl.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Well I have asked for a cancellation and have so far been ignored.
Do you mean you asked for it via the web form? This is what I did asking for a cancellation and got 1000pts instead.
I will have to call them.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by crazyegg
Got a knockback on my first attempt, went back with a firmer reply and got 1,000 Avios compensation this morning
Same here.

I received a standard copy-and-paste reply to my original complaint, pushed back and then received 1,000 Avios for each Euro Traveller flight from LHR I have booked post January.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
FWIW - I came across this Tweet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.