Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Was just on a Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok... 3 hour flight, full meal with a hot roll (all delicious might I add!), nice strong cutlery, two glasses of wine and tea to finish. A lovely seat with lots of leg room too. Blows BA out of the water, especially considering this is "short haul"
Yes and it has the pricing to match it. You have chosen a good example here of why this development is happening. HKG to BKK is about the same distance as LHR-LIS. Both routes have a lot of competition on them, probably more so on the BKK route. Plenty of services to choose from too on both airlines.

On BA the cheapest return fare is Ł91, though Ł120 is probably a fairer and easier to obtain comparison fare. In Club Europe it's Ł400 return and that's widely available.

On Cathay the cheapest return fare is Ł570 in economy and in business class it's Ł1400!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Or throw in the towel on LGW SH and let it become Veuling's problem.
They might have been planning just that pre-referendum. However right now nobody knows what kind of air service rules will exist once Brexit actually happens- will Vueling be able to fly to anywhere at all from Gatwick other than Spain?
In practice I suspect they will be able to operate flights to all remaining EU member states because it is EU policy that new air service agreements with non-EU countries allow all EU airlines to fly to/from all EU countries. UK domestics might be a real problem.

Not a good time to spend any money at all on re-branding LGW shorthaul if it turns out to be wasted by 2019.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy33
In practice I suspect they will be able to operate flights to all remaining EU member states because it is EU policy that new air service agreements with non-EU countries allow all EU airlines to fly to/from all EU countries. UK domestics might be a real problem.

Not a good time to spend any money at all on re-branding LGW shorthaul if it turns out to be wasted by 2019.
I don't see the UK imposing restrictions on who owns airlines that operate flights within the UK. Given that we are happy to have nuclear reactors owned by the Chinese and French. And as far as I am aware there is no EU law preventing an EU airline from operating flights outside the EU.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes and it has the pricing to match it. You have chosen a good example here of why this development is happening. HKG to BKK is about the same distance as LHR-LIS. Both routes have a lot of competition on them, probably more so on the BKK route. Plenty of services to choose from too on both airlines.

On BA the cheapest return fare is Ł91, though Ł120 is probably a fairer and easier to obtain comparison fare. In Club Europe it's Ł400 return and that's widely available.

On Cathay the cheapest return fare is Ł570 in economy and in business class it's Ł1400!
Fair enough, wasn't so aware of the price as this was a multi-stop trip through Asia with a fairly decent total price
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Let me say straight off that I'm very, very nervous about contradicting this post, given the esteem in which I hold its author (and you will know I really mean that, c-w-s, in the light of our very enjoyable chat at the MIA lounge this past August )

I flew the HKG-BKK sector myself with CX earlier this year - and although I used a mix of cash + Avios to pay, I don't remember them being priced at anything like the example fares quoted here.

So with an eye to my next need to fly this same route, I have just checked out fares for likely dates in February of next year, and they come out like this :

Lowest economy return (books as O class) is HKD1862 inc taxes
Lowest business return (books as D class) is HKD6162 inc taxes

Using CX's own currency conversion chart, these equate to Ł198 and Ł658 sterling respectively.

Given how dramatically different these are from the figures quoted by c-w-s .... have I by chance got things horribly wrong
I have my hands ready to hold up if so !

PS I did my pricing on CX official site.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I find CX rather expensive for internal Asian flights.
Last time I was out there, Air Asia and Jetstar were doing economy flights with luggage etc. for Ł50-Ł60 compared to CX at over Ł400 for the same route.

I definitely wouldn't consider them unless I was using Avios and even then, probably for business rather than economy (unless circumstances dictated otherwise).
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by binman
Thats a reasonable position take but BA does not offer LCC fares. I have just looked at both easy jet and Ryan air web sites and they are offering fares from Ł15.99 to Ł34.99 on their respective landing pages. Clearly these are capacity constrained but at these levels I don't have an issue with baggage fees and buying food.

BA if you look hard enough can offer Ł35 to AMS but it takes 5 clicks to find that this fare is from LGW and the cheapest from LHR is Ł55. baggage fees are extra

I suspect there would be far less chatter about this if BA had done two things.

1. Not used the word upgrade when describing the change

2. Offered BAEC Silver and Gold complimentary tea /coffee and perhaps a drink.

Service recovery seems to suggest they recognise internally the balls up they made of this.
Right - let me make myself quite clear. I dislike this move more than I can say. It is like watching a relative of whom one is fond moving from a nice house to a council flat on a sink estate.

What i am trying to say is that this could be a nine-day wonder. If no one buys, then they'll give up. I have seen it all before. Who else remembers that when CE came along there was nothing offered whatsoever on Paris or Amsterdam - all the crew worked Club. On longer flights ET collected their meals on the way into the aircraft. Lasted no time at all - it was inoperative. can you imagine two crew members on a busy AMS managing to serve everyone and take their cards? No one seems to to have thought of the practical product delivery side. They rely on the pricing that not a lot will be bought - but when they do there is always trouble.

The other thing that one must remember is that not one Low Cost (with the possible exceptions of those operating flights for Iberia or Lufthansa fly out of Heathrow).

What is clear is that nothing seems to have stirred people up more than this change - I just hope that they all complain to the airline rather than just here.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
Lowest economy return (books as O class) is HKD1862 inc taxes
Lowest business return (books as D class) is HKD6162 inc taxes

Using CX's own currency conversion chart, these equate to Ł198 and Ł658 sterling respectively.
Yes, sorry, you are quite right, I had overlooked the fact that many CX fares are so-called "private fares", and don't show up on my system, but certainly do on Cathay's own website. The first fare in your quote above is an Economy Save fare, as an example of this, and is widely available with a bit of advance planning.

However my core point still stands, Cathay - and Asian legacy carriers generally - charge a lot more for their service than European legacy airlines.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Fair enough c-w-s.

And yes, Asian legacy carriers can be pretty pricey for regional sectors.

Likewise Qantas on (some) domestics. Earlier this year I flew MEL-PER and was astonished to find that their lowest biz class return was coming out at over AUD2000. In the event I redeemed EK Skywards miles (although that wasn't exactly cheap either, at 76K miles). The positive was that QF's claim that their newly-configured A330's offer the best biz seat on any domestic route did - IMO - stand up (or should be that be lie-flat ......:- to scrutiny.

Anyway, think I must be well off-topic by now, apologies.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
This evening we landed at a London airport after a short haul flight (details withheld to protect all involved). As we were waiting to disembark we were chatting to the crew and the question of BOB came up. The SCC asked us what, as Gold Card holders (they obviously knew who we were), we felt about it. We advised that we had already switched many of our shorthaul flights next year to easyJet. She wasn't surprised and started to say how she was not looking forward to the prospect. Unfortunately the ground crew knocked at the door and we were unable to find out more. I wonder what other crew think about it?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Right - let me make myself quite clear. I dislike this move more than I can say. It is like watching a relative of whom one is fond moving from a nice house to a council flat on a sink estate.

What i am trying to say is that this could be a nine-day wonder. If no one buys, then they'll give up. I have seen it all before. Who else remembers that when CE came along there was nothing offered whatsoever on Paris or Amsterdam - all the crew worked Club. On longer flights ET collected their meals on the way into the aircraft. Lasted no time at all - it was inoperative. can you imagine two crew members on a busy AMS managing to serve everyone and take their cards? No one seems to to have thought of the practical product delivery side. They rely on the pricing that not a lot will be bought - but when they do there is always trouble.

The other thing that one must remember is that not one Low Cost (with the possible exceptions of those operating flights for Iberia or Lufthansa fly out of Heathrow).

What is clear is that nothing seems to have stirred people up more than this change - I just hope that they all complain to the airline rather than just here.
I agree not many will BOB. Some may elect to buy airside and bring it in. Here in US, I have seen a gradual increse in bring it from home or from outside the airport for one's taste and saving money.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Fair enough c-w-s.

And yes, Asian legacy carriers can be pretty pricey for regional sectors.

Likewise Qantas on (some) domestics. Earlier this year I flew MEL-PER and was astonished to find that their lowest biz class return was coming out at over AUD2000. In the event I redeemed EK Skywards miles (although that wasn't exactly cheap either, at 76K miles). The positive was that QF's claim that their newly-configured A330's offer the best biz seat on any domestic route did - IMO - stand up (or should be that be lie-flat ......:- to scrutiny.

Anyway, think I must be well off-topic by now, apologies.
A seemingly overkill outcome of the arms race QF and VA got themselves into, considering out of over a dozen daily segments only one is an "overnighter" and is a paltry 3.5 hrs actual flying time!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC
I've just had my last flight with free BA SH catering, PRG - LHR and was treated to a biscuit, despite usually getting a single wrap (Band 2 I think)....

Have moved all my revenue bookings to other airlines, so will now only being flying on Avios redemptions.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
I got the reply, today, to my letter to Mr Cruz about the recent changes. Interestingly, it came by email not by post which saves BA 55p I suppose. None of my specific points were addressed and it was just the cut and paste sections which others have replied to.

I visited my godson in Worcester this weekend who is getting married in January in Austria and I had to explain to him that not only would he not get free champagne when travelling out to MUC, he would have to pay for his drinks on BA from now on. He's a reasonably frequent leisure flyer but wasn't aware of the changes. His reactions was interesting: "BA can't do that - if we'd known that we would have gone with Easyjet".

And so it begins...!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by CoweyB
I had to explain to him that not only would he not get free champagne when travelling out to MUC, he would have to pay for his drinks on BA from now on.
But champagne isn't available in ET now? It's for CE passengers and lounge users, neither of which is changing. He will have a new option to buy champagne in ET after the changes, however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.