Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by A P Yu
The other carriers have Meal Deals and multi buys which I think make them slightly cheaper than the BA on board pricing
Yep very true
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Misco60
Having received a completely irrelevant cut-n-paste response to my first communication with BA Customer Services, I resubmitted my claim for compensation Avios. This is part of the reply I received:So, not only does it look like I will not be receiving any kind of compensation in lieu of the free food and drink that was promised at the time I booked my flights, but also that BA is performing a complete U-turn on its previous advertising claim that complementary food was popular and set it apart from other airlines.
I do not know (not an attorney) if F&B were "promised". I think they called it "complimentary". As to compensation what is the "fair market vlue" of 1000 avios ?

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
My eyes were immediately drawn to the line:

"will be fairly priced and will be comparable in price to airport outlets.... We won’t be charging inflated prices like no-frills carriers."
Logical question to BA would be, will you price your ticket at or below what the "true" no-frills charge for fares ?

Originally Posted by dca100
Ignoring food for a moment, I'd love to know how many of the customers involved in the "research and feedback" were demanding that drinks, including water, should become paid for. The selection won't improve from the look of things.
Dear Sir/Madam
We have received your query and appreciate the time you took to reach out to us. Our pax data including survey results are proprietary and therefore cannot be shared with anyone.

Originally Posted by stewaran
Ive just been offered a Ł20 e-voucher for my 2017 bookings which total 6 flights.

Ł3.33 each pax ticket!
Oh well better than nothing!
How about you send a personal cheque for 3.33 GBP to Mr Cruz with a note saying "you need this more than I do ".
A cut & paste reply would have to be something worthy of framing.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You know your place in the grand scheme of things now too.
Ouch !
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
How can you use chargeback on something you didn't pay for in the first place?
Easy, by calling your credit card company. BA have removed an advertised benefit. That is sufficient. I am astonished more people are not taking this route.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Easy, by calling your credit card company. BA have removed an advertised benefit. That is sufficient. I am astonished more people are not taking this route.
You're rather getting your panties in a twist about this. BA has offered you the chance to cancel your flight without penalty or to receive 1,000 Avios compensation which can be used to purchase roughly what BA would have otherwise provided.

I don't support BA's decision in removing inclusive F&B in ET but they've not trampled on your legal rights.

I guess if you really felt that 1,000 Avios wouldn't cover your F&B costs on a given flight (feasible on band 3-4) and you couldn't get a refund and buy an alternative flight on another carrier then you could send BA your receipt for your purchases after flying and demand a refund. It's petty but I expect BA would pay up rather than deal with a small claim for which is likely to be sub Ł15.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
You're rather getting your panties in a twist about this. BA has offered you the chance to cancel your flight without penalty or to receive 1,000 Avios compensation which can be used to purchase roughly what BA would have otherwise provided.

I don't support BA's decision in removing inclusive F&B in ET but they've not trampled on your legal rights.
Agreed. If it's tolerable then take the flight. If it's a step too far, cancel. The choice is there.

It isn't a chargeback/S75 issue.

There are few destinations that can't be accessed on another carrier.

Reality with this things is always that you get plenty of venting but in a year's time most of those people will still be flying BA. Principally due to convenience, addiction to status, or because they are flying at someone else's expense.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just had exactly the same email as others ...

I can see you made your booking before our new catering offering was announced. I’m sorry the current complimentary service will no longer be available when you travel. However, you’ll now be able to buy from the delicious and seasonally inspired M&S menu. Branded beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks will also be available to buy.

As a gesture, please accept 1,000 Avios. The Avios have been added to your Executive Club account and can be used to purchase items on board short-haul flights from 11 January.
I wonder what I will spend that on? Not BoB, that's for sure!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by headingwest
So I tried calling up again regarding my 6 shorthaul bookings from January. They offered me the 1,000 Avios for the 6 bookings. I typically have 2 drinks and the snack which equates to roughly Ł15 from the new menu, so Ł90 for my 6 flights and they've offered me 1,000 Avios in total, about Ł10. To say I'm disgusted is putting it mildly.
That's 1,000 more Avios than I was offered!

I'm tempted to respond and forewarn them that I will purchase equivalent items onboard and pursue them after the flights under the Consumer Rights Act (I need to do some more reading). I would offer them alternative of upgrading me to CE, but I've got exit row seats...
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I note that the particular cut & paste response received by T8191 talks of a 'seasonally-inspired M&S menu.....'

What is it about menus that encourages so many empty words ....?

The sample options I've seen listed so far include such exotic delights as bacon rolls, cheese sandwiches and beef sandwiches. Nothing inherently wrong with those per se - albeit highly unimaginative ; but which of them I wonder are worthy of the description 'seasonally-inspired' ......
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by TabTraveller

I guess if you really felt that 1,000 Avios wouldn't cover your F&B costs on a given flight (feasible on band 3-4) and you couldn't get a refund and buy an alternative flight on another carrier then you could send BA your receipt for your purchases after flying and demand a refund. It's petty but I expect BA would pay up rather than deal with a small claim for which is likely to be sub Ł15.
I quite like sections 50, 54 and 56 of the Consumer Rights Act. Only offering me the cancellation option up to 28 days out when I have it up to 24 hours in advance seems pointless. Appropriate price reduction would seem to fit the bill though (which 1,000 Avios would be). Have asked them if they could explain how their position is consistent with the Act as I'm sure BA's legal department has ensured it is...

(I tend to treat these sorts of situations as an amusing diversion and a chance to 'discipline' errant companies)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
I note that the particular cut & paste response received by T8191 talks of a 'seasonally-inspired M&S menu.....'

The sample options I've seen listed so far include such exotic delights as bacon rolls, cheese sandwiches and beef sandwiches. Nothing inherently wrong with those per se - albeit highly unimaginative ; but which of them I wonder are worthy of the description 'seasonally-inspired' ......
Wot! They didn't throw in "appropriate to the time of day" as well?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flyoff
I note that BA didn't pre-plan this change of policy too well. This months Business Life magazine that I skimmed through at the weekend is advertising the comlimentary drinks on board. They could at least have added some ** and put something in the small print at the bottom of the page! BA have not handled this at all well.
Unless the current issue of Business Life magazine is not due to be renewed until February 2017 or later, then I don't see the problem.

You don't expect this week's Radio Times to give warnings or times of the programmes for transmission in January!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Perhaps the 'seasonally inspired' element means you get a bit of limp lettuce leaf* in the Summer months, but NOT during Winter?

Edit .... * in the sandwich

Last edited by T8191; Oct 6, 2016 at 3:04 am
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by T8191
Perhaps the 'seasonally inspired' element means you get a bit of limp lettuce leaf in the Summer months, but NOT during Winter?
'Seasonally inspired' will mean they will chuck on cans of Pimms in the summer and Christmas Cake in the Winter. For the rest of the year the carts will be maximised with Food which has the best combination of selling well and the best shelf life
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)

Maybe they will have pumpkin spice coffee......
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
Not to mention brunch
and supper of course
plus pre-breakfast

Extended breakfast and afternoon tea are KEY meal times. After all, customers want meals appropriate to the time of day. Presumably there'll be an afternoon meal deal on a cup of tea and Percy pigs or for extended breakfast a cup of coffee, juice and a yoghurt.

Presumably sandwiches and salads won't be available between 09:30 and 12:00 and between 14:00 and 17:00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.