Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think 'clear winner' is rather an overstatement. BA is £0.20 cheaper on tea and coffee (but by the way, £0.20 more expensive on hot chocolate, and BE has a large range of regular and herbal teas which BA apparently doesn't), and actually BA is also £0.50 cheaper on beer as I think BE charges £4.50 and not £4. Both are similar on water, and wine, BA is £0.10 more expensive on mixers. BA offers full size coke, which BE doesn't, but BE offer more fancy and usually more expensive full size drinks - such as San Pellegrino limonta or appletiser - for the same price as BA's coke. BA are £0.70 more expensive on fruit juice. Bombay and tonic is £0.10 more on BE but you can have a Gordon G&T for £0.10 less than BA and other same or comparable spirits and mixers are all £0.10 less on BE.

I know you said you won't mention food because selections vary, and you are right because there is surprisingly little overlap in products cjhoice, but to give two examples where there is, BE yoghurt is £1.50 against BA £1.95, and all BA sandwiches bar a cheese sandwich are £4.75 whilst BE sandwiches are all £4.

Finally, BE have lots of meal deals and combos which BA (apparently) does not, So the moment you get drink and food together, it very quickly gets more expensive onBA.

On the whole, I really do not see BA as a 'clear winner' on prices. They strike me as broadly in line on drinks and BA globally a bit more expensive on food as they pass on the M&S surcharge on to you so let's hope that all the comments that people are not willing to pay more for fancier service on flights are of course invalid when it comes to sandwiches and yoghurts or that extra £0.75 on sandwiches might prove a turn off.

PS: to be honest, though, I think that BA is in far more direct short haul competition with U2 and to a lesser extent FR than with BE which flies more "regional" routes. BA drinks prices are almost identical with U2 except juice which is more expensive on BA. Sandwiches - hot or cold - on U2 are £4.50 so again a little cheaper unless you fancy cheese. However, U2 has a tonne of meal deals, snack deals, etc which bring prices down quite a lot compared to BA if you ever fancy something to eat and to drink (e.g. breakfast, dinner, or longer flights). FR is typically a bit cheaper.
Yes, completely agree. Thought it was an interesting comparison to make but had forgotten about the Flybe meal deals etc.

I suppose it's always going to vary and as I said it's all roughly the same so BA have clearly done their research.

My approach to this is as someone who does domestic flying every week, so I admit my stance towards this is somewhat biased to those flights!

Good to read your thoughts ^
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
Tweeted BA yesterday about this as I had a negative response when calling re compensation. Nothing from them either as yet via this channel.

Quite funny though was I got a response from a new twitter account "Not British Airways" @toflytosell. Some of there responses are quite amusing and if anyone is looking to see the lighter comedy side of a subject that let's face it isn't life or death might want to follow or like some of the tweets.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Was offered the 1000 avios within 48hrs by email.
Still not very happy as I have a 4 hour flight which normally means a snack and several beers.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
When I called customer services at the weekend regarding my 6 flights (4 separate bookings) I was offered 1,000 Avios for the lot, which I said this was unacceptable.

I have a sneaky feeling that they've been told that it's a max of 1,000 Avios per claim. So I thought I'd make it easy for them, therefore, have fired off 4 separate claims (one for each booking) using the online form. We'll see where that gets me.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This amused me. I'd add to your examples: lunch, any other time you want to eat something.
Not to mention brunch
and supper of course
plus pre-breakfast

Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold member Marriott Platinum
just to clarify are BA offering 1k per booking or 1k per person on the booking? I have a family of 5 on a 4.5 hour flight and 1k would be a derisory pointless amount to offer.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:26 am

I have had a positive response regarding my complaints submitted via the online customer service form (response time approx. 48 hours).

Trip 1 - 8 people under one booking - Return Flight
1,000 Avios awarded to each of the 6 passengers in the booking who are BA Exec Club members. An offer of a £5 eVoucher (whatever this might be?) to be emailed to the 2 people who are not BA Exec Club members.

Trip 2 - 2 people under one booking - One-way Flight
1,000 Avios awarded per person.

I also have two one-way short-haul BA flights booked as AmericanAirlines redemptions (don't ask!). As this is on BA metal I would like to submit a further complaint with the hope of getting the 1,000 Avios per person for these also. Does anyone have any advice or experience on the best route for this, and likelihood of success?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gulliver_UK
. An offer of a £5 eVoucher (whatever this might be?) to be emailed to the 2 people who are not BA Exec Club members.
This is a bit like an Amazon gift voucher, it's a code reference which you can easily use online to knock money off a flight, there is a box in the booking process to do this. In a way I wish BA made more use of this, in that it would allow people to keep a wadge of money for easy payment, if the credit card authorisation gets too complex (e.g. on mobile devices). In this case it's unlikely to happen but if it was a larger amount and you didn't spend all of it then your voucher would be reissued automatically with the residual amount.

The only catch is that if you have to subsequently alter the ticket it can get messy. E.g. if you buy a Plus ticket and try to change it on the day you may well have to go to a counter to effect the change, online it's unlikely to work.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Recent flight the cc near on implored me to write in and complain about the changes as "they'll never know otherwise"

Near on blushing with embarrassment as they distributed mars bars and kit kats
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Submitted my 'complaint/claim' on the 29th ... nothing heard yet.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
Recent flight the cc near on implored me to write in and complain about the changes as "they'll never know otherwise"

Near on blushing with embarrassment as they distributed mars bars and kit kats
Yeah, must be a pretty miserable time to work for BA at the moment.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by headingwest
Yeah, must be a pretty miserable time to work for BA at the moment.
And it will get worse in January.
I cant wait to hear feedback from the crew undergoing the training and in particular their feedback on the deliverability (?) of this new service.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Yes I was wondering as well about the "deliverability" assuming that pax embrace this BOB approach...heck it takes some CC long enough to deliver a roll in a box sometimes never mind the fact of actually "cooking" or "counting out money" although I guess it will be all credit card or whatever....I can see it now...that long awaited bacon roll as the flight deck announced "thats 10 minutes, 10 minutes to landing"...indeed, a culture change for many I think...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I sent a complaint a few days ago. I have 12 flights affected. Received an answer to my complaint today basically plagiarising what I wrote, then adding the rubbish about claiming it was due to customer feedback (whilst my email explicitly mentioned that I heard they mentioned that it was customer feedback to others, that I didn't believe it and hoped that they would at least spare me that claim).

That's it. Definitely no suggestion of compensation in cash or avios, possibility to cancel without penalty or anything else.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That's it. Definitely no suggestion of compensation in cash or avios, possibility to cancel without penalty or anything else.
That's disappointing. No chance of HUACA in this case either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.