Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 16, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by percy pig View Post
thanks!
HA!!
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
well at least there wont be too much change to their brand and marketing...

BA.com now becomes Budget Airlines dot com
Suspended

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
The quality and prices for the food looks relatively OK to me, especially in comparison to the BoB offer from US airlines.
Agree, but the question is what do they stock --

-- all of it?

-- some of each?

-- what's left when they get to your row?

Where exactly is the limit for "short haul" flights with British Airways? Going to the original page of the press release, there seems to be no category for "mid haul", which would suggest short haul could be anything up to 4-6 hours?
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
And following on from dsf's link, one interesting point is that to some degree BAEC cardholders have had some protection here, in that on a commercial ticket, even a 40 fare will come with 625 Avios for a Gold cardholder. So to that extent if the Avios were expendable in this form then even the cheapest revenue ticket would generate approx 5 of Buy on Board merchandise. Now this is still taking the Avios away, nothing is "free" here, but BAEC members do have an interesting option.

It's fascinating they went through this thought process. Reworded: the corporate customers will just expense the difference, so a less than visible fare increase. Leisure travellers can dip into their Avios balance, and I bet there will be a few Hilton style promotions rolling from here on.

I'm also in the "it could be worse" category. It does seem a better Buy on Board menu than Ryanair and easyJet, and a much better value menu than IB, EI and VY.
Assuming you're gold and can find a 40 fare! A 40 fare is much easier to find with Easyjet...

I wouldn't be able to expense tonights G&T, when I don't see it possible to maintain status (which I won't next year) then there is no incentive other than the quite nice chair to use BA. The brekkie is a major differentiater for me on my morning domestic flights and tipple is a major differentiater on the way back up.

Tis a shame, but I don't really care, my weekly commute finishes in three weeks
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
Agree, but the question is what do they stock --

-- all of it?

-- some of each?

-- what's left when they get to your row?
Wonder if it will be like easyJet - I've been told that their trolleys don't get replenished inbetween flights. So if you're on the last flight of whatever plane on a day then you're left with one sandwich, three packs of crisps and a bottle of overpriced water....
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
My comment comes from pretty much eating the entire easyJet menu, I fly with them at least weekly. Their sandwiches are not great.
Do you know when they say "M&S" whether these will be made in the same factory where M&S make theirs, or it's basically a licence for BA's current caterer to make them but to "M&S spec"?

If the products are good quality then I don't think this is too bad - it's good to see fresh fruit, yoghurt etc on there.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't switched IST to a mid haul route though - BA is competing with EZY but forgetting about TK for instance, who offer a better hard and soft product.

Percy Pigs will be a big seller.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Hilarious.
Selling T and Coffee - those cups will obviously get much larger and the (minimum) crew will need to run up and down the aisle filling them up more.

This will be fun to watch
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Noobflyer59 View Post
Where exactly is the limit for "short haul" flights with British Airways? Going to the original page of the press release, there seems to be no category for "mid haul", which would suggest short haul could be anything up to 4-6 hours?
There is a clear limit for short haul which is any flight branded with Euro Traveller/Club Europe cabins - that includes IST, ATH, LCA etc.

Any flight branded with World Traveller/Club World is long haul - that includes TLV, AMM, CAI, DME.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:47 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
My comment comes from pretty much eating the entire easyJet menu, I fly with them at least weekly. Their sandwiches are not great.
Nah, they're not great, but then I'm not a huge fan of M&S stuff either. I think it's a bit overpriced at high street prices for what it is, never mind these prices. But I obviously can't criticise it until I've had it in the air.

I think people looking at the M&S branding are going to be very underwhelmed, which is why I think it is a big reputational risk for M&S to get involved in this. BA must be paying them well, which makes me wonder what the point of the whole process really is.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
There is a clear limit for short haul which is any flight branded with Euro Traveller/Club Europe cabins - that includes IST, ATH, LCA etc.

Any flight branded with World Traveller/Club World is long haul - that includes TLV, AMM, CAI, DME.
Yep and UK Domestic is 'short haul' too, including Business UK tickets. I just wonder if they'll introduce a business cabin on Anglo-Scotland routes.

Programs: Gold Actually
Anyone received the email about what will happen to their already booked flight?

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Last 3 sub-2 hour EasyJet flights I've been on have failed to get through the whole cabin with f&b, so if you're in the wrong seat on BA now, the trolley may not even get to you before the service is pulled prior to landing.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer View Post
1.80 for a water?

Bye bye, BA. No more short-haul revenue from me.
Charging for drinking water is ridiculous. Especially as they make too many customers sprint between flights in order to even have a chance to try to make the onward connecting flights.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
BA customer relations have been instructed to give up to 1,000 Avios per passenger per booking to compensate which is enough for a 'drink and a snack'.

Also able to cancel for a full refund up to 28 days prior to departure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: