Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:05 am

You can pay avios through the app. What the app taketh away the app can giveth.

The app can know a lot of stuff. If you visited the lounge, for instance. It can award avios for onboard spending this trip only. Its service operating procedures are universal. It can be updated in months.

Blessed be the name of the director of marketing.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Have they not trialed this at all or are they jumping straight in?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Despite what BA have done here for every person they lose they will gain a new punter for whatever reason. BA'S aircraft will still be packed in all cabins across all flights you can guarantee it. Aircraft sitting on the tarmac with no passengers on it and not willing to fly with BA is not going to happen I highly doubt it anyway.
Any muppet can fill a plane. It's what the passengers are paying that counts. If you lose a premium passenger and fill the seat with a low cost fare that doesn't seem a great deal to me.

Also if you lose a regular spender and replace with occasional travellers that isn't the same.

BA's revenue per available seat kilometre was down quite sharply last results IIRC.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:26 am

I have to be in London on 11th January (D-day) for one of my regular day trips. I am toying with the idea to book BA just to see day 1 of BOB in action, and the fact that BA is surprisingly cheaper. I normally take LX into LCY, but my curiosity is getting the better of me No doubt, the staff will not be particularly enamoured with the changes nor will the passengers who are not aware.

I can take either the ZRH-LHR 709 at 07:10 or the 711 at 10:40. The 709 aircraft nightstops, so I am not sure if the BOB menu would be shipped over with the previous evening's flight? Or would the originating flight from LHR on the 11th be the first to carry the new menu?

In any case, I am on the 709 on the 13th!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I have to be in London on 11th January (D-day) for one of my regular day trips. I am toying with the idea to book BA just to see day 1 of BOB in action, and the fact that BA is surprisingly cheaper. I normally take LX into LCY, but my curiosity is getting the better of me No doubt, the staff will not be particularly enamoured with the changes nor will the passengers who are not aware.
Great idea rossmacd, you've got me thinking now as it will certainly be great entertainment.

Don't forget to take a nice lot of food and drinks with you to rub it in!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Have they not trialed this at all or are they jumping straight in?
Not sure if there have been any trials or not. But (notwithstanding any potential issues surrounding payment practicalities & logistics) we do know that extensive and detailed research has been conducted ; the clear result of which was that BA customers were found to be quite special, in that they all much prefer to pay for food & drink onboard, rather than being offered it on a complimentary basis as hitherto.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
AC has had BOB in domestic Y for quite awhile now and quite frankly I can exist in their Y on 4.5->5.5 hour YYZ-YYC or YVR domestic short haul flights just by eating before I get to or by buying something in the airport. I don't mind buying a beer on the plane on a trip that length. If this BOB is a cost saving move it might work but if BA thinks it's going to be a money spinner i think they are going to be mistaken on the relatively short European flights.
While it will be theoretically possible to buy a beer on BA, it appears to be limited to Becks for lager
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can take either the ZRH-LHR 709 at 07:10 or the 711 at 10:40. The 709 aircraft nightstops, so I am not sure if the BOB menu would be shipped over with the previous evening's flight? Or would the originating flight from LHR on the 11th be the first to carry the new menu?

In any case, I am on the 709 on the 13th!
Indeed you've got to avoid a night stopped service. So BA709 would be one of the last mainline services with Free on Board, though the LCY-ZRH (etc) services will continue for several months more, so you're better placed than most!

Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Great idea rossmacd, you've got me thinking now as it will certainly be great entertainment.

Don't forget to take a nice lot of food and drinks with you to rub it in!
I am not sure it will be entertainment, as I guess the crew will be in for a rough ride, both from a service stand point and dealing with potentially aggrieved passengers.

However, it will be good to see if the M&S produce is as delicious and fresh as the BA website is portraying.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed you've got to avoid a night stopped service. So BA709 would be one of the last mainline services with Free on Board, though the LCY-ZRH (etc) services will continue for several months more, so you're better placed than most!
Thanks - I was not sure how this transition would play out. I can take the 711 for the experience.

I shall await the fanfare to announce an on-time arrival. Oh wait...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by HMPS
I know a few flyers who bring an empty water bottle thru security and then fill it up at a water fountain. Saves them $ 2.50 !
I do that but try finding a water fountain in many airports!

Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just got excited by a Flybe call for expanding LHR so they could serve 12 domestic routes. Sadly, on further analysis, none of them compete with BA routes. As I use BA domestic flights for business, I need to go to places like Manchester and Glasgow, not Carlisle and Humberside!

As Flybe is BoB also - it would just mean freeing me from BA's monopoly now they are a LCC too.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander
I do that but try finding a water fountain in many airports!
They do have taps in the toilets you know!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I tend to believe those at IAG/BA know what they're doing but we'll just have to wait and see.
BoB must be something they've seriously been looking into for years so I doubt the decision has been taken lightly.
I don't think it was a decision dreamed up last week, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they know what they're doing.

They see the revenues that EasyJet make from Buy on Board but forget that Aer Lingus barely scrapes their costs back. I think they think that BA customers will just suck it up because BA's brand is strong. No doubt they'll have hired marketing consultants who've told them what they want to hear.

I'm not so convinced as you are that this is the case, I don't think BA's brand is that strong anymore, but the proof isn't wibbling on a message board two days after the change, it's two years down the line. Any fool can fill a plane, the question will be whether BA still get the high-yield passengers or whether they're full of people who think they may as well fly BA for an extra tenner compared to Ryanair.

I don't know the answer, my instinct is that this is an error of judgment, but in eighteen months with yields up and costs down I could well be shown to be totally wrong.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks - I was not sure how this transition would play out. I can take the 711 for the experience.
If you do, pay by App (or try to) and ask for the bluetoothed receipt, for the full effect. I appear to be on a JER-LGW and a LHR-NCL on that day (so far, it's a long way off by my travel standards). OK, I'll have to find a way to downgrade to ET, but I'm also intrigued how this works on shorter routes.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by headingwest
They do have taps in the toilets you know!
To be honest, whilst this is indeed fine enough in many places, 1) some airport toilets do not have separate hot and cold taps, and water from warm or lukewarm circuits is far more likely to be contaminated, 2) there are a small number of airports (a few in Eastern Europe, a few in some Mediterranean islands) where I would avoid drinking bathroom tap water for either safety or taste reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.