Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I've never been so angry with BA.
So cancel and book with the competition then. If not, what's the point in moaning here?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
LONDON - DUBLIN, outbound 1st DEC, return 8th DEC

BA (from Heathrow/City/Gatwick), cheapest return £73.21 (Heathrow)
Fare: £20.00
APD: £13.00
Passenger Service Charge: £29.81
Irish Passenger S.C: £10.40
Total: £73.21
Pay by credit card: + £5.00 = £78.21

RYANAIR (from Gatwick or Stansted), cheapest return £29.98
Total: £29.98
Pay by credit card: + £0.60 = £30.58

Difference about £48 but for Silver and Golds lounge access included, plus earn Avios and TPs, plus LHR or LCY may be more convenient.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LONDON - FRANKFURT, outbound 1st DEC, return 8th DEC

BA (from Heathrow/City), cheapest return £100.01
Fare: £20.00
PSC: £29.81
Germany PSC: £22.90
Germany Security Charge: £7.90
Germany Tax: £6.40
Total: £100.01
Pay by credit card: + £5.00 = £105.01

RYANAIR (Stansted to Hahn): £39.98
Pay by credit card + £0.80 = £40.78

Difference about £60. Hahn is in the middle of nowhere. As above lounges, convenient of LHR and Avios/TPs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON - MADRID, 1st-8th DEC

BA (from Heathrow and City, Gatwick codeshare), cheapest BA metal from LHR £90.41 but no HBO fares (So BA has one checked luggage for this route).
Fare: £30.00
PSC: £29.81
Spanish departure tax: £13.90
Spanish Security Fee: £0.50
Spanish security Tax: £3.20
Total: £90.41
Pay by credit card + £5.00 = £95.41

RYANAIR (from Stansted), cheapest fare for the date chosen £63.73
Pay by credit card: + £1.27 = £65.00
*if you are flexible the cheapest return can be had for £33.98 or £40.18 depends on your flexibility

Difference about £30. As above lounges, Avios/TPs and convenience with BA.

EASYJET (from Gatwick and Luton, the cheapest departure from Luton and back to either airport), cheapest fare £49.98
Pay by credit card: + £0.49 = £50.47

NORWEGIAN (from Gatwick), cheapest fare £55.60
FARE: £11.20
TAXES and FEES: £44.40 (compulsory tax total £30.60, assume Gatwick charge £13.80)
TOTAL: £55.60
Pay by credit card: + £1.10 = £56.70

So how BA is going to compete (as Alex Cruz the cutter said that BA need to face the competition from LCC) if BA can not match the price at all while actively lower its standard to or below the LCC competitor? And do not let me start with ONE WAY fares!
If I was a silver or gold it would be a no brainer for me.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave_C
So cancel and book with the competition then. If not, what's the point in moaning here?
That wasn't an option that I was given, otherwise I most certainly would.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:16 am

That wasn't an option that I was given, otherwise I most certainly would.
They're not proactively offering it, but you can cancel all of the affected bookings free of charge. If you call back, they can process that.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
They're not proactively offering it, but you can cancel all of the affected bookings free of charge. If you call back, they can process that.
All my bookings are made through online travel agents.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You said:

...As to LCC competition, my experience simply does not tally with what you describe. On my most regular route, LON-MRS, I can often get a return on FR for £40-60, one on Easyjet for £60-80. I will be very lucky if I find one on BA for less than £100. Yes, these are from different airports. But it seems to me that a large porportion of the London flying public is not tied to a particular airport. Sure, there will be preferences (I would prefer LHR over LGW over STN) but these does not mean that there is no competition between flights from different airports...

I simply remarked that your price differential doesn't take into account the benefit of lounge access and a cheaper to get to airport (and later I said Avios and TP earning potential too). That's it.
But your comment is premised on people taking a calculator, something I suggested most people tend not to do, so you isolated a small portion of reasoning rather than following the full flow of the argument.

I'm finding hard to understand what the 'mistake' is that you say I've made
The mistake would be to over-estimate the significance of transport costs or lounge access in airline choice. Sure, for some people it will be important but for most it won't.

Could it be that you made a mistake in saying that I made a mistake?
It cannot be ruled out but my inclination, for the reasons above, would be that you might be making a mistake in saying that I made a mistake in saying that you made a mistake in saying that I made a mistake.

More seriously, you are correct that a fully accurate comparison of costs should include factors such as transport costs, any benefits provided at the airport such as lounge access and any other FFP perk such as FF miles. What I am questioning is the significance of these in average Joe's decision as to whether to fly BA rather than U2 or FR and positing that whether average Joe perceives BA as a "better airline" or not is more likely to influence whether they are ready to pay a (moderately) higher headline fare to fly on BA.

Last edited by NickB; Oct 1, 2016 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by NickB
But your comment is premised on people taking a calculator, something I suggested most people tend not to do, so you isolated a small portion of reasoning rather than following the full flow of the argument.

Yes I did. I added valuable context in one area, on a post in an internet forum @:-) And?

The mistake would be to over-estimate the significance of transport costs or lounge access in airline choice. Sure, for some people it will be important but for most it won't.

But I didn't do that.

It cannot be ruled out but my inclination, for the reasons above, would be that you are making a mistake in saying that I made a mistake in saying that you made a mistake in saying that I made a mistake.

More seriously, you are correct that a fully accurate comparison of costs should include factors such as transport costs, any benefits provided at the airport such as lounge access and any other FFP perk such as FF miles. What I am questioning is the significance of these in average Joe's decision as to whether to fly BA rather than U2 or FR and positing that whether average Joe perceives BA as a "better airline" or not is more likely to influence whether they are ready to pay a higher headline fare to fly on BA.

Maybe you underestimate 'Average Joe', whoever the owner of that unfortunate label is
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have now booked a couple of inconvenient LHR-ATH-VIE flights on A3 just because I want BA to know I am not happy with the lack of ET catering (and to also try A3 as I read some good reports by headingwest on A3 forum).
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:37 am

All my bookings are made through online travel agents.
Dunno then. Wait for the externally facing policy to be published on Speedbirdclub I guess. Try calling BA and ask them to put notes in the booking so that the OTA can authorise the cancellation?

But that's the only way it'll change.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have now booked a couple of inconvenient LHR-ATH-VIE flights on A3 just because I want BA to know I am not happy with the lack of ET catering (and to also try A3 as I read some good reports by headingwest on A3 forum).
Somewhat inconvenient routing, granted , but you will not be disappointed.

Would OS direct or LH via MUC/FRA or LX/AF not be more convenient?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:50 am

But that's the only way it'll change.
What I don't think you realise is that I've already been switching my shorthaul flying away from BA even before this latest announcement. These 6 flights were booked ages ago - some back in February. SK, FR and A3 are all winners. BA is the loser.

If BA authorised the agents to cancel the bookings the agents would still take their cut, believe me I've experienced this too!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Somewhat inconvenient routing, granted , but you will not be disappointed.

Would OS direct or LH via MUC/FRA or LX/AF not be more convenient?
I do like OS and travel with them quite often (though I do not publish them in my BA97), but wanted to try something new, and given my TK status is expiring next year, time to start building my A3 status and the upgrade certificated will come handy. ^
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:57 am

What I don't think you realise is that I've already been switching my shorthaul flying away from BA even before this latest announcement. These 6 flights were booked ages ago - some back in February. SK, FR and A3 are all winners. BA is the loser.

If BA authorised the agents to cancel the bookings the agents would still take their cut, believe me I've experienced this too!
BA isn't the loser if you were not a profitable customer though.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:59 am

BA isn't the loser if you were not a profitable customer though.
BA will always be a loser in my eyes now.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

If I was a silver or gold it would be a no brainer for me.
Let us use LON-DUB as example for a difference of £47.63

As a Gold member, you get 625 avios, silver 375 avios (cheapest booked in O class)
So let us average it out for the sake of comparison. It means on average silver and gold member would get 500 Avios and 5 TP. But for the sake of comparison, we use Silver as the yardstick.

Since 375 Avios is equal to the BA BOB value of £3.00. For a return it would be £6.00 value of Avios and 10 TP.

So now the price difference is down to £41.63 per return.

To qualify for Silver, you need 600 TPs. Let us not consider any other route but LON - DUB since we are doing the absolute comparison. You need to fly 60 returns on this route in this price to get to Silver. However, since you qualify on the 50th BA flight so that is a minimum of 25 returns to qualify for Silver.

So that you will have to pay over £1190.75 (or, as a silver member, the difference is £1,040.75 after deduct Avios benefits) in price difference in order to get lounge access.

If you are blue card member and bronze card member, the price difference is even much bigger.

Do you really wish to pay £1,040.75 per year to get lounge access just to have a pack of crisps and a glass of water or whatever? You might think it is worth the money at present. But you may want to think twice when BA starts to cut in lounges as the next source of cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.