FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

Ldnn1 Sep 30, 2016 6:11 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63 (Post 27283816)
And "Customer buy-onboarding" is now on Alex Cruz's CV. :D

^ :D

allturnleft Sep 30, 2016 6:24 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 27283554)
I've been told I can't consume own alcohol on board when I brought an ale along from the lounge once. Non-MF. Not done it since but might be time to try again once this comes into place!

Got a nice image of a bottle of Chateau neuf de Pap on an ET fold down tray purchased in durty free with 2 wine glasses nicely packed in hand luggage

Cap'n Benj Sep 30, 2016 6:29 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 27283641)
What makes you think that though? Frankly, airline pricing is wholly unrelated to costs so even if you assume that BA's costs will go down (which is far from obvious), it does not in any way follow that BA will charge any less as a result than they would otherwise.

Fair point, costs may increase offering BOB and it is simply just a profit centre in its own right as opposed to a cost cutting exercise.

Otherwise again, there is no certainty any fares will fall, you'd assume if the goal is to go after the LCC market (as people suggest BA now are one of) then, if this is a cost cutting exercise, as again people here are assuming, they are iobviously in a better position to compete on fare

Calchas Sep 30, 2016 6:37 am

Originally Posted by David_Doyle (Post 27283748)
I think this is a discussion for the other thread, but the Oneworld lounge access privileges trump what BA might wish to do.

Oneworld is partly owned by BA. It isn't going to stop BA doing what it wants. There is already precedent in the form of QF and AA who have their own rules. But I am not so sure that lounges will be restricted.

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63 (Post 27283816)
And "Customer buy-onboarding" is now on Alex Cruz's CV. :D

:D :D :D

CoweyB Sep 30, 2016 6:40 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 27281924)
Well having always booked BA into IST I have now just booked TK. The bag of crisps hurt but this is the nail in the coffin.

You will certainly have a better meal than on BA. I have stopped flying BA to IST and ATH and now go with TK (that's three trips to IST coming up in Business Class that would otherwise have gone to BA)

Check out the status challenge match on the TK forum that will get you *Alliance lounge access.

Rubecula Sep 30, 2016 7:12 am

How BA have announced this is awful. To borrow a couple of phrases:

1) It is nonsense on stilts to suggest this is an upgrade,
2) If this is an upgrade then I am a banana.

However what BA should do with ET does not seem clearcut:

1) Carry on with the basic free food and drink,
2) Provide a decent food and drink service which will require a fare increase,
3) Go buy on board.

The general trend among airlines is to reduce fares and on board catering for short haul. I thought BA might have been able to buck this trend but suspect the majority of short haul passengers do prefer lower fares over on board catering.

The one thing BA has over LCCs is CE. Current CE fares, even if you buy in advance, are eyewateringly high if you don’t have a Saturday away. I wonder whether they will now reduce CE prices when booked well in advance.

Silver Fox Sep 30, 2016 7:15 am

First they came for ET, then they came for CE. If anyone thinks this is the end of the upgrades, think again. Fair play to all of you that are making a stand on this.

xenole Sep 30, 2016 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula (Post 27283981)

The one thing BA has over LCCs is CE. Current CE fares, even if you buy in advance, are eyewateringly high if you don’t have a Saturday away. I wonder whether they will now reduce CE prices when booked well in advance.

They'll put CE fares up now in order to differentiate between economy BoB and "business" with food/drink included and many here will happily pay to not be in a LCC cabin.

Rubecula Sep 30, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 27284008)
They'll put CE fares up now in order to differentiate between economy BoB and "business" with food/drink included and many here will happily pay to not be in a LCC cabin.

There is already a significant differential. This change might increase demand for CE a bit but I do think there is scope for BA to be more imaginative.

xenole Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula (Post 27284048)
There is already a significant differential. This change might increase demand for CE a bit but I do think there is scope for BA to be more imaginative.

Imaginative;)

Lefly Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534 (Post 27283230)
I also cannot see how the current lounge offerings will survive this; they will surely decide to remove anything that can be easily lifted e.g. packets of crisps or cans of drink.

IB survives just well. There is no reason related to full BoB introduction to change anything in the lounges.

irishguy28 Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 27283851)
Got a nice image of a bottle of Chateau neuf de Pap on an ET fold down tray purchased in durty free with 2 wine glasses nicely packed in hand luggage

If only the planes were "durty free" :D

That'll be the next step - customers asked to offload all their own garbage [and maybe even luggage!].

Instead of a hot towel there'll be a wet wipe just before landing to "clean" your seat area for the next occupant.

irishguy28 Sep 30, 2016 7:40 am

Originally Posted by GLABA (Post 27283809)

Is the FA a midget or is this the real portion size? Looks great value!

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw that photo!

henners Sep 30, 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula (Post 27283981)
However what BA should do with ET does not seem clearcut:

1) Carry on with the basic free food and drink,
2) Provide a decent food and drink service which will require a fare increase,
3) Go buy on board.

There are a lot of halfway houses between (1) and (3). They could have brought in BOB for food, but continue to give drinks and snacks for free. They could have kept tea/coffee/water/soft drinks free. They could have done that plus given beer and wine for free, etc, etc, etc.

That BA went from quite a good free drinks service to nothing, plus claimed it as an upgrade is why we're all so frustrated.

I note that the PR article from Business Insider regurgitated around most outlets describes the current offering as "free soft drinks", which I don't think is an accidental error - when BA write that copy, it was part of the downplaying what a great inclusive service is being enhanced away.

irishguy28 Sep 30, 2016 7:51 am

1 Attachment(s)
I was surprised when BA joined the European Low Fares Airline Association (ELFAA) last year as soon as they (and IB) quit AEA as a result of the latter grouping's hostile stance towards the Gulf carriers.

Now, it looks like they are in the right place.