Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 16, 6:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire, AA EXP, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*
If it is definitely confirmed that AVIOS ET reservations can be cancelled with the fee for redepositing miles waived and taxes fully refunded can this be added to the Wiki?
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by dsf View Post
They told me on Twitter that they are enabling customers to purchase food.
Who invents these expressions?

Nearly as good as onboarding which this week I found is used by people who aren't getting onto a boat.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:27 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post

Nearly as good as onboarding which this week I found is used by people who aren't getting onto a boat.
"Empowerment" was loved by my former employer and hated by all of the staff!
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63 View Post
Well they kind of are in the beginning by giving customers 1000 avios on existing bookings but I somehow doubt that's what they meant.
Has anyone actually received those miles yet??? I just fired off 20 requests for all my flights booked up until April - I wont hold my breath!!!

aks120
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:33 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Concerning payment being contactless and Avion only, it reminded me of when DY started their long haul venture. On board paiement were cards only. During the first month after the launch, an old women has to be taken away by paramedics after landing : dehydration. She did not have a valid credit card (only some local debit card) but enough cash to buy water which she asked for.
I do not remember the follow up but now either water is free or cash accepted on DY.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

<snip>
- guest must be travelling on same flight
<snip>

Prove me wrong
I think this is a discussion for the other thread, but the Oneworld lounge access privileges trump what BA might wish to do.

"Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier."

There are some exceptions to the rule but these are limited - I couldn't see BA being justified in a wholesale restriction on guest privileges.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post

Question 2:

Little Johnny's uncle, Bob, is a much savvier flyer and so has access to the business lounge for his flight on 2nd February.

Bob has a carry-on case with internal dimensions 50x40x20 cm. His neatly-packed pile of clothes measure 30x20x15. A can of beer in the lounge fridge has dimensions 10cm height x 6cm diameter. How many beers can Bobby squeeze into his carry-on?

Bonus question: How can Bob do this without anyone noticing?
How much would Bob need to sell his cans for to the passengers at the gate in order to cover the cost of the bag he paid to put in the hold?
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:47 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman View Post
This is brilliant:
Virgin Trains East Coast are busy pointing out you still get food and drink with their first class...
Attached Images  
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; MR Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post

Straight out of corporate america's latest management book, in my experience. (*ducks* )

I'm starting a new contract in Germany in a couple of weeks, my main deliverable is "onboarding" the customer.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
I just had a chance to listen to the Radio 4 interview - Alex Cruz comes across very poorly, and I can understand why the staff do not like him or his viewpoints.
^ I totally agree.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by dakaix View Post
Straight out of corporate america's latest management book, in my experience. (*ducks* )

I'm starting a new contract in Germany in a couple of weeks, my main deliverable is "onboarding" the customer.
Customer onboarding is on my CV.
Old Sep 30, 16, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/travel/...l-flights.html

Is the FA a midget or is this the real portion size? Looks great value!
Old Sep 30, 16, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aks120 View Post
Has anyone actually received those miles yet??? I just fired off 20 requests for all my flights booked up until April - I wont hold my breath!!!

aks120
Mine have just been posted.
Old Sep 30, 16, 7:08 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Customer onboarding is on my CV.
And "Customer buy-onboarding" is now on Alex Cruz's CV.
Old Sep 30, 16, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just listening to the Cruz interview. At 31.50 he calls the current food offering 'of questionable quality'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07w5y6b

Search this Thread
Search Engine: