Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
BOB can also stand for Bring On Board. Don't buy it and it won't last 6 months. I'm just wondering which Legacy carriers in Europe will follow suit, like Club Europe all those years ago.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
BOB can also stand for Bring On Board. Don't buy it and it won't last 6 months. I'm just wondering which Legacy carriers in Europe will follow suit, like Club Europe all those years ago.
What Club Europe thing are you referring to?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by xenole
That said, I have been looking recently at other carriers and when Easyjet or Ryanair are charging Ł19.99 for a hand baggage return to say DUB Vs. Ł80 on BA, and sometimes from a more convenient airport, it's tempting for a day trip or weekend away. Even so, being limited to say 7kg isn't that helpful for some trips
Unlike BA, U2 has no weight limit to the hand baggage that you can take though.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That's what I've been doing recently — I was quite content with bringing a sandwich from Pret and enjoying it with my selection of drinks from the bar. It's those drinks I can't bring (well at least not the alcoholic and hot ones). A less reckless company would have taken away the crisps and started selling sandwiches and evaluated before withdrawing the free drinks.

I think more or less all other legacy carriers have tinkered with their economy class back and forth for years until they came up with something that is not to abhorrent to passengers. Some of them, like SK, tried what BA is now doing but reverted to free coffee/tea/water at least when their passengers deserted to the real LCCs. Current BA management is clearly too arrogant to have paid the slightest bit attention to anything that happened B.C. (Before Cruz). His ridiculous self-congratulatory excitement about his brilliant idea of serving M&S sandwiches makes me laugh. You're just 18 years behind Barbara Cassani and her Costa Coffee menu on Go, sunshine! But neither the company's history nor its future are of any interest to him, because he has no stake in either.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:59 am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Unlike BA, U2 has no weight limit to the hand baggage that you can take though.
Did you not listen to Alex Cruz on the radio yesterday? "There are meeeellions of other things that BA has to offer that Easyjet will never be able to offfer... all the generous hand baggage allowances that we have et cetera". You're not suggesting that he is lying or deluded, are you?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bafan That Independent article is a complete joke and almost totally misleading. The author should be ashamed of themselves.
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
Agreed! The article is very misleading. Looks like the author did not bother doing any research, and clearly are not very aware of what other Airlines' J or F are like.
Originally Posted by shefgab
What a shameful piece of "journalism". The Independent is no better than The Daily Hate. Could BA not even provide them with enough stock photos of actual F for their "article"? Utter junk.
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
Perhaps someone could also provide the author a picture of the LHR CCR WC
I was going to email the writer and on LinkedIn I noticed her profile. She is lifestyle editor at Business Insider.

So it seems the Indy article was lifted from Business Insider, which in their website does actually have a caption under the Club World picture mentioning the same. I'd guess it was a puff piece Business Insider were paid for and the Indy reproduced it (badly) with permission.

I'd still tag it under #fail for BA.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I thought it was that, in this day of falling on-premises alcohol sales (thanks, Tesco!) and 27 pub closures a week, that food was being embraced solely as a means of tempting additional punters in, often in a last effort to survive.

I can't imagine that the additional overheads and cost of sourcing, buying, preparing, storing, cooking and serving food make it a money spinner - in comparison to alcohol where anyone can just hold a glass and pour.
No, not so - particularly in tied houses. Food in a pub will typically generate about 65-70% GM when sold at full price. In a kitchen where the chef is constantly busy, the nett margin won't be that far short either. Drink will not realise anything like that amount (perhaps 30% maximum) because the buy figure from a pubco is (relatively) astronomical. The difference will be slightly narrower for a Free House.

With BA, I suspect it'll probably be the other way round, hence why we see charges right down to tea, coffee and water - and those will almost certainly have the greatest margin. Less than 10p worth of teabags and a bit of hot water might well generate Ł30 or more. Not bad money if you can get it, is it?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I personally saw buy on board as an improvement when a I decided to switch my short haul flying to the most convenient or cost effective carrier about 18 months ago when it just seemed the only one trying to save my marriage to BA was me.
18 months on, I now tend to have a meal in the terminal when flying LCC. BA's outstation lounge offering of sandwiches or soup wasn't convincing enough to stick with and I rarely got to the airport in the morning early enough for short haul to enjoy the CCR or First lounge.
The point BA are missing is that I can fly Easyjet or Norwegian who, in my experience, are at least as good as BA on punctuality and safety and the crews are motivated and friendly, buy a meal in the terminal and the total cost is still less than BA fare.
As other individuals or companies realise they are paying another Ł10-Ł15 per sector on top of BA's higher fares to buy on board, I think others will vote with their feet. The LCC carriers really aren't that bad and BA have to realise they can't play in the LCC pond without competing directly on price.
As a result of my short haul divorce from BA, I've since tried other long haul carers and my long haul J travel is now split 50:50 between Oneworld and Star Alliance.
A marriage works both ways, give and take. When the relationship is such that one is giving and one is taking, something has to change.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Does m&s at the airport outlets sell those single serve wine and mixed spirits? An alternative to onboard drinks.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
A marriage works both ways, give and take. When the relationship is such that one is giving and one is taking, something has to change.
Unfortunantely I seem to find myself in an abusive relationship. I live west of LHR and almost all my flights are domestic day trips for business. I need BA, and they know it.

Come back Virgin, all is forgiven.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gcuk
As other individuals or companies realise they are paying another Ł10-Ł15 per sector on top of BA's higher fares to buy on board, I think others will vote with their feet. The LCC carriers really aren't that bad and BA have to realise they can't play in the LCC pond without competing directly on price.
As a result of my short haul divorce from BA, I've since tried other long haul carers and my long haul J travel is now split 50:50 between Oneworld and Star Alliance.
This pretty much sums me up too. I stopped flying SH last year (when they compressed the seats so I didn't have enough legroom) and subsequently thought 'why fly longhaul with 'em?'
Now, out of the 50-odd flights I've taken so far this year, only 2 have been BA. Previously it would've been 40+. Saved my company money and I'm happier. Win for everyone apart from BA.

(I still love checking this forum though!)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
I just realised that Norwegian have more legroom than BA on Shorthaul. Have done a few Nordic trips in September and surprised to find my knees didn't squish the seat in front.
Ticket prices are usually half also...
Fantastic airline ^

Originally Posted by o0herbie
Come back Virgin, all is forgiven.
Can we have Little Red back?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hcuk94
Fantastic airline ^

Can we have Little Red back?
I just tweeted VA asking the same thing, copying in BA and pointing out they'd taken away my G&T.

Response was "Maybe in the future but we have no plans at the moment. Sorry to hear about the case of the missing G&T's!!"

So I congratulated them on speedier twitter replies than BA and was provided with:

Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's (probably) the last straw....

BA used to have a good network - not just LH & SH-Europe - it used to really good at flying from regional hubs (e.g. Birmingham) to European centres. They (virtually) got rid of that.

The idea of the SH acting as a feeder for the LH is unfortunately not a good one. Having come in from the US and connecting through to FRA and Bologna (BLQ), flight connections of 5 hours are hideous. Take away the 'freebies' and you're really left with no reason for using BA and LHR anymore.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Wonder if Virgin would do a status match

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.