Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:33 pm

Just read payment by debit or credit card. I'm sure this will then have annoyed customers who wish to pay with cash

----

Not sure if this has been mentioned as haven't been through all the comments.

The first thing I notice about this is who came up with the pricing strategy.

Surely for the ease of the cabin crew rounding all the prices would make their lives a lot easier. Now they have to carry huge floats and change banks for cash payments. In practice this won't happen and they will probably look unprofessional as they run out of change.

But more importantly BA will no doubt need to pay for the change from the banks as well as extra effort involved for crew in balancing the sales and cash.

Last edited by Bhdtuf; Sep 29, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by Bhdtuf
Not sure if this has been mentioned as haven't been through all the comments.

The first thing I notice about this is who came up with the pricing strategy.

Surely for the ease of the cabin crew rounding all the prices would make their lives a lot easier. Now they have to carry huge floats and change banks for cash payments. In practice this won't happen and they will probably look unprofessional as they run out of change.

But more importantly BA will no doubt need to pay for the change from the banks as well as extra effort involved for crew in balancing the sales and cash.
Cash not accepted so none of this is a factor...

"If you are an Executive Club Member you will be able to pay using Avios, via the British Airways app. If you are a Bronze,Silver or Gold Member you can also pay with your Executive Club card.

Alternatively, you can pay for your food and drink selection on board with your debit or credit card.

Please note, cash payments will not be accepted, so if you are travelling in a group, please let the rest of your party know about this change."
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:59 pm

Will be interesting to see how they get their 'market data' on what food/drink to load, given a large chunk of the food/drink will likely be Avios redemption for the 1k people have been given (assuming they keep doing this). I'd suggest getting in now with your request, as just like with the JetTime subs, after a short while they'll stop giving you anything back saying 'tough luck'!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by opalfruit
British Airways, that long-struggling, poorly-performing, ailing airline, desperately in need of cost-cutting and optimisations.... posted a pre-exceptional operating profit in 2015 of £1.3 BILLION.

That's profit, remember, not revenue (which was itself a non-shabby £11.3bn) - and doesn't cover the additional £1.5bn they made from flogging off BAEC to Avios.

The notion that BA are some basketcase airline, needing immediate corrective action to prevent it disappearing asunder is ludicrous. They could choose to be class-leading, and have differentiating service that stood them above competitors - and still make money, but - no - wring it dry, wring it all dry.
This is the difficult thing to understand. The business is doing well and has been for some time. Why is there such urgency to slash everything and alienate every customer they possibly can?

I can think of two options.

1. Greed.
2. The board know of some huge elephant in the room that is going to destroy profits if they don't address it. Maybe its the impact of screwing up the fleet renewal a few years ago.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
It's an "interesting strategy". I had always assumed that BA's primary reason for unlimited free drinks in the face of other cutbacks was to hide the poor comfort of the economy cabin.

The US carriers went through the process of stripping everything out from their service offering and have slowly been making real improvements. They've been able to do this because of much lower costs (thanks in part to bankruptcy reorganisation and consolidation, and to lower oil prices). The excitement my colleagues get over UA's stroopwaffel is hilariously effective. IAG apparently has rather large pension liabilities which are the only possible explanation for the recent wave of cutbacks.

BA leaves a lot of money on the table by not following the lead of US carriers in making most fares somewhat flexible with change fees, and also by not offering reasonable CE fares without a Saturday night stay. I say reasonable in that it is the same seat as Y so it's not really worth 4-8X the price.

BA marketing really is completely out of touch with reality. They've again lost the opportunity to be honest with their customers.

I remember the shock with the change in lounge catering a few years ago, especially the removal of hot food in the club lounges at "non-peak" times. The reactions today remind me of those changes.

That said, given the charges for drinks on board, I'll be very surprised if unlimited alcohol remains an option in the lounges without further enhancements to what is offered.

As a teetotal and someone that rarely flies BA SH Y, I'm not really impacted much at all by this change, but it's still a bad change that makes me dread the next enhancement which probably will.

Overall, I'm not surprised at all with the announcement and it seems like BA really are great at presenting bad changes in a completely disingenuous manner.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:42 pm

I just realised that Norwegian have more legroom than BA on Shorthaul. Have done a few Nordic trips in September and surprised to find my knees didn't squish the seat in front.
Ticket prices are usually half also...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by kaizenflying

Time to move on from short haul BoB and to put pressure on BA to actually understand the word 'enhancements' in favour of its premium cabins. BA seems to understand enhancements as the positive spin on cuts. It should truly mean an improvement and they are failing to deliver on that in Club World and Premium Economy.
Time to move on from BA really I think. I'm trying to work out which *A programme is best for me. I don't want to fly with a LCC.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by zappomatic
Looking at the comments on the Metro's article on this, it looks like this is going to do some serious damage to BA's image for long haul too, as it seems many people are taking this to mean all flights and not just short haul and the general public already hold Virgin Atlantic and Emirates on a pedestal for economy. (On the other hand there are some clearly excited people who it seems didn't realise BA included free food and drink to begin with).
Maybe you forgot - or missed - that World Traveller had its "Hungry Traveller" moment recently

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-meals-na.html
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Petrus
I just realised that Norwegian have more legroom than BA on Shorthaul. Have done a few Nordic trips in September and surprised to find my knees didn't squish the seat in front.
Ticket prices are usually half also...
I've used Norwegian for a long time. Prices are often much cheaper than the alternative (although they vary a lot), free wifi is nice on flights of 2-3hrs, and their onboard magazine bizarrely has some of the best articles in the industry.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Interesting - in the pub game, my understanding is that it's just the opposite, in that food brings by far the greater gross margin.
I thought it was that, in this day of falling on-premises alcohol sales (thanks, Tesco!) and 27 pub closures a week, that food was being embraced solely as a means of tempting additional punters in, often in a last effort to survive.

I can't imagine that the additional overheads and cost of sourcing, buying, preparing, storing, cooking and serving food make it a money spinner - in comparison to alcohol where anyone can just hold a glass and pour.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bafan
From the updated BA website:

"Did you know your sense of taste changes when you are at 30,000 feet? After conducting extensive research, we have improved our on-board food and drinks so they taste as good in the air as they do on the ground."

So, are M&S sarnies specially designed to taste better in the air, or is this further BA marketing nonsense...? I wonder...
They could just have turned up the pressure to keep the cabin at the equivalent of sea-level and just kept the old food then!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by phol
This is the difficult thing to understand. The business is doing well and has been for some time. Why is there such urgency to slash everything and alienate every customer they possibly can?

I can think of two options.

1. Greed.
2. The board know of some huge elephant in the room that is going to destroy profits if they don't address it. Maybe its the impact of screwing up the fleet renewal a few years ago.
In the parallel universe of stock market listed companies, I'll take a guess at their motivation (whether it's a good strategy is another question). Up to the end of Q1, IAG was giving earnings guidance to the market that 2016 profits would increase by around 40% on 2015. By the end of June they were giving notice of a profit warning and the Q2 results guidance had reduced profit growth to "low double digit" growth.

They view that they can't afford to fail to hit the reduced guidance, as the share price would take another hammering. Hence the accelerated cost cutting, and BA is the biggest airline in IAG, it could not be immune. BoB would have come anyway IMO, though maybe a bit later.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Longer term? I think you are giving him too much credit. He's been there for six months, and I would be very surprised if the perspective of his future strategy goes much further than that. Certainly, his performance on You and Yours today did not dispel the impression that he may be a few mozzarella and tomato focaccias short of a picnic.
Even if he has only been in post for 6 months he and his management team (and the IAG team, Willie Walsh & Co) should have a strategy for BA, especially if they are going to implement large scale service changes.

Originally Posted by opalfruit
British Airways, that long-struggling, poorly-performing, ailing airline, desperately in need of cost-cutting and optimisations.... posted a pre-exceptional operating profit in 2015 of £1.3 BILLION.
The notion that BA are some basketcase airline, needing immediate corrective action to prevent it disappearing asunder is ludicrous. They could choose to be class-leading, and have differentiating service that stood them above competitors - and still make money, but - no - wring it dry, wring it all dry.
Indeed - so where is Cruz going with this? If it really is short term profit maximisation that is a bad idea in a cyclic, capital-intensive industry. It won't even affect BA's costs for 2 quarterly profit reporting periods so it isn't going to bump the annual results up this year if they need to be flattered.

Originally Posted by 0415Z again...
Fares will not be more competitive - BA wants 1500% more than FR to fly from GOT to LON on any given weekday in 2 weeks' time. 200% in the case of DY. Their cost base won't support it, hence why Cruz is driving the airline into the ditch.
Quite so - the fare difference is ridiculous, and anything BA does to invite closer comparison with the LCCs makes them look bad.

Originally Posted by trains
I've worked with hotels though and one was told, through marketing feedback, that customers weren't bothered about free mini-bars, they were interested in security, price and room comfort. The hotel brand ignored the advice and kept giving things away free, such as a free mini-bar, food, evening snacks and so on. Their TripAdvisor rating soared and profits increased accordingly. The marketing company admitted their data had been flawed, and I suspect (perhaps naively) that BA's data is flawed for the same reason.

I personally think BA are taking a huge risk here. I have a gold card and so will use BA for the lounges, but for various reasons even my usage will fall as Ryanair fly the same route and much more cheaply.
The free minibar example is an interesting one. At least in the hotels where I have experienced that, the (list) price was high enough that there had to be justifications for the cost being much higher than alternatives. So free minibar, free snacks in the evening, and so on. That didn't make up for the higher cost in simple economic terms, but in perceived value the difference was large. In some cases the cost was several times more than the cheapest reasonable room in that city, and the parallel with BA charging several times more than the cheapest LCC on a route is strong.

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Now, what is the best container for keeping a well iced G&T, liberated from the lounge, fresh for an hour or so until drink time on the plane?
One of the well-sealed Starbucks coffee mugs with a lid. Keeps drinks cold or not for quite some time. Or the smallest size of Sigg drink holder.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Banana4321
I just submitted a Golden Ticket to Alex Cruz. Fine job that he needs recognition for from his manager
Are you sure he understands sarcasm?

Next time he's in the media, he'll be telling everyone that he has been flooded with messages of support and approval from BA's most frequent fliers.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I didn't realise so many people here flew short haul economy! I was under the impression that the majority of this board wouldn't be seen dead in anything less than CE/CW/F

Did mention somewhere that I tried Norwegian (for the second time) from BCN-LGW.
Really missed a lounge and haven't to fend for myself in the overpriced food area and I don't think I've been that far back in a queue for years!
Didn't see that many people buying food on board although many might have eaten already y as it was around tea time.

I'm still not bothered by BoB. I've mentioned before most of my SH flights are a max of 2 hours, I eat in the lounge beforehand usually or in my hotel etc., and most offerings don't appeal to me i.e. not a mayo in sandwiches lover.
The bulk of my SH travel is used for connections either paid with cash or Avios. It's easy for me to do BA to BA.
That said, I have been looking recently at other carriers and when Easyjet or Ryanair are charging £19.99 for a hand baggage return to say DUB Vs. £80 on BA, and sometimes from a more convenient airport, it's tempting for a day trip or weekend away. Even so, being limited to say 7kg isn't that helpful for some trips and when the price jumps to £50.99 for baggage, you're not far from BA's pricing at that point and the benefits start to outweigh the £20 or so difference.

BoB definitely isn't a deal breaker for me. Loss of lounge access in various circumstances probably would be though as I do like the benefits of status and things like this do make BA seem different and more appealing regardless of price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.