Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 16, 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think there was some suggestion status passengers would get something for free. Any information on that?
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR & BAEC Lifetime Gold, VS Red, EK Blue, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriot Silver
My question is whether BAEC Golds & OWEs and above will get a complimentary drink and snack as happens to Executive Platinum & OWE members on AA?
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:49 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Strawb View Post
What's in it for BA status members?
You get to use the app to pay with Avios?

You didn't think Cruz was going to give high status pax something for free did you?
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
LCY and STN flights are at least not being impacted until 'Summer 2017'.

Funnily enough, there is no mention in the FAQ's about what happens to existing bookings - I'd suggest anyone impacted tweets BA to see what they have to say
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
This concerns me more than BoB in Y.
Free Percy pigs to replace afternoon tea no doubt. Appropriate to the time of day.

I do wonder whether this will be available on all flights - IE LHR-MAN, LGW-JER. I wonder if CE will just get something 'free' from the trolley and then the SCCM will disappear down the back to help with the retail service.
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Free Percy pigs to replace afternoon tea no doubt. Appropriate to the time of day.
A real enhancement then
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:52 am

An FTer is already at work on Twitter

https://twitter.com/British_Airways/...15855645130752
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll View Post
Instead of the two fingers of whiskey, you'll just get the two fingers.

Using BA's prices, my G&T and crisps on UK Domestic is worth just under a tenner. I shall wait with baited breath for UK Domestic fares to decrease by a tenner.

Meanwhile, I'll be transferring my business back to Virgin Trains...
On my last BA shorthaul I had 4 wines - that's £20 on the menu now. I wouldn't be accepting two fingers.

My guess is that those who complain may get given a set number of avios per existing booking, perhaps enough for say one drink and one snack at the new avios payment prices.
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:53 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Granola pot (the exact one I have for brekkie most days), cider, and Percy Pigs? This is great!

On the other hand, will we be saying goodbye to hot breakfast domestics and lemon melts?
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by JumboJim View Post
My question is whether BAEC Golds & OWEs and above will get a complimentary drink and snack as happens to Executive Platinum & OWE members on AA?
It doesn't look like it, or it would have made sense that they would have mentioned this when saying about CE still being catered.
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:54 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
I'm guessing there's been no announcement about how much flight prices are being reduced by to 'compensate' for the loss of the free food and drink service?
They won't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...ace-free-food/

Specifically quotes Cruz saying that there will be no lowering of fares as a result, and similarly no guarantee that people already booked would receive free M&S food when these changes come into effect. Whether that means they get a free something else, we can but guess.

Last edited by V10; Sep 29, 16 at 3:55 am Reason: extra comment
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner View Post
On the other hand, will we be saying goodbye to hot breakfast domestics and lemon melts?
The FAQ suggests that with this catering change there are no options for special meals for ET or Domestic, hence I would safely assume that the M&S fare will be trotted out on Domestic routes also and the famous hot breakfast is no more.
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by r00ty View Post
Better than some other LCCs though. I once paid £6 for effectively 1L of water (which I very much needed). It's still quite sad though.
IIRC £2.50 or EUR3 is the norm at U2 and now AB (whether it will save the latter is another question), so BA actually is a little less evil here than others.

Sat in SAS lounge at CPH - so liberating to have gotten over the obsession to have to fly oneworld all the time ;-)
Old Sep 29, 16, 3:59 am

If something has been taken away that was previously complementary, I suspect it will be tough luck.

When Gate Gourmet went on strike, that was the response - it was complementary i.e. not paid for, so non provision is ok. Shame.
Old Sep 29, 16, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Rumour is rife today that the Club cabin will return to domestics when this is introduced.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: