Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 22, 20, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
4,5,6 hours without anything is criminal.
Hyperbole, is that you?
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is hyperbole exactly? The block time(s) currently for these routes are currently 4 hours IST, 4:40 for CAI and 5 hours for AMM. In non-covid times these block times are as much as 4hr40, 5hr20 min and 5hrs50 min respectively. Add an hour onto this for the amount of time that one sits on the plane, etc, and you are talking about 5:40, 6:20 and 6:50 respectively, Now the AMM and CAI things are new and they have not actually flown any flights on these routes yet with BoB, so we'll see if it happens, but when you consider that the savant Alex Cruz had even seemingly admitted that they got it wrong on the longer routes I have a feeling that Covid or no Covid, such routes are not going back to strict BoB.
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:56 pm

What is hyperbole exactly? The block time(s) currently for these routes are currently 4 hours IST, 4:40 for CAI and 5 hours for AMM. In non-covid times these block times are as much as 4hr40, 5hr20 min and 5hrs50 min respectively. Add an hour onto this for the amount of time that one sits on the plane, etc, and you are talking about 5:40, 6:20 and 6:50 respectively, Now the AMM and CAI things are new and they have not actually flown any flights on these routes yet with BoB, so we'll see if it happens, but when you consider that the savant Alex Cruz had even seemingly admitted that they got it wrong on the longer routes I have a feeling that Covid or no Covid, such routes are not going back to strict BoB.
That it's criminal not to serve food for free on these flights. Is it cheap? Sure. Does it look bad? Yeah, definitely. Is it detrimental to BA's brand? I have my opinion about brand, everyone has.

But criminal? I mean, seriously?!
Old Nov 22, 20, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
How have LCA flights been in BOB? Surely it’s far longer than IST and not far off CAI. Presumably passengers survived?
Old Nov 22, 20, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well gee, it is obviously not legally criminal is it? If it were then they would have been charged under criminal statutes by now. Disgusting, cheap, short sighted, and a hundred other things............. whatever, and should be criminal

Mikey, you are right about LCA, however as I suppose that LCA has always been more bucket and spade than IST, and it is about a half hour longer, people have not complained as much.
Old Nov 22, 20, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Don't let your memory be too short-term - we were getting hot meals and a free bar in Y on LCA/IST just over 4 years ago. (And the gorgeous 763s too)
COVID aside it's been a huge product downgrade but the prices were the same
Old Nov 22, 20, 11:25 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
willsnun, I cannot speak about AMM and CAI, then again they have been shorthaul for 30 seconds now. I can speak from personal experience about IST, which prior to them was in fact the longest route with BoB, and which there has NEVER EVER been enough food loaded. I can personally attest that on many such flights BA has sold no more than perhaps 15 sandwiches/buttys, etc, and often no more than 2 or 3? How can I attest to this? Because I have seen with my own eyes them out of everything by the fifth row of ET. Sometimes by the second row of ET. But let's look at CAI and AMM. Let's pretend that they sell 50 sandwiches on each flight, for a whopping 100 sandwiches a day. That is what they sell at a mid sized London location in a few minutes. So no, it makes no difference.
Completely agree, on the IST route, BA ran out of sandwiches in the first 10 rows of Y all the time on the IST route.
Plus, I don't forget the hyperbolic fact that BA was mostly loading pork sandwiches on this route where there is a significant amount of people in this route who doesn't eat pork due to religious beliefs. They realized this mistake on 2018 or 2019 ( don't recall the exact date ) and started to load more vegetarian sandwiches ( the tomato mozzarella and the mushroom one ).

Originally Posted by ENTP View Post
Don't let your memory be too short-term - we were getting hot meals and a free bar in Y on LCA/IST just over 4 years ago. (And the gorgeous 763s too)
COVID aside it's been a huge product downgrade but the prices were the same
I could verify that IST-LHR tickets were at the level of Pegasus Airlines's SAW-STN services when BoB, paid seating, etc... was implemented whereas before the prices were close to Turkish Airlines. Plus connecting tickets ( IST-LHR-XXX ) are now much cheaper than in the past.

I could not speak of LCA.
Old Nov 23, 20, 2:49 am

Well gee, it is obviously not legally criminal is it?
That's why I wrote hyperbole.
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
That's why I wrote hyperbole.
"It's criminal" is a figure of speech.
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But do you know what could in fact be criminal, but hard to prosecute? Someone knowingly being served water which the airline does not 100% know is safe for consumption, especially if one were to get sick from it. It has already been discussed ad nauseum on these boards and other places why drinking un-boiled water from the "tank" on an airplane is unsafe, in fact until the BoB thing, BA (and almost every airline that I can think of) expressly told passengers NOT to drink such water, They have made all sorts of claims of the tanks being regularly cleaned.............which we all know means every three months at best, and I have yet to meet any air crew member who would drink such water themselves (and before someone says, "They make the tea and coffee with it", the tea and coffee water are boiled).
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon View Post
"It's criminal" is a figure of speech.
In a normal place, sure. But considering that we're on Flyertalk and we had a thread with 20+ messages on the inalienable right to be served Diet Coke and/or juice on a short haul flight... I'm not so sure.
Old Nov 23, 20, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
In a normal place
OK, point taken 😁
ColOrd and 13901 like this.
Old Nov 23, 20, 7:15 am

But do you know what could in fact be criminal, but hard to prosecute? Someone knowingly being served water which the airline does not 100% know is safe for consumption, especially if one were to get sick from it. It has already been discussed ad nauseum on these boards and other places why drinking un-boiled water from the "tank" on an airplane is unsafe, in fact until the BoB thing, BA (and almost every airline that I can think of) expressly told passengers NOT to drink such water, They have made all sorts of claims of the tanks being regularly cleaned.............which we all know means every three months at best, and I have yet to meet any air crew member who would drink such water themselves (and before someone says, "They make the tea and coffee with it", the tea and coffee water are boiled).
I'm not familiar about plane tanks but, way back, I was involved in Ground Service Equipment and I've purchased (on behalf of BA, obviously) equipment including a water bowser. The bowsers are maintained very well, used only for the transportation of water, regularly cleaned and are controlled by the authorities. They inspect the cleaning logs, they check the chemicals used to purify the water (which by the way is sourced from Thames Water - not the river!) and of course check the water.
EJetter likes this.
Old Nov 23, 20, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very happy to hear that the water trucks used at LHR are maintained and cleaned regularly, I expected nothing less. That unfortunately has little or nothing to do with this however. There is much written on this forum and others, but in essence an A320, which for the most part is what we are speaking about here has a 200 lt water tank that services everything, toilet, sink, coffee, tea, etc. Depending on the load and time/distance about 75% of this is reserved for waste and basins. So you are talking about 25% for for "drinking" whether coffee, tea or drinking water. And I am not even going into the fact that at times BA as a "cost saving measure" has been known to have flights go out with half empty tanks. So forgetting hygiene, which I will get into in a moment, we are talking about a maximum of 50lt of drinking water for 180 passengers, and it is always less, for flights up to 6 hours now.

Now speaking about hygiene, yes I believe that BA is able to control the water quality at LHR, and that was not my worry, after all basic tap water in the UK might not taste great, but is generally not dangerous. I do worry about where they fill the tanks as these a/c go all over Europe, Eastern Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. While it is the policy that they try NOT to fill the tanks when abroad, legally and practically they have no choice but to do so. If the tank is empty at the other end, which does happen, they cannot fly without toilets, etc. They have no 100% foolproof way of vetting the water in these locations, and I have spoken with my share of station managers around the World, and they fill their tanks from their airport suppliers, but other than "assurances" really do not know that the water is good for drinking. So in a place like Athens, or Marrakesh, or Beirut the exact same suppliers fill almost all aircraft from all airlines, but none other than BA claim that it is safe to drink. Then when you look at maintenance the standard schedule for the tanks to be flushed and cleaned is approximately every 3 months. That gives any bacteria an incredibly long time to grow and proliferate in the tanks, and is why no other airline suggests or endorses drinking from the tanks.

Several years ago, as is well known to FT'ers an FT'ers child did a comprehensive survey of US carrier DOMESTIC aircraft and found E.coli bacteria and all sorts of other nasties in something like 15 percent of all aircraft water tanks, again, many of these aircraft never left the continental US, this study was later picked up by serious people and not only verified, but it was found out that the numbers were even worse. So I can only imagine how bad it is with European airlines............although it really does not matter as all of them except BA tell people NOT to drink the tank water!

It is sort of like blankets, as was reported from a BA document on FT many years ago, the internal guidance at BA was to ONLY launder blankets when visibly soiled. Oh yes they repackaged them, they had prison labor to do that, but it is and was possible that the blanket that you break out of the plastic may have been used dozens if not hundreds of times without being washed.
Old Nov 23, 20, 10:38 am

I am very happy to hear that the water trucks used at LHR are maintained and cleaned regularly, I expected nothing less. That unfortunately has little or nothing to do with this however. There is much written on this forum and others, but in essence an A320, which for the most part is what we are speaking about here has a 200 lt water tank that services everything, toilet, sink, coffee, tea, etc. Depending on the load and time/distance about 75% of this is reserved for waste and basins. So you are talking about 25% for for "drinking" whether coffee, tea or drinking water. And I am not even going into the fact that at times BA as a "cost saving measure" has been known to have flights go out with half empty tanks. So forgetting hygiene, which I will get into in a moment, we are talking about a maximum of 50lt of drinking water for 180 passengers, and it is always less, for flights up to 6 hours now.

Now speaking about hygiene, yes I believe that BA is able to control the water quality at LHR, and that was not my worry, after all basic tap water in the UK might not taste great, but is generally not dangerous. I do worry about where they fill the tanks as these a/c go all over Europe, Eastern Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. While it is the policy that they try NOT to fill the tanks when abroad, legally and practically they have no choice but to do so. If the tank is empty at the other end, which does happen, they cannot fly without toilets, etc. They have no 100% foolproof way of vetting the water in these locations, and I have spoken with my share of station managers around the World, and they fill their tanks from their airport suppliers, but other than "assurances" really do not know that the water is good for drinking. So in a place like Athens, or Marrakesh, or Beirut the exact same suppliers fill almost all aircraft from all airlines, but none other than BA claim that it is safe to drink. Then when you look at maintenance the standard schedule for the tanks to be flushed and cleaned is approximately every 3 months. That gives any bacteria an incredibly long time to grow and proliferate in the tanks, and is why no other airline suggests or endorses drinking from the tanks.

Several years ago, as is well known to FT'ers an FT'ers child did a comprehensive survey of US carrier DOMESTIC aircraft and found E.coli bacteria and all sorts of other nasties in something like 15 percent of all aircraft water tanks, again, many of these aircraft never left the continental US, this study was later picked up by serious people and not only verified, but it was found out that the numbers were even worse. So I can only imagine how bad it is with European airlines............although it really does not matter as all of them except BA tell people NOT to drink the tank water!

It is sort of like blankets, as was reported from a BA document on FT many years ago, the internal guidance at BA was to ONLY launder blankets when visibly soiled. Oh yes they repackaged them, they had prison labor to do that, but it is and was possible that the blanket that you break out of the plastic may have been used dozens if not hundreds of times without being washed.
You're making quite a lot of big statements here: on quality of water, on presence of potentially life-threatening bacteria, on the fact that the water shouldn't be drank and forced labour. A source or two on all that wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited by 13901; Nov 23, 20 at 11:10 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: