Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 17, 20, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I wonder if any of their shareholders are asking, “what took you so long?”
Old Nov 17, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
Well it seems that LH will be moving to BOB too from March 2021.

So I think it’s fair to say this is the way forward, even on premium airlines, and I’m sure BA will be looking to bring BOB back as soon as it can.
Well I read this to mean Long Haul. I'm glad I got it wrong, as that would have been a real first for BA. Long BOB. Cousin of Long Corvid.
Old Nov 17, 20, 10:42 am

“Our previous range of snacks in Economy Class often does not meet the expectations of our guests,” explains Christina Foerster, Executive Vice President Lufthansa Group Customer, IT & Corporate Responsibility. “The new offer was developed on the basis of our customer feedback. With the high quality offer, which is subject to a fee, our passengers will be able to decide individually what they want to eat and drink on their trip. "

I would very much like to meet some of these passengers who choose to fly economy and yet are seemingly pleading to be charged now for food and drink that was previously free. I can just imagine Mr. and Mrs Muller from Frankfurt almost begging 'oh please stop serving us free snacks and drinks onboard because really I want to start to pay for these items that were free before. I know that you will not lower the ticket price to compensate, but I am so looking forward to paying over the odds for a sandwich that now comes in a box and also for the tin of pepsi that was all free before. Happy days!'
Old Nov 17, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dave31 View Post

“Our previous range of snacks in Economy Class often does not meet the expectations of our guests,” explains Christina Foerster, Executive Vice President Lufthansa Group Customer, IT & Corporate Responsibility. “The new offer was developed on the basis of our customer feedback. With the high quality offer, which is subject to a fee, our passengers will be able to decide individually what they want to eat and drink on their trip. "

I would very much like to meet some of these passengers who choose to fly economy and yet are seemingly pleading to be charged now for food and drink that was previously free. I can just imagine Mr. and Mrs Muller from Frankfurt almost begging 'oh please stop serving us free snacks and drinks onboard because really I want to start to pay for these items that were free before. I know that you will not lower the ticket price to compensate, but I am so looking forward to paying over the odds for a sandwich that now comes in a box and also for the tin of pepsi that was all free before. Happy days!'
BA should sue for breach of copyright, because that LH quote looks like a direct lift from BA’s justification for BOB...
Old Nov 17, 20, 2:51 pm

You can guarantee Lufthansa Group won't be tendering the operation out to Tourvest. Not if they want job done properly at least.
Old Nov 17, 20, 4:57 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
You can guarantee Lufthansa Group won't be tendering the operation out to Tourvest. Not if they want job done properly at least.
Tourvest will load three sandwiches per flight. All three will sell and then Lufty can claim the program has stellar preformance!
RoyalSwazi, 1Aturnleft and ENTP like this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
Well it seems that LH will be moving to BOB too from March 2021.

So I think it’s fair to say this is the way forward, even on premium airlines, and I’m sure BA will be looking to bring BOB back as soon as it can.
Good idea. Annoy what customers you have left in the middle of the biggest crisis aviation has ever seen.
Old Nov 18, 20, 4:49 am

I'd pay good money for the ham/cheese rolls that Swiss has onboard nowadays. To use a motorsport analogy they are like Lewis Hamilton and BA's pre-Covid M&S shite was like my grandmother without her glasses at the wheel of her Twingo on a snowy evening after sunset.
Old Nov 18, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Originally Posted by People in 2017
You can guarantee Lufthansa Group won't be going to BOB and there’s no chance a real airline like QR would ever charge pax for seat reservations in business
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 5:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
"Our previous range of snacks in Economy Class often does not meet the expectations of our guests,” explains Christina Foerster, Executive Vice President Lufthansa Group Customer, IT & Corporate Responsibility. “The new offer was developed on the basis of our customer feedback. With the high quality offer, which is subject to a fee, our passengers will be able to decide individually what they want to eat and drink on their trip. "
I'm sure there is a German word for this, but for those who wish to indulge in epicaricacy, here is the relevant thread on the Lufthansa forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ng-2021-a.html
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I'm sure there is a German word for this, but for those who wish to indulge in epicaricacy
Schadenfreude
Old Nov 18, 20, 5:17 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Hmmm... will Swiss have raclette or cheese fondue available?
Old Nov 18, 20, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
Hmmm... will Swiss have raclette or cheese fondue available?
Based on the previous experience (Swiss had BOB around 2003/4 for a few months) it will be the Coop offering, for twice the price Coop is charging. Coop is the high quality retailer, therefore the quality of the offering was good, but the price was obviously outrageous. And ... no raclette or fondue, I'm afraid.
RoyalSwazi and 13901 like this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 5:46 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I'm sure there is a German word for this, but for those who wish to indulge in epicaricacy, here is the relevant thread on the Lufthansa forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ng-2021-a.html
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
Schadenfreude
I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help a wry smile at all the comments we’ve seen previously re. BOB. “It’s a disaster”, “passengers will refuse to fly”, “no other airline will do this” repeated ad nauseam .....
Dan72, TedToToe and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 18, 20, 6:26 am

I do not see it attractive. I need the Air Asia concept in an airline in Europe. Fast, smooth, worries-free and very convenient.

So good. That would be an actual improvement and not those little steps they make just to cut costs and try to improve income.
londonba2014 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: