Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 17, 3:28 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
It shows a service orientated Captain showing outstanding spirit despite working for an employer/company that seems to have forgotten about customers.
You have to feel for the passengers and staff abandoned (which sometimes have the courage to break the rules or be imaginative) by the increasingly out of touch management in their drive to save pennies where they can. More examples of the fabulous new British Airways:

Old Dec 11, 17, 3:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I must say that I agree with BA6948 on that one. Whilst what you suggest would probably end up solving the situation, I do not think that passengers should really be put to the further aggravation/wasted time of paying and reclaiming the price of their drink. BA should have a proper procedure in place to offer all passengers the required refreshments in cases of extended delays without passengers needing to know what to do. It would be basic common sense and organisation for an airline to plan that and indeed most do. In fact, I believe that BA used to have proper procedures in place before BoB, but somehow, nobody bothered to replace/adapt them after BoB was introduced and that is simply not acceptable. Similarly, whilst such delays occur on the ground, one could always buy their own food or drink at the airport and seek reimbursement, but any decently organised EU airline, even the FR's and VY's of this world has procedures in place to give customers vouchers at airport so that passengers needn't go through such hassle. Onboard should be even easier and I know that U2 and any EU legacy carrier on which I have experienced such issues know what to do.

So yes, in the current context, passengers could/should do what you suggest to not suffer further and by the way, they should complain to BA in no uncertain words that they had to do that in the first place, but in my view it is a significant and unacceptable service failure on BA's part not to have planned for such events which are, after all, hardly unusual (major weather disruption or mechanicals or strikes with pax on the plane, etc)
Very well said and I share this view also.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

So there were two main options here, in terms of contingency arrangements :

A. Put in place a dedicated action plan (as outlined by orbitmic).

The key objective being to ensure that by one means or another, every affected passenger is at least offered the basics (a hot drink and some food), at no cost, and as promptly as possible.

B. Do nothing different at all.

Just send the BoB trolley (with whatever level of supplies it happens to have) trundling down the aircraft ; charge for all items as normal, telling aggrieved passengers that in these circumstances they can claim back the expenditure.

Plan A is wholly customer-focussed, and would help significantly to alleviate ongoing discomfort and anxiety.

Plan B - whilst not remotely customer-focussed - makes life a lot easier for BA because it involves nothing in the way of additional resource, planning, or effort.

And as regards B, there is also the potential financial benefit to BA that many passengers will not actually bother to make retrospective claims for reimbursement. Those who do might even have their claims initially questioned/denied on spurious grounds (we suggest you claim from your travel insurers), in the hope that they will go away/give up.

After the fallout from the infamous IT debacle in which the airline hardly covered itself in glory, one might think that BAs senior management would be especially keen to rebuild trust & credibility, by giving every impression that the welfare of their customers is a top priority. Not so, it would seem.
Old Dec 11, 17, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The biggest issue with the IT meltdown was NOT the actual IT meltdown itself, not even the cheap overseas outsourcing. The biggest issues were the following:

1) There were dozens of flights ready to go, passengers through security, etc. The problem was that there were few managers senior enough to have any experience in dealing with such an issue as BA had gotten rid of most of them. Even bringing in those off duty was NOT enough. In other words, BA has little to no contingency in place and basically hopes that there will never be IRROPS.

2) Even when these managers were brought in, there were barely any stocks of alternative arrangements, such as boarding cards and stickers, something STANDARD at all outstations, because some idiot had decided not renew any orders for them repeatedly for years as "they were no longer needed" in today's high tech world. Having spent the requisite 10 or 20k over the previous 5 years would have not negated the problem, but could have reduced it significantly.

Now looking at this disaster, it is not the first time that it has snowed in London, it is not the first time that there has been a need for de-icing, or secondary de-icing. This in itself is not a disaster and weather can happen at any airport and to any airline. The difference is that of course BA with its BoB never actually planned on what they would do for pax that were severely delayed, even if it puts BA in a situation where they are actually breaking regulations. I find it ironic that Sr. Cruz, just days after his asinine comments about "very short haul" flights is now in a position where yesterday's IST pax are possibly STILL in transit to LHR, a dozen hours later, after being delayed, then circling London forever, then landing in Liverpool, and I would hope somehow now in London, yet they probably were not given a cup of water until they deplaned in Liverpool......maybe. There is not even a debate here about drinking the disgusting tank water or not. There simply would not be enough.

You know it is things like dealing with weather and Irrops that is supposed to make people trust airlines like BA. Otherwise they really are Easyjet and Ryanair.
Old Dec 11, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
I find it ironic that Sr. Cruz, just days after his asinine comments about "very short haul" flights is now in a position where yesterday's IST pax are possibly STILL in transit to LHR, a dozen hours later, after being delayed, then circling London forever, then landing in Liverpool, and I would hope somehow now in London, yet they probably were not given a cup of water until they deplaned in Liverpool......maybe. There is not even a debate here about drinking the disgusting tank water or not. There simply would not be enough.
On my delayed flight yesterday, into the fourth hour on the tarmac, passengers requesting water were being told that they had to pay for it as "everything is still chargeable". Only when some passengers started demanding tap water did they comply, and only to those passengers who specifically asked - there was no pro-active distribution whatsoever.

Does anyone senior at BA have any idea what it is like to be trapped on a packed aircraft for four hours, not moving and with almost no information from the flight deck, with no food and water? Do they even care? No doubt they are pleased that they can blame this fiasco on the weather, and be off the hook for EC261, even though other airlines appear to have mostly got their passengers to where they wanted to be.
Old Dec 11, 17, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post

I think passengers should get food and drinks for free in the plane. They are already frustrated and tired. What's the point of making them pay to reimburse them later. BA have lost their mind.
I think you are absolutely right. Passenger has the right to request FREE water in severe delays. Does Mr. Cruz really want a law suit of dehydration happening before he realise how ridiculous the policy is? SAS can do free coffee and tea. American airline can do free soft drinks. BA and IB should do the same. Free water, coffee and tea could be the starter. They can still sell speciality coffee and tea.
gordon0808 and florens like this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post

So there were two main options here, in terms of contingency arrangements :

A. Put in place a dedicated action plan (as outlined by orbitmic).

The key objective being to ensure that by one means or another, every affected passenger is at least offered the basics (a hot drink and some food), at no cost, and as promptly as possible.

B. Do nothing different at all.

Just send the BoB trolley (with whatever level of supplies it happens to have) trundling down the aircraft ; charge for all items as normal, telling aggrieved passengers that in these circumstances they can claim back the expenditure.

Plan A is wholly customer-focussed, and would help significantly to alleviate ongoing discomfort and anxiety.

Plan B - whilst not remotely customer-focussed - makes life a lot easier for BA because it involves nothing in the way of additional resource, planning, or effort.

And as regards B, there is also the potential financial benefit to BA that many passengers will not actually bother to make retrospective claims for reimbursement. Those who do might even have their claims initially questioned/denied on spurious grounds (we suggest you claim from your travel insurers), in the hope that they will go away/give up.

After the fallout from the infamous IT debacle in which the airline hardly covered itself in glory, one might think that BAs senior management would be especially keen to rebuild trust & credibility, by giving every impression that the welfare of their customers is a top priority. Not so, it would seem.
I agree with what you said and I always think with BOB BA should provide free water, coffee and tea except speciality coffee and tea.

What comes to my mind is that with the current BOB, onboard items for sale are technically belong to another company. BA's crew must be frustrated as they wish they could help but the company policy says otherwise due to the ownership.

BA had shot themselves on the feet. I do hope Mr. Cruz accept the debacle is his doing and resign. Or at least change course on BOB.
Old Dec 11, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC
I have just read on Business Traveller that Etihad are offering Y passengers on long haul some limited BoB items for purchase in addition to their complimentary offering. I think this is a far better approach to a BoB than BA's offering on short haul.

If they re-continued to offer complimentary snacks and drinks of a limited variety but you had the option to purchase much higher quality or unique items such as a decent champagne or a local craft brewed lager/ale, maybe a decent coffee experience or herbal teas, more substantial food offering etc. BUT you could still order a coke, orange, breakfast tea, heineken, water, crisps, basic snacks all complimentary, this still would generate income for BA but retain the customer/crew interaction.

This would have a better affect for the pax experience in my view. People will always fork out for the luxury niceties in life beyond basic offerings. I mean how much of a dent in the bottom line is it to BA to offer free coke, water or standard PG tips tea?
Old Nov 7, 18, 1:40 am

https://skift.com/2018/11/05/airline...r-drink-carts/

Interesting article on Skift about this (more related to EasyJet), but same principle applies. Interesting that "big data" doesn't already paint the correct picture, a good case being United with the tomato juice.
Old Jan 9, 19, 2:53 pm
tpr

Programs: AA, SPG
Sharing my recent experience on WAW-LHR-LAX with all segments on BA.
I traveled back home over the holidays with my family, not realizing that even water will NOT be complimentary on WAW-LHR leg.
This was unexpected and shocking. I had a short connection at LHR and first thing I did was run to the cabin crew to ask for a cup of water, because "your previous flight didn't provide any". She commented that this is norm on the flights within Europe and there's lot of discussion about this move.

I understand that BA wants to be competitive with low cost airlines, but if that's the case 1) lower the price of the ticket to match them and 2) be more transparent about the "benefits" of flying with BA before I board the plane.

Thank you.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
I wonder if Virgin Atlantic's potentially increased shorthaul clout if the Stobart/FlyBe deal goes through will have any impact? I can't see them wanting to cloud their lounghaul brand by charging for drinks and snacks following rebranding.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by zappomatic View Post
I wonder if Virgin Atlantic's potentially increased shorthaul clout if the Stobart/FlyBe deal goes through will have any impact? I can't see them wanting to cloud their lounghaul brand by charging for drinks and snacks following rebranding.
Didn't they charge for the brief period they operated LHR-EDI/ABZ? It was operated by Aer Lingus IIRC but I never tried it.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
Didn't they charge for the brief period they operated LHR-EDI/ABZ? It was operated by Aer Lingus IIRC but I never tried it.
No, Little Red had complimentary drinks and snacks, and bacon rolls at breakfast - pretty much in line with what's currently offered on BA CityFlyer domestic routes.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 7, 19, 11:47 am

According to BA, BoB is very successful. I've mostly had negative experiences and observed crews struggling with the pace of service but the BA press spin is that customers love it.

IAG was recently reported as the most profitable airline group - how about acting accordingly as a top airline and provide complimentary drinks/snacks in Europe and on domestics rather than hiding behind the LCC competition excuse!
Old Apr 18, 19, 2:37 pm

Advance fare of 250 quoted for a one way Athens to LHR, hand luggage only and BoB. British Budget Airways.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: