Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by simonrp84
This is my view too, since the introduction of smaller seats there's no incentive to fly BA (I mainly flew in business). It's been a real eye-opener trying some other airlines and it made me wonder why I stuck with BA for so long. The introduction of BoB reinforced this - as nice as M&S sarnies are, they're not worth paying over the odds for.
However, as the thread on here about leisure routes suggests, the demand for shorthaul business class seems to be very healthy and growing with the curtain moving ever backwards which I guess makes BA very happy.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Not if flying mainly Lufthansa. Lufthansa earnings are designed to favor their own FFP and their own metal, and to penalize heavily FFP they consider too generous (A3, TK). Several economy fare bucket earns 0 miles, as well as the infamous P Business class fare bucket.
Also controlling in which fare bucket you are is hard on Lufthansa, if not impossible. When buying a ticket even the most flexible economy fare can end up is some crap bucket like K, L or T.

I would argue that if you are flying mainly Lufthansa, A3 is a bad scheme to use. Except if you embark on a MR with another airline (including A3, oeuf corse).
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Fully agree. I use LH Group airlines very frequently (LX mostly) and earning rates are far better when crediting to M&M. Any other scheme does not attract the same earning rates.

A poster upthread correctly identifies that you need to be flying quite a bit of paid longhaul J (if not F) on LH Group airlines to achieve decent status level.
If flying mainly Lufthansa short haul then there is no good FFP really. Whether I collect 125 miles in M&M or 0 in A3 is almost irrelevant. The business P bucket fare is just plain rude from LH and I avoid it like the plague. The problem is it is sometimes cheaper than a miles earning Y ticket and then I just change the flight to M&M at the gate just before boarding so I have my status benefits. 100,000 miles for SEN status doesn't sound too bad until you realize what it needs to get it. 7-10 TATL J returns in a non-discount bucket. Done correctly you can have BA and A3 Gold together for much less. And, A3 is still a great airline.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
If flying mainly Lufthansa short haul then there is no good FFP really. Whether I collect 125 miles in M&M or 0 in A3 is almost irrelevant. The business P bucket fare is just plain rude from LH and I avoid it like the plague. The problem is it is sometimes cheaper than a miles earning Y ticket and then I just change the flight to M&M at the gate just before boarding so I have my status benefits. 100,000 miles for SEN status doesn't sound too bad until you realize what it needs to get it. 7-10 TATL J returns in a non-discount bucket. Done correctly you can have BA and A3 Gold together for much less. And, A3 is still a great airline.
I don't want to engage in much more thread drift...but...LH Group shorthaul is not going to make you into a (serious) status holder, of course. SEN is not easy (certainly much harder than BA Gold), and it does take some decent amount of flying to achieve. I manage to hold SEN and BA Gold (soon to be GGL - mainly through OW partners rather than BA flights) but I would argue both are not directly comparable in reality. With my flying patterns, HON Circle would not be possible.

Let's get back on topic
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by V10
Lufthansa is efficient, but the short haul seating is terrible.
I disagree, have taken around a dozen Lufthansa short-haul flights this year and found the seating perfectly OK. Slightly more knee room than BA but a slightly less padded seat. I prefer the knee room (plus free snacks )
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by V10
Depends. Some considerations that may mean it's less of a loss than you might think:

- Ability to get breakfast before flying is a personal preference
- Booze selection in the lounge would not be top of my list of priorities before a day of business activities. Coming back the other way you're in normal business lounges anyway
- T2 is a better proposition than T5
Goodness me, I didn't even see BA6948's lips move!

Giving up (F) lounge access in both directions (and Avios earning) just to get a snack/drink onboard does seem puzzling to me, despite the points you have raised.

'normal business lounge' access would only apply if BA6948 was flying business class on LH, and I don't think this was the case here (or why the comparison?)

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Jul 26, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:08 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

Giving up (F) lounge access in both directions (and Avios earning) just to get a snack/drink onboard does seem puzzling to me, despite the points you have raised.
Just some random musings

It seems equally puzzling to me that you'd make your travel plans around visits to airport lounges, but horses for courses.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold

'normal business lounge' access would only apply if BA6948 was flying business class on LH, and I don't think this was the case here (or why the comparison?)
Don't worry. I didn't forget. I just had a busy day.

So the flight was great. After take off, the service started in Y. I had a salami in rye bread sandwich which was delicious. And I also got a coffee and a glass of "mineral" water. Everyone got something and most of us dozed off. Just before landing, I was a bit thirsty. Went to the back. Got 2 "mineral" water top ups and I didn't have to pay Ł2.30 each ;-). I had a chat with the flight attendant and told her: Is LH palnning to go BoB like BA for Y shorthaul? She told me absolutely not. They are even enhancing the meal tray on longer EU sectors with new presentation and fresh food. She said, we have Eurowings for BoB. And if the price of food does increase, they will add it to the flight ticket. That was a statement. Landed and thought that was the kind of service I enjoyed with BA: relaxed cabin, chatty and relaxed flight attendant? What do we have now on BA? Re-sellers either ignored by the whole cabin on shorter sectors (PAR or BRU) or a tense and overworked crew on longer routes where food is scarce and passengers are upset.

I managed to collect 1000 miles for my A3 account on this occasion afer having again secured Gold with BA thanks to QR and AY and Gold with AF. So I thought I might try something different. And I am glad I did. See, I value the inflight experience. And I am flexible with my booking choices for both my business and my leisure travel. Lounge access is great but flying every week, it tends to be a bit boring. I'd rather be late at the airport, enjoy a last cigarette and board the plane.

So all in all, a good experience and a good option to top up my A3 account. My partne is gold with A3. I was silver at some point and enjoyed the 2 business class coupons. Things might change next year. I will increase my Skyteam flying especially AF. As for BA, not sure. I will try to keep Silver at least with a coupe of lights to JNB but for the rest it is going to be QR, RJ, AA or AY. BA has gone from being my favorite airline to the one the airlines I dislike the most. Such a shame!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948
Don't worry. I didn't forget. I just had a busy day.

So the flight was great. After take off, the service started in Y. I had a salami in rye bread sandwich which was delicious. And I also got a coffee and a glass of "mineral" water. Everyone got something and most of us dozed off. Just before landing, I was a bit thirsty. Went to the back. Got 2 "mineral" water top ups and I didn't have to pay Ł2.30 each ;-). I had a chat with the flight attendant and told her: Is LH palnning to go BoB like BA for Y shorthaul? She told me absolutely not. They are even enhancing the meal tray on longer EU sectors with new presentation and fresh food. She said, we have Eurowings for BoB. And if the price of food does increase, they will add it to the flight ticket. That was a statement. Landed and thought that was the kind of service I enjoyed with BA: relaxed cabin, chatty and relaxed flight attendant? What do we have now on BA? Re-sellers either ignored by the whole cabin on shorter sectors (PAR or BRU) or a tense and overworked crew on longer routes where food is scarce and passengers are upset.

I managed to collect 1000 miles for my A3 account on this occasion afer having again secured Gold with BA thanks to QR and AY and Gold with AF. So I thought I might try something different. And I am glad I did. See, I value the inflight experience. And I am flexible with my booking choices for both my business and my leisure travel. Lounge access is great but flying every week, it tends to be a bit boring. I'd rather be late at the airport, enjoy a last cigarette and board the plane.

So all in all, a good experience and a good option to top up my A3 account. My partne is gold with A3. I was silver at some point and enjoyed the 2 business class coupons. Things might change next year. I will increase my Skyteam flying especially AF. As for BA, not sure. I will try to keep Silver at least with a coupe of lights to JNB but for the rest it is going to be QR, RJ, AA or AY. BA has gone from being my favorite airline to the one the airlines I dislike the most. Such a shame!
This is a strength of FT I think, to hear differing perspectives from a broad spectrum of people.

So for me, I hate salami so I would have preferred BoB where if I was hungry I could choose something I liked. Also my guess is the BoB coffee would be superior in quality and quantity to what you had.

As an infrequent leisure flyer I really value lounge access and enjoy it very much I'm not a smoker either, so perhaps it is easier for me to enjoy a longer lounge visit.

I'm curious - why "mineral" water in quotes? Was it not actually mineral water?

Anyway, different strokes for different folks...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:03 pm

This is a strength of FT I think, to hear differing perspectives from a broad spectrum of people.

So for me, I hate salami so I would have preferred BoB where if I was hungry I could choose something I liked. Also my guess is the BoB coffee would be superior in quality and quantity to what you had.

As an infrequent leisure flyer I really value lounge access and enjoy it very much I'm not a smoker either, so perhaps it is easier for me to enjoy a longer lounge visit.

I'm curious - why "mineral" water in quotes? Was it not actually mineral water?

Anyway, different strokes for different folks...
Salami is what I got. There was another option. I think it was cheese. The sandwich was fresh. I haven't tried BA's coffee and that of EI and I think they are similar. They are ok. LH's is also ok.

"Mineral" just to emphasize it was not water from the tank ;-)

And fly LH to Athens and you'll get a proper meal. Beats BA's sarnies hands down. Plus you have your choice of beers and wine for free. AF gives you champagne or Gin&Tonic...These are what I call quality airlines.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by BA6948
Salami is what I got. There was another option. I think it was cheese. The sandwich was fresh. I haven't tried BA's coffee and that of EI and I think they are similar. They are ok. LH's is also ok.

"Mineral" just to emphasize it was not water from the tank ;-)

And fly LH to Athens and you'll get a proper meal. Beats BA's sarnies hands down. Plus you have your choice of beers and wine for free. AF gives you champagne or Gin&Tonic...These are what I call quality airlines.
Hmmm a cheese sandwich isn't doing it for me I'm afraid! Haha, not from the tank

Wow I didn't realise LH flew from LHR to ATH now! Of course, if one had to change in Germany it would become a far less attractive proposition... (even if you would double up on your "free" sandwiches!)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC

So for me, I hate salami so I would have preferred BoB where if I was hungry I could choose something I liked. Also my guess is the BoB coffee would be superior in quality and quantity to what you had....
Although, with BA BoB, there are usually only about half a dozen sandwiches loaded at most, so it's a bit of pot luck as to whether you'll get anything at all...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:01 pm

Hmmm a cheese sandwich isn't doing it for me I'm afraid! Haha, not from the tank

Wow I didn't realise LH flew from LHR to ATH now! Of course, if one had to change in Germany it would become a far less attractive proposition... (even if you would double up on your "free" sandwiches!)
Once you go Aegean, you never come back! Try them on LHR-ATH/LCA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hmmm a cheese sandwich isn't doing it for me I'm afraid!
Wow I didn't realise LH flew from LHR to ATH now! Of course, if one had to change in Germany it would become a far less attractive proposition...
Originally Posted by bafan
Although, with BA BoB, there are usually only about half a dozen sandwiches loaded at most, so it's a bit of pot luck as to whether you'll get anything at all...
As bafan mentions, BA only loads a few sandwiches and frequently of one, two, or at best three varieties (the few cases when they load everything) at most. It seems to me that Flexible Preferences 's arguments would make EasyJet with either individual paid lounge entry or a priority pass card a much better airline for that passenger: more sandwich varieties (on ba i've been on several BOB flights where people were told that the cheese sandwich was indeed the only option so that wouldn't do it, by contrast, U2, frequently has 6-7 options, better coffee, and nonstop from London to all of their favourite destinations. Or is orange an offensive colour that disqualifies the airline?

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 26, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
As bafan mentions, BA only loads a few sandwiches and frequently of one, two, or at best three varieties (the few cases when they load everything) at most. It seems to me that Flexible Preferences 's arguments would make EasyJet with either individual paid lounge entry or a priority pass card a much better airline for that passenger: more sandwich varieties (on ba i've been on several BOB flights where people were told that the cheese sandwich was indeed the only option so that wouldn't do it, by contrast, U2, frequently has 6-7 options, better coffee, and nonstop from London to all of their favourite destinations. Or is orange an offensive colour that disqualifies the airline?
Perhaps its the brands on sale that aren't classy enough?

Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:24 pm

For the first time, they are being honest. Have a look:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.