Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by bafan
The menu is still really uninspired, isn't it, when you look at all the options offered on the high street by Pret, Eat and Itsu et al...?
I agree. It is boring and uninspired. At least Aer Lingus has that delicious breakfast and some other great stuff. You know, it is BA.the whole airline has become uninspiring and boring.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by BA6948
I agree. It is boring and uninspired. At least Aer Lingus has that delicious breakfast and some other great stuff. You know, it is BA.the whole airline has become uninspiring and boring.
We have all read about it: 57 flavours of one theme posted 96 times by your good self in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-service.html thread and 73 times in this thread. We learned this week that BA has rotated its BOB menu. A little bit of variety to good for the soul, no?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
We have all read about it: 57 flavours of one theme posted 96 times by your good self in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-service.html thread and 73 times in this thread. We learned this week that BA has rotated its BOB menu. A little bit of variety to good for the soul, no?
Well unless they offer something appealing, am I not allowed to be frustrated. A full English breakfast would be a great addition instead of the Bacon Roll. And also an additional warm option would be great.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I would happily pay for a hot square meal, like the former band 4 ET meals (RIP)
I will not pay for a carb-laden stodge fest that is so evidently the cheapest hot item with the longest storage potential they could think of.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ENTP
I would happily pay for a hot square meal, like the former band 4 ET meals (RIP)
I will not pay for a carb-laden stodge fest that is so evidently the cheapest hot item with the longest storage potential they could think of.
^
THIS!!!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
For those who enjoy a good waffle, reassuring to see that it remains a key component in the updated summer menu:

- "specially selected bread filled with the finest ingredients ......."

and

- "our Club sandwich has been taken to a whole new level ........"

Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ENTP
If I was going to pay for food and drinks I'd be flying an LCC.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by subject2load
For those who enjoy a good waffle, reassuring to see that it remains a key component in the updated summer menu:

- "specially selected bread filled with the finest ingredients ......."

and

- "our Club sandwich has been taken to a whole new level ........"

In fairness they aren't suggesting the new level is up or down.......
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
I still think they should get the hot sub rolls M&S sell with beef or chicken options on the longer routes.

Easy to heat up, longish shelf life and I used to love them in my late teenage years after a Morrocan woodbine.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by smokie36
I still think they should get the hot sub rolls M&S sell with beef or chicken options on the longer routes.

Easy to heat up, longish shelf life and I used to love them in my late teenage years after a Morrocan woodbine.
I want my Ryanair Lasagne on BA!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
A little bit of variety to good for the soul, no?
Assuming, of course, that there is anything available to purchase on board
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I want my Ryanair Lasagne on BA!

I'm amazed they sell that...is it good and how long does it take to be served?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by smokie36
I'm amazed they sell that...is it good and how long does it take to be served?
Well certainly better than nothing! I have eaten it twice so far and I am fine with it. It takes about 5-10 minutes from ordering (and paying 5 EUR) via the call button to being served as they microwave it obviously.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:11 am

I just came back from a Ryanair return ATH-STN-ATH. Observations were that from Athens, I really had to buy on board as the airside options are really not so good, a few sandwiches and croissants.
After reading this forum so much, I was scared Ryanair was like BA on board and had run out of what I wanted, but sure enough, my first choice lasagne was available and that is what I ate!

On the return, Stansted has all sorts of food, so settled for some Pret a Manger and Itsu, so didn't need to bother with buy on board.

Now this is important for BA, as I am sure Alex Cruz thought he could get away without feeding the passengers, which is fine from LHR as you have so much food to bring on board.

But it would be an awful trip from rudimentary airports like ATH, JMK, KGS, and many others I have not seen where you really can't buy much at the airport. So one would really hope that BA had both cold and hot options in stock out of places like ATH where you are on the plane for over 4 hours!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Took a LOT flight over the weekend, and they have BoB in Y.
Much to my surprise, they offer complementary:
-Water in a cup from a bottle
-Tea
-Coffee
-Prince Polo (a wafer cookie, multiple if you ask nicely)

Other beverages and food is available at reasonable prices, being priced in PLN.
If LOT can do it so well, why can't BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.