Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
But at least the gin you will be receiving is Bombay Sapphire and not Gordons

I for one don't see that as an improvement, I dislike even the smell of Bombay Sapphire but would happily drink Gordons or indeed almost any other gin. Bombay Sapphire is a very particular taste and not liked by all.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
But at least the gin you will be receiving is Bombay Sapphire and not Gordons
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I for one don't see that as an improvement, I dislike even the smell of Bombay Sapphire but would happily drink Gordons or indeed almost any other gin. Bombay Sapphire is a very particular taste and not liked by all.
Agreed. It is to do with gin snobbery. Bombay Sapphire is gin for vodka drinkers.

Gordons is actually a really solid (mass-market) gin.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I'm a contented Gordon's drinker ..... have been for many years.

But happy with Bombay Sapphire too. Although I'm of the view that the latter is more about a snazzy-looking bottle, often favoured by the instagram hipster generation
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Agreed. It is to do with gin snobbery. Bombay Sapphire is gin for vodka drinkers.

Spot on! Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks etc are brands created to appear traditional, but deliberately blended to appeal to a mass market that buys on appearence (of both the product and themselves) and knows little about the authentic taste of the product.

Real gin drinkers prefer gin to taste like gin. Gordon's for gin and Smirnoff for vodka offer mainstream mass market products that are high quality and representative of the drink type. Both offer more premium products - in the case of Gordon's that is Tanquerray, which would be my preference.

As so often happens with snobbery, there are plenty of snake-oil merchants who will play to your vanity as they take your money.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:52 am

So why isn't BA selling its own gin with BoB?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Spot on! Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks etc are brands created to appear traditional, but deliberately blended to appeal to a mass market that buys on appearence (of both the product and themselves) and knows little about the authentic taste of the product.

Real gin drinkers prefer gin to taste like gin. Gordon's for gin and Smirnoff for vodka offer mainstream mass market products that are high quality and representative of the drink type. Both offer more premium products - in the case of Gordon's that is Tanquerray, which would be my preference.

As so often happens with snobbery, there are plenty of snake-oil merchants who will play to your vanity as they take your money.
Totally agree with the bit I bolded, but have to say Hendricks is about the only gin I like to drink neat.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC

I would just prefer whichever was free over one I had to pay for...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver

Perhaps true for some people, and everyone has their own individual tastes of course. I also agree that Gordon's is a very solid brand and very adequate, but personally out of the two I prefer the Bombay. I presume I am not on my own on that one, especially considering the comments of disgust that emerge on occasion where only Gordon's, and not Bombay, was readily available in lounges. In addition I was once told that across BA's club establishments, Bombay consumption outstrips Gordon's when both offerings coexist at a rate of 4:1!

In all honesty, I am of the same opinion as Bafan; I would prefer any variety that is free within reason, but as we now don't have that luxury and have to dig deep in times of austerity, I would prefer it were Bombay at £6 a shot over Gordon's.

Last edited by TyneTraveller; Feb 8, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by rapidex
So why isn't BA selling its own gin with BoB?
Tesco haven't been able to guarantee sufficient supply!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Tesco haven't been able to guarantee suffcient supply!
I thought that the Tesco Value line was one of the biggest producers in the country
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Tesco haven't been able to guarantee suffcient supply!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by lloydah
but have to say Hendricks is about the only gin I like to drink neat.
Quite.
I accidentally feel asleep last night and missed the service, so no tonic for the BS I'd brought aboard.
I drank it neat and regretted it immensely.
This was one of the 5cl bottles I'd bought in T5 outbound (£5), and the screw cap failed spectacularly - so be careful out there, kids.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
An interesting article that clearly shows that BA is going the opposite direction of other legacy airlines.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...-battleground/
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
Quite.
I accidentally feel asleep last night and missed the service, so no tonic for the BS I'd brought aboard.
I drank it neat and regretted it immensely.
This was one of the 5cl bottles I'd bought in T5 outbound (£5), and the screw cap failed spectacularly - so be careful out there, kids.
You know you're not meant to bite it off with your teeth........
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD, Star Alliance, HH Gold
Initially I wasn't too bothered about the new BOB menu as I rarely took the wraps that were on offer. I just liked a soft drink.
I've now bought from the BOB menu twice. Returning from TXL I asked for tea. It was a decent size cup but wasn't expecting to pay £2.30 for it to be half full. I'm sure they will quote health and safety for it not being full but if I'd paid that amount for a cup of tea in a shop I would have asked for half of my money back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.