Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by layz
5 star airline?
5* LCC maybe.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
Now I see Easyjet vs BA the same as London Overground vs Southern Rail. In both cases the orange one is cheaper and more reliable, but you sometimes need to take the other one to get to your destination.

As with most other posters, I used to always fly BA without looking at other options. I no longer see them as offering value for money (either my money or my employers).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Low cost airlines generally attract a 3 star rating.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
5 star airline?
Well under the Skytrax 1-5 star rating system for world airlines, BA are rated as 4.

They do, however, achieve a weighted average score of 5 when measured by customer reviews posted on their site. Only problem is ..... those scores are marked out of 10 !
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by subject2load
Well under the Skytrax 1-5 star rating system for world airlines, BA are rated as 4.

They do, however, get an overall score of 5 when measured by customer reviews posted on their site. Only problem is ..... those scores are marked out of 10 !
There's no way they would even maintain 4 stars in the current situation. Assuming everything works with BoB, then you are looking at probably a 3. If it's not fixed soon (or abandoned) then most likely it would achieve a lower level than EZ, which is a 3. Well published failings and cuts to the F and J products would also weigh heavily on any new rating.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I am not too miffed about BoB. I never really cared for the free 'meal' in economy anyway. But I also wouldn't expect to pay a premium for BA over other low cost carriers.

I am unlikely to buy anything on board. If I want a sandwich I'll buy it from Pret a Manger in the terminal.

If BA sell freshly brewed coffee from an espresso machine (as you get in business on RJ) then I would willingly pay for that.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by jahason

I am unlikely to buy anything on board. If I want a sandwich I'll buy it from Pret a Manger in the terminal.

Makes sense. I think pretty much any Bring on Board food will prove better value (with far more choice of course) than any bought on board.

If you happen to be near a Sainsburys on the day before your flight, check out their sandwich of "Maple cured British bacon, tomato and apollo lettuce with mayonnaise on malted bread" - looks more substantial than the rather basic BA bacon roll offering (albeit, hot) and a lot more keenly priced, at just Ł2.20.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
5* LCC maybe.
Then the Rating Organizations will need a new category !
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Makes sense. I think pretty much any Bring on Board food will prove better value (with far more choice of course) than any bought on board.

If you happen to be near a Sainsburys on the day before your flight, check out their sandwich of "Maple cured British bacon, tomato and apollo lettuce with mayonnaise on malted bread" - looks more substantial than the rather basic BA bacon roll offering (albeit, hot) and a lot more keenly priced, at just Ł2.20.
I'd always rate a hot bacon roll more highly than some soggy BLT!

Plus when Sainsbury's 'enahnced' their meal deal (it used to be every sandwich qualified, now it's only the cheap ones), they also 'enhanced' their supplier and the quality took a nosedive.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Plus when Sainsbury's 'enahnced' their meal deal (it used to be every sandwich qualified, now it's only the cheap ones), they also 'enhanced' their supplier and the quality took a nosedive.
In the process absolutely murdering the lunchtime trade and footfall of their 'local' stores.

The 2 by me on Cannon street are now eerily quiet at lunchtime, which is handy for my one visit a month when I want to but a chocolate bar.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by bhbloke
In the process absolutely murdering the lunchtime trade and footfall of their 'local' stores.

The 2 by me on Cannon street are now eerily quiet at lunchtime, which is handy for my one visit a month when I want to but a chocolate bar.
They almost have a monopooly where I'm working at the moment, they're 2 minutes walk away. You can go an extra 5 minutes walk to Tesco where it's equally as bad but cheaper and you get Clubcard points or 15 minutes to somewhere decent (for sandwiches).

There's a few other decent places to eat close by but nothing in the grab and go area.

I hope they'll at least review their supplier. When they changed the meal deal they promised quality would improve but instead it has gone the other way. Has Alex Cruz started advising Sainsbury's?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
They almost have a monopooly where I'm working at the moment, they're 2 minutes walk away. You can go an extra 5 minutes walk to Tesco where it's equally as bad but cheaper and you get Clubcard points or 15 minutes to somewhere decent (for sandwiches).

There's a few other decent places to eat close by but nothing in the grab and go area.

I hope they'll at least review their supplier. When they changed the meal deal they promised quality would improve but instead it has gone the other way. Has Alex Cruz started advising Sainsbury's?
Perhaps he will sign up John Cleese for the next BA TV ad
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:42 am

Well I can't say that I've had any major issues with Sainsburys, but tastes do vary of course, as I accept. Plus, mostly when using LCC's with BoB ex-UK, I prefer, where time allows, to put together something myself at home (obviously not so easy for return sectors)

That apart, the more fundamental reason for preferring to Bring on Board (versus Buy) - where BA is now concerned - is the fact that you simply don't know for sure whether you will actually be able to get anything at all once on the aircraft - as per countless reports of inadequately-catered/serviced flights (including some where no food at all has been loaded).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Plus, mostly when using LCC's with BoB ex-UK, I prefer, where time allows, to put together something myself at home (obviously not so easy for return sectors)
Self catering is fun...and you can't blame anyone but yourself if it's of poor quality. We still do it a lot when we travel. Egg sandwiches are one of my favourites.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
I see American has just launched a 'basic economy' fare but even they haven't removed 'snacks' from the offering.

No overhead luggage though.

http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...x?sf51541336=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.