Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by destere
Let's not get too cynical about this. Any revenue will be a factor, but H&S will come in to it too. Incidents cost money too...
I think we are entitled to be cynical. After having our paper statements taken away "for the environment" and our towels not being changed "for the environment", I feel entitled to take the Adam Smith baker's view of why for-profits do things.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 17, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
I think we are entitled to be cynical. After having our paper statements taken away "for the environment" and our towels not being changed "for the environment, I feel entitled to take the Adam Smith baker's view of why for-profits do things.
I did say too cynical. Let's not pretend that it is all 1 dimensional in every area and in every situation. Safety is crucial for all manner of reasons. And of course, as I point out, incidents also cost money.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by destere
I did say too cynical. Let's not pretend that it is all 1 dimensional in every area and in every situation. Safety is crucial for all manner of reasons. And of course, as I point out, incidents also cost money.
Absolutely. You can expect your own booze to be banned very shortly after the next unscheduled diversion to offload some drunken idiot.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Anybody aware what changes there will be on the Sun Air services from City? Probably off to Bremen in the new year? I know that cityflyer is not changing for a while....
I expect zero changes. Sun Air run their operations as they see fit.

What is more interesting is whether Alex Cruz will try to raise the price they charge Sun Air to use BA branding, and whether Sun Air continues to benefit from being associated with BA. Unlike Comair, IAG has zero ownership in Sun Air. It's purely a commercial arrangement.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Guys is it me or is the menu only sandwiches? I want a HOT meal on a 4 hour ATH-LHR-ATH!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Guys is it me or is the menu only sandwiches? I want a HOT meal on a 4 hour ATH-LHR-ATH!
It's only sandwiches (only three types of sandwiches in fact) or packed snacks.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's only sandwiches (only three types of sandwiches in fact) or packed snacks.
That's a disgrace. I quite enjoy my FR Lasagne for 5 EUR! I'll avoid this route with BA at all cost.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Apart from some cabin crew, I don't think we've seen the final menu yet (note the "some" word used on BA.com). However two of the sandwiches are served hot. I suspect that like easyJet (etc) it won't be much more than that, perhaps porridge pots.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Apart from some cabin crew, I don't think we've seen the final menu yet (note the "some" word used on BA.com). However two of the sandwiches are served hot. I suspect that like easyJet (etc) it won't be much more than that, perhaps porridge pots.
You've lose me here. Do you mean that you think that this is not the final menu because of the "some"?

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...|||||L2|||||||

I may well be wrong, but my sense is that both this and the drinks menu on the same page are likely the final thing.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:22 pm

M&S make a decent lasagne. Why can't they just bring that and cook it? Ryanair style! I'll pay up to a fiver for it.

I hope BA will do meal deals so i won't die of thirst while eating my lasagne, or will I have to bring a litre bottle of water from the airport =)
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You've lose me here. Do you mean that you think that this is not the final menu?

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...|||||L2|||||||

My sense is that both this and the drinks menu on the same page are intended as the final thing.
See the bit marked "Here are just some of the exciting food options you can look forward to on board." The press packs have mentioned other products.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:28 pm

See the bit marked "Here are just some of the exciting food options you can look forward to on board." The press packs have mentioned other products.
Thanks. Yes I've seen the "some" but just did not give it any credence since it would look like an odd type of sample (they say the same about the drinks), but if they indeed gave other examples on the press packs (I have not seen them so aren't sure what they mention) there would indeed be more.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:32 pm

Thanks. Yes I've seen the "some" but just did not give it any credence since it would look like an odd type of sample (they say the same about the drinks), but if they indeed gave other examples on the press packs (I have not seen them so aren't sure what they mention) there would indeed be more.
OK, I'm being necessarily a bit disingenuous, there are several menus whizzing around, and that's where the seasonality aspect will come in, they are already got changes lined up for summer. I don't think it changes the centrality of ahmetdouas' point, it's just a few things like bacon baguettes and porridge that is likely to be served warm.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:44 pm

OK, I'm being necessarily a bit disingenuous, there are several menus whizzing around, and that's where the seasonality aspect will come in, they are already got changes lined up for summer. I don't think it changes the centrality of ahmetdouas' point, it's just a few things like bacon baguettes and porridge that is likely to be served warm.
Am i asking too much? A hot meal for a 4 hour flight?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Am i asking too much? A hot meal for a 4 hour flight?
IMO it's reasonable to expect a complimentary meal on flights over 4h. Iberia has this policy, so AFAIK there is a chance of this being implemented on BA as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.