Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Aus_Mal
Wiki Link
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 29, 16, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by mec72 View Post
"[...] and buy your food and drinks in one easy transaction."

... because on FR or EZ you need to pay for each item separately...? Am I missing something?

Perhaps it's a Freudian slip: "one Easy(Jet) transaction"
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:27 am

Charging for water? That's the last time i set foot on BA.

It will take a lot longer to recover the reputation than it has to lose it.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond VIP, Shangri La Jade, Amex Plat
I've just emailed my thoughts on this "enhancement" to BA. I find the word "upgrading" to be insulting and absurd - the worst kind of marketing spin. This move may be a small change, but it may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Full-service and premium or LCC? You can't be both.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy View Post
I've no doubt they know more than me about running an airline.
I think that should have been ruining, rather than running. The management seem to be experts at the former.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
I think someone else has said this but I was particularly peeved at the idea that this was an upgrade to the service offering.

I think it shows just how awful the service is that you can describe having to pay for something which was previously free as being an upgrade.

As for the internal BA forum at BA being filled with happy people ( not) ....hardly surprising and yet another reason to avoid the airline.

While 4 sectors remain the requirement for silver I can live with their mean spirited, lousy service on those 4 while getting my avios and tier points on other one world carriers.

Just wish someone else would come up with family accounts in the UK.. Till then take a hip flask into the lounge!!
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by tom139 View Post
Yes I've had the miles credited for my upcoming Euro Traveller sectors and the 28 day cancellation rule is penalty free.
was this automatic, or did you have to ask?
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by binman View Post
I think someone else has said this but I was particularly peeved at the idea that this was an upgrade to the service offering.
To be fair, they mean that the food itself - the actual offering - has been upgraded.

I don't think many would argue with that.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:33 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Most of my thoughts have already been voiced here, but two things remain.

1) Will they go contactless for payment? THe current credit card system seems pretty inefficient - I'm not a frequent on board purchaser but transactions seem to take ages with manual entry of credit card details more often than not.
This one I can answer that Alex Cruz Tuesday stated on the press event that it will be contactless to speed up payment and also the reason for not receiving cash.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:38 am

BA are getting a fair bit of trashing on Instagram (for those that use it) - it looks like BA has tried to prepare its social media communication outlets in order to divert from today's announcements.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:39 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
They've just confirmed on Twitter that there will still be free drinking water.

Hi, We have clean potable water on board, which our customers are welcome to have, but we believe many people will 1/2
want to buy their own bottle of water so they can take it with them off the aircraft. ^Sarah 2/2
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
- and the links on the website don't even work

http://www.britishairways.com/inform...|||||L2|||||||

They should be b****y well Sorry and not just for the broken link..

GD
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll View Post
Hilarious suggestion that people will pay inflated prices to take it off the aircraft. I will enjoy drinking Senor Cruz's free supply on the off chance I do end up on BA
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by herro View Post
This one I can answer that Alex Cruz Tuesday stated on the press event that it will be contactless to speed up payment and also the reason for not receiving cash.
Mmm, contactless isn't always available in some parts of Europe....

Anyway I have toddled up Whitehall to the Charing Cross M&S Simply Food, and here is a comparison on the food. As already noted, the suspicion must be that BA are looking to make money more from drinks than food, but the difference onboard is fairly small for most items.

I couldn't find the oriental snack mix. I wonder if the popcorn is a misprint (in either direction), and the Percy Pig was Piglets, which is probably a difference only I would worry about. The other big difference is the spiced chicken. Almost all the Charing Cross items were in some sort of meal deal or other multi purchase promotion, which suggests the standalone price is higher than a flat competition price would be.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll View Post
That's at least good to know. It was my main concern.
Old Sep 29, 16, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by ENTP View Post
Hilarious suggestion that people will pay inflated prices to take it off the aircraft. I will enjoy drinking Senor Cruz's free supply on the off chance I do end up on BA
Indeed. Let's just hope their clearly erroneous beliefs don't lead to this fact being hidden away in some small print somewhere, like the EU compensation info typically is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: