FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

PETER01 Sep 29, 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 27279382)
Where's the BA Official on here? Don't they usually deliver news and FAQs? They clearly have no time or care for FT as well as their long suffering staff members...

That's a good point but I think it is fair comment that if any of the BA Reps do post and they have been very helpful with many many members on here for various issues, members shouldn't 'have a go' at them personally about this specific issue of BoB.

It is not their role on here to defend BA and they will only be delivering information from decisions made by people way, way above them. Complain by voting with your feet/wallet, tweet, FB, write to BA, use ba.com etc etc.

Back on topic I am very disappointed that even tea, coffee and water are not freely available.

stu1985 Sep 29, 2016 9:17 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27279700)

Back on topic I am very disappointed that even tea, coffee and water are not freely available.

£2.30 for a teabag is f*cking ridiculous if you ask me!

Dicksbits Sep 29, 2016 9:18 am

Originally Posted by markle (Post 27278538)
I note that the drinks menu has no mention of Tomato Juice.

Mrs Markle will be inconsolable if she will no longer be able to have her in-flight Bloody Mary.

Exactly!!! Monarch are the same!

opalfruit Sep 29, 2016 9:19 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 27279693)
Interesting that quite a lot of people on Twitter seem to think this is a good move, particularly the M&S aspect.

Are you using a different Twitter to the rest of us?

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...rways&src=typd

The feedback (at least those related to the catering change) seem almost unanimously negative.

ajamieson Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27279442)
FR charges for bottled water but I believe you can ask for a free cup of potable water.

You'd be pretty thirsty to want to drink the aircraft potable water. It is treated with chemicals and just about bearable in coffee.

It would cost very little to serve decent water for free (most airlines do it by the cup from a large bottle on the trolley) so BA seems to be positioning itself lower than most of its competitors.

I'm pleased for people who want to buy food on board since you can't get anything decent at the moment. But taking away marginal-cost drinks and dressing it up as an upgrade is just offensive.

mikeyfly Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am

Exactly PETER01! My point was not to have a go at the Rep as the Face(less) BA worker, but have the opportunity to have questions answered re future bookings etc rather than everyone ranting and throwing up hypothetical scenarios... Maybe they'll pop up?

NickB Sep 29, 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer (Post 27279468)
I suspect BA really won't care too much about the short term bashing they're inevitably going to get today and over the next couple of weeks. They know that it'll die down, become an issue again in January when it's introduced, and then tacit acceptance will occur.

I think that this is, to some extent, right. I would not expect a sudden, dramatic fall. The impact, imo, will be far more gradual: it will be greater proportion of customers switching to LCCs as everything that used to distinguish BA from an LCC operator disappears and all you are left with is the price differential. The real damage is the damage to the brand when BA is no longer perceived (rightly or wrongly) as offering a superior product to LCCs.
Individuals like Cruz, however, are not terribly bothered by that and never held responsible for it because, by the time the damage is done, they are long gone.

The only thing that will really hit them, on the basis that LH is where the money is, is where this move takes away connecting traffic.
I think that it is a mistake to think that the only thing that matters is long-haul traffic. Most short-haul routes cannot be sustained purely on connecting long-haul traffic. You need both O&D and connecting traffic to sustain most routes. If you struggle with O&D traffic, that will impact on the viability of the route.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson (Post 27279757)
You'd be pretty thirsty to want to drink the aircraft potable water. It is treated with chemicals and just about bearable in coffee.

It would cost very little to serve decent water for free (most airlines do it by the cup from a large bottle on the trolley) so BA seems to be positioning itself lower than most of its competitors.

The water from a bottle is usually also considered potable ;) :D

except - perhaps - when it's needed to flush!

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 27279739)

Maybe we can bring our own teabags and ask for free boiled water??? :D:D:D

Or maybe we can bring an empty thermos through security, and then fill it at a boiling-water-dispenser before boarding? If only Heathrow and Gatwick would be kind enough to install them :)

darthlemsip Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27279459)
Currently only Eurotraveller and Domestic are affected.

If you're connecting from TXL to LHR-JFK in F you will be unaffected by this change.

If they stuffed you onto VY for the connection you might consider AF instead.

Rename the first few rows some form of Business, don't put anyone in the middle seat and let those pax have a couple of things from the BOB menu.

Which I fully expect is what the 'improved' CE will be soon enough

"In line with our customers wishes for a common and consistent short haul service..." etc

PETER01 Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 27279761)
Exactly PETER01! My point was not to have a go at the Rep as the Face(less) BA worker, but have the opportunity to have questions answered re future bookings etc rather than everyone ranting and throwing up hypothetical scenarios... Maybe they'll pop up?

I interpreted your post read that the BA Reps on here don't care so sorry of that wasn't the case but it's a point worth raising though in my post.

It's still a while away yet but I would be happy if the BA Reps on here can (if possible as they might have been instructed not to post of Flyertalk re this emotive issue), to confirm one way or another if existing bookings will be honoured but for some reason I doubt it.

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by opalfruit (Post 27279752)
Are you using a different Twitter to the rest of us?

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...rways&src=typd

The feedback (at least those related to the catering change) seem almost unanimously negative.

Presumably the same one Alex uses?
“We’ve already been reading the comments that people have been made about this. But when I read those same comments the balance of the comments show that there are people who understand the choice and quality arguments. We are providing a link with a fantastic brand in Marks and Spencer and to be honest we are really really really far away from becoming a low cost airline. The fact that you can pay with avios shows we have may other gadgets and services that make us an airline that has substantially more product offering than a LCC.”
--- Señor A. Cruz

DYKWIA Sep 29, 2016 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Bearface (Post 27279675)
How is this going to work with minimum crew with one working in Club?

One it comes to LCY service I'm not sure how the sole CC working in Y is going to get a full BoB service done...

If it's anything like AY, they quickly sort out the J passengers, and then do the BoB run down the plane.

So, if you want another drink in J, then you'll probably have a long wait.

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Lite (Post 27279453)
I'm not sure if you've ever flown with flybe or easyJet but some of those sectors like GLA - BHD or LPL - IOM are as fast, if not slightly faster, than a LBA or MAN out of LHR and the service is always completed.

Oh, I have.

I had my first buy-on-board experience on a BA flight recently (a Vueling flight, AMS-LTN, bought as a BA codeshare). I'm glad I had breakfast at the BA lounge in Schiphol, because first, the crew didn't show up till about half an hour past boarding time, and when we finally set off, they hid behind their curtains at the front and back of the plane for the entire flight and didn't do the buy-on-board catering run that they should have done.

PETER01 Sep 29, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27279700)

That's not bad really and about the going rate. Harrods charge £5 for a pot of tea for one :p:D;):rolleyes:

stu1985 Sep 29, 2016 9:31 am

Even more ridiculous PETER01!!

Bluebirdnick Sep 29, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by southsidesilver (Post 27279393)
Well I have 35 confirmed paid and booked flights on BA from Jan 2017 - June 2017.
All short haul Europe hops.

So should I will be rather happy if I get 1000 for each booking !

I have already logged over 30 complaints online via the BA portal for each booking, I guess I will see what they say.

I'm going to request a chargeback for the flights I have booked. Petty and it probably won't get very far, but I'll enjoy it. BA say a G&T and a sandwich is a little over a tenner, so that is what I will ask for on each booking

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip (Post 27279780)
Rename the first few rows some form of Business, don't put anyone in the middle seat and let those pax have a couple of things from the BOB menu.

I like that naming suggestion.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we will shortly be commencing our in-flight service. Customers in our some-form-of-business cabin will be offered a complimentary snack and bar service. Customers in our Hungry Traveller cabin will be able to select from our extensive buy-on-board menu, unless of course you don't have a contactless payment card or any Avios with you, in which case, you will stay hungry until we land in Istanbul in 3.5 hours/Athens in 3 hours, in which case you will resolve to travel with Turkish Airlines/Aegean Airlines next time

PETER01 Sep 29, 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 (Post 27279814)
Even more ridiculous PETER01!!

Yes I was jesting of course hence the wink and the sarcasm icon. Tea, coffee and water should really be free.

It just makes you wonder............what's next?!!!!!!!!!

aysoo Sep 29, 2016 9:35 am

please group, boycott those changes and dont spend a penny

markle Sep 29, 2016 9:36 am

Oh dear, BA haven't even bothered to update their own website - screen when booking for May 2017

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtiBmmrXYAAkpkq.jpg

irishguy28 Sep 29, 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Petrus (Post 27279547)
Just a reminder that Alex Cruz, on his first day at Waterside, during his maiden speech, said there would be no further cuts to service this year.

So either he was lying

How very dare you!

He wasn't lying. This "enchantment" commences next year - on January 11, to be precise. [Meaning they are turning down around 100 days of potential M&S profiteering by not introducing it sooner!]

World Traveller Fuss Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am

One actual enhancement if this is happening...

Let us pre-order hot meals? Avoid wastage with a pre-order system. But I'd love the option to have a hot meal (M&S or otherwise) to quell my lounge boozing (which I'll self-enhance to make up for the onboard service). Also, end of long day of work etc etc etc.

Ldnn1 Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick (Post 27279818)
I'm going to request a chargeback for the flights I have booked. Petty and it probably won't get very far, but I'll enjoy it. BA say a G&T and a sandwich is a little over a tenner, so that is what I will ask for on each booking

You don't need to request a chargeback. According to the poster above BA CS are offering 1000 avios per booking (about a tenner) or a refund if desired.

perthflyer Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27279832)
Yes I was jesting of course hence the wink and the sarcasm icon. Tea, coffee and water should really be free.

Is there even anything left these days to upgrade/enhance!? :p;)

Silver Fox Sep 29, 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by aysoo (Post 27279836)
please group, boycott those changes and dont spend a penny

Don't give them ideas, they will charge for that next! :)

Calchas Sep 29, 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip (Post 27279780)

Which I fully expect is what the 'improved' CE will be soon enough

"In line with our customers wishes for a common and consistent short haul service..." etc

VY do have something like this, but you presently cannot book it under a BA code.

Lite Sep 29, 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 27279803)
Oh, I have.

I had my first buy-on-board experience on a BA flight recently (a Vueling flight, AMS-LTN, bought as a BA codeshare). I'm glad I had breakfast at the BA lounge in Schiphol, because first, the crew didn't show up till about half an hour past boarding time, and when we finally set off, they hid behind their curtains at the front and back of the plane for the entire flight and didn't do the buy-on-board catering run that they should have done.

It's a shame that was your experience of vueling, as low cost airlines go, I've always really enjoyed their service. I can at the least vouch for the short hops offered by flybe that the trolley always gets rolled through and have never seen them struggle for time to serve everyone and do it courteously at that in their very short flight lengths.

ratechaser Sep 29, 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27279832)

Well, here are a few possibilities

1) BIL (buy in lounge)
2) Oyster card readers at T5 Gates 4/10
3) 10% added SQ (like YQ only for the privilege of using a seat)
4) New 'extras' menu in the Spa (for the more discerning client, naturally)

I could go on, but frankly Mr Cruz will have to pay me if he wants any more of my good ideas...

Certainly makes me feel better about the fact I'm about to lose gold status.

SteveF Sep 29, 2016 9:44 am

That includes £1.80 for the water though. And probably 10p for the sugar...

When I Travel The World Sep 29, 2016 9:46 am

You don't need to request a chargeback. According to the poster above BA CS are offering 1000 avios per booking (about a tenner) or a refund if desired.
Just noticed , when you call BA to complain about this, they now have an automated press 1 feature to basically cut you out of the system and it says the representatives won't be able to offer any more information on the subject.

lol

clarkeysntfc Sep 29, 2016 9:46 am

I'm looking forwards to the state of the aircraft cabins if current cleaning standards are maintained.

All the rubbish generated by left behind packaging & airport purchased fast food will take some cleaning!

frandrake Sep 29, 2016 9:49 am

this is very sad. I love BA and I fly them as much as possible, but with this move they are not rewarding the loyalty of us frequent flyers in EU.

It is already difficult to keep status (I am CX Diamond, and in 7 months of intense EU travels I only got halfway through Silver...), but with this move it becomes useless to prefer BA against a Star Alliance or SkyTeam carrier. I might just get a PriorityPass card and that's it.

Very, very disappointed.

When I Travel The World Sep 29, 2016 9:49 am

So just to confirm, airlines can just take away things from an agreement that you made with them and paid for when you booked and get away with it ?

Petrus Sep 29, 2016 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27279595)
Was Mr vdP ever replaced by anyone?

No :(

loyaltypointschaser Sep 29, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc (Post 27279879)
I'm looking forwards to the state of the aircraft cabins if current cleaning standards are maintained.

All the rubbish generated by left behind packaging & airport purchased fast food will take some cleaning!

oh no.....current cleaning standard...it is already bad enough

KARFA Sep 29, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by southsidesilver (Post 27279893)
So just to confirm, airlines can just take away things from an agreement that you made with them and paid for when you booked and get away with it ?

The BA twitter team seem to think complimentary food and drinks was not included in the fare, and therefore nothing is due to those who booked before today for travel beyond 11 January.

loyaltypointschaser Sep 29, 2016 9:54 am

With this move, I won't be surprised if people start stuffing crips and soft drinks to the bag from the lounge..

crazy8534 Sep 29, 2016 9:55 am

Sorry if I missed it in the 438 posts so far today (!)- any changes to UK domestic breakfast?

rossmacd Sep 29, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 27279920)
The BA twitter team seem to think complimentary food and drinks was not included in the fare, and therefore nothing is due to those who booked before today for travel beyond 11 January.

Yes, the spiel/drivel they have been given by the Comms team is making all of this even more laughable.