FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

pvgman Oct 19, 2016 3:49 am

they paved the route for Vueling to take over all the LHR-BCN at times when the J feeders are not needed

Lioneye Oct 19, 2016 3:52 am

BA's onslaught against its customers will contine unabated. Those people moaning about BoB have to realise that they are not the demographic BA are targetting anymore. Any business you give them is a bonus.

T8191 Oct 19, 2016 5:44 am

RESULT :D

Dear Mrs T8191, .....
The food and drink options available on board will be fairly priced and will be comparable in price to airport outlets where we know many of our customers already purchase items on the way to their flight. We won’t be charging inflated prices like no-frills carriers.

As a gesture, please accept 1,000 Avios. The Avios have been added to your Executive Club account and can be used to purchase items on board short-haul flights from 11 January 2017.

We’re grateful you've taken the time to give us your feedback about our new catering offering, thanks again for getting in touch about this. We value your support as a Gold member of our Executive Club, and we look forward to welcoming you and Mr T8191 on board your flight in March. If I can help you with anything else please feel free to contact me directly.

Calchas Oct 19, 2016 5:47 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 27365555)
RESULT :D

I am astonished to hear that iWife could be booked into Y. Some mistake made by her booking agent? ;)

London_traveller Oct 19, 2016 6:02 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 27357091)
As we are now up to 39 pages on this, I apologise if this same question has been asked before - why are the alcoholic drinks so expensive? I can't claim to understand the specifics of UK taxation, but I would be surprised if alcohol on a plane is subject to the same taxes as beer and spirits on the ground.

If they are dead-set on not continuing to provide free drinks (which is such a differentiator for BA), then at least make them much cheaper. Do they really pay tax on drinks in the sky??

The cost to passengers of BoB food and drink bears no relation to the cost to BA of offering it. Just in the same way the cost of a flight ticket doesn't bear any relation to the cost to BA of you being on that flight. It's market economics at work - BA will charge the most they can possibly get away with for a particular product (some of which may make a loss).

Therefore the costs of BoB will be based on how much similar items cost on EasyJet, for example - and I assume market research - on how much people are prepared to pay for items before they reach a point where they stop buying at all.

One thing I am worried about is ba.com doesn't mention that free cups or plastic glasses are provided with the drinks. I don't want to be mixing my G&T in my mouth on the way down, minature of gin in one hand and can of tonic in the other :p

bmi goldenboy Oct 19, 2016 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 27358257)
A lot of the cost of alcohol in pubs is UK tax on beer, wine and spirits - my question is whether airlines have to pay that tax. If they are free from that tax, then yes the price charged looks like profiteering to me.

It may be that all of the BoB alcohol on board is UK duty paid - but I don't see how that works when, for example, the aircraft isn't in UK airspace when the product is purchased.

All the alcohol served in flight is held in a 3rd bonded warehouse and exempt from UK duty which is 37.5% for spirits at the moment I think although this varies dependant on the spirit and other alcohol type.

The enhancement would be real for me if I could buy a sandwich however taking away free drinks, hot, cold let alone alcoholic exposes it purely as a cost saving exercise for BA and an add on cost for regular travellers.

T8191 Oct 19, 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27365567)
I am astonished to hear that iWife could be booked into Y. Some mistake made by her booking agent? ;)

:D :D

It's a quick hop to LGW to get an EI to DUB before launching west with AA. Seemed silly to waste money on paid CE for 35-45 minutes. So, we now have 1,000 each to add to the 750 each we will get by flying S fares for half an hour or so.

Please excuse this temporary aberration. :cool:

Physci Oct 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27365567)

We haven't heard whether the "booking agent" made another mistake and booked himself into J :D

BA or bust Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by radui (Post 27356528)
For my first BOB to Munich in February I will bring plastic containers to collect sandwiches and chips from the lounge and a plastic bottles for the harrogate water to take on board - seems only fair.

Though I now only have one Y class booking flight left on BA s/h I too will be doing this.

I'll bet all the retailers in T5 must be planning their sales campaign already... to encourage passengers to BBYF (buy before you fly) rather than BoB!

Flyingturkey Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Probably discussed earlier but just came across it.

Comedy: "Are you contacting us about Short Haul Buy on Board Catering? Yes/No"

Is now one of the default options for the complaints forms!

kanderson1965 Oct 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingturkey (Post 27367413)
Probably discussed earlier but just came across it.

Comedy: "Are you contacting us about Short Haul Buy on Board Catering? Yes/No"

Is now one of the default options for the complaints forms!

Tick yes and it goes straight to delete.

T8191 Oct 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965 (Post 27367471)
Tick yes and it goes straight to delete.

hahaha ... worked for both of us. :D

And, yes, Flyingturkey, that was highlighted sever million posts ago, but not surprising you missed it. ;)

:D! Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I sent off the same short message from both my wife and myself and got exactly the same response as Uncle T. Wwell, it was about 1000 words long and I didn't bother to read it, except for the words "As a gesture, please accept 1,000 Avios."

ahmetdouas Oct 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Guys the only way this will 'hurt' BA profitability is if as many people as possible stop flying them ! Like a boycott.

Action, not words. BA has already made their decision and will not change it. If they suddenly see a drop in passengers and wonder why, it will be obvious.

If passenger numbers don't get worse, then BA will be laughing all the way to the bank!

DoctorCopper Oct 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Have just experienced a BoB flight on AB. Seemingly no takers judging by the time it took to wheel the trolley aft and forwards. That gave the cabin crew (2 of them in the front galley area) plenty of time to chat behind closed curtains for the majority of the flight time. Doc Copper.