FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793630-buy-board-implemented-ba-short-haul-opinions-concept.html)

wmaciej Oct 17, 2016 9:38 am

there are still unlimited benefits to flying British Airways
Can they name any?

ThatT1Feeling Oct 17, 2016 9:49 am

As we are now up to 39 pages on this, I apologise if this same question has been asked before - why are the alcoholic drinks so expensive? I can't claim to understand the specifics of UK taxation, but I would be surprised if alcohol on a plane is subject to the same taxes as beer and spirits on the ground.

If they are dead-set on not continuing to provide free drinks (which is such a differentiator for BA), then at least make them much cheaper. Do they really pay tax on drinks in the sky??

TabTraveller Oct 17, 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling (Post 27357091)
As we are now up to 39 pages on this, I apologise if this same question has been asked before - why are the alcoholic drinks so expensive? I can't claim to understand the specifics of UK taxation, but I would be surprised if alcohol on a plane is subject to the same taxes as beer and spirits on the ground.

If they are dead-set on not continuing to provide free drinks (which is such a differentiator for BA), then at least make them much cheaper. Do they really pay tax on drinks in the sky??

I don't know where you live but £6 for a 50ml spirit and mixer is pretty cheap where I'm from. They aren't running a student bar here...

layz Oct 17, 2016 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 27357180)
I don't know where you live but £6 for a 50ml spirit and mixer is pretty cheap where I'm from. They aren't running a student bar here...

Compared to the train it is more expensive, based on East Coast all the spirit and mixer options are under £5, beers are in full sized cans or 500ml bottles and are under £4. The wine/prosecco is the same price, but BA and East Coast use the same supplier for wine (or at least did as of last year, according to someone who works for their suppliers anyway).

I'm not keen on paying full price for small cans of beer, but in the end it's not the end of the world for a dom/band 1. The biggest loss is the hot food on band 4, whatever you're willing to pay they've not provided a hot option.

bafan Oct 17, 2016 11:53 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 27357180)

I think the point is that whilst they are charging 'London prices' BA doesn't have the same overheads as bars/clubs, so most of that £6 is pure profit...

TabTraveller Oct 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bafan (Post 27357613)
I think the point is that whilst they are charging 'London prices' BA doesn't have the same overheads as bars/clubs, so most of that £6 is pure profit...

No they aren't charging "London prices" - any half decent bar in london won't give much change from £10 for a spirit mixer. And it really won't be "pure profit". Running an airline has significantly higher overheads than running a bar. Yes I know passengers are "paying for it already" but to the same extent a bar is making "pure profit" on selling snacks because people are already in there buying drinks.

francismc Oct 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Well M&S cafe is £3.25 for a bacon roll. I'm guessing the extra cost on-board is for the "wear & tear" on the carpet ;)

TabTraveller Oct 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by francismc (Post 27357743)
Well M&S cafe is £3.25 for a bacon roll. I'm guessing the extra cost on-board is for the "wear & tear" on the carpet ;)

Silly me. Forgot that BA had turned into a charitable enterprise overnight.

Silver Fox Oct 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 27357780)
Silly me. Forgot that BA had turned into a charitable enterprise overnight.

Well it's funny you should say that, as we are still trying to track down the mysterious benefactor that was providing food and drinks for free, as it was never included in the price of the ticket. :D

orbitmic Oct 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller (Post 27357724)
No they aren't charging "London prices" - any half decent bar in london won't give much change from £10 for a spirit mixer. And it really won't be "pure profit". Running an airline has significantly higher overheads than running a bar. Yes I know passengers are "paying for it already" but to the same extent a bar is making "pure profit" on selling snacks because people are already in there buying drinks.

I don't really agree. London prices do not mean London bar prices because frankly the two are entirely different. Bar pays premises, bar staff, security staff, etc only for the purpose of selling drinks, and even train companies have to hire additional staff and dedicate additional space for it. By contrast, in a plane, you are merely using staff who has to be there anyway and are not paid anything additionally, in space that already exists, to sell something additional to passengers who have already paid for the seat.

Bar staff would also mix your drink not just pass you on a can. I guess the nearest equivalent would be snacks for purchase in cinemas etc. For what it's worth, even several London theatres will get you a G&T for £6!

ahmetdouas Oct 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Don't you see what you guys are doing here! By calling a 6 GBP G&T not so expensive, you are vindicating Senor Cruz's decision to charge for it in the first place.

For me, anything over 0.00 GBP is considered expensive, as I until this point, considered BA a full service airline, so paying anything for a G&T I find ridiculous, and will now only fly BA if it is actually cheaper than the competition (it never is), or use my Lloyds Bank Avios miles. My BAEC account has 50 avios on it, and since I never pay full price for BA tickets, will probably not earn any miles, all avios used will be from the Credit card, not the BAEC account.

YorkieFlyer Oct 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Will there be also be a fee to pay with my credit card for my g&t to munich unless I claim to be on the way home.....;)

orbitmic Oct 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer (Post 27358014)
Will there be also be a fee to pay with my credit card for my g&t to munich unless I claim to be on the way home.....;)

No credit card fee, and BA is currently looking at a generous package deal should you wish to purchase both a glass and a napkin to enjoy your G&T (rumour has it that the deal is that if you buy a full price plastic glass and a full price napkin, you will receive a free plastic stirrer).

A P Yu Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

There'll be a fee (of sorts) if it's a non UK card - in the form of any foreign currency transaction fees associated with your card.

headingwest Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 27357883)
For me, anything over 0.00 GBP is considered expensive, as I until this point, considered BA a full service airline, so paying anything for a G&T I find ridiculous, and will now only fly BA if it is actually cheaper than the competition (it never is)

This is exactly where I stand. Full-service airline prices for a low-cost service is definitely not acceptable to me.

The funny thing is, BA has been a few Euros cheaper for some of the flights that I've been looking at, but now when I consider what I'm getting - I say stuff you BA.

At the weekend I was playing with Google Flights and saw such cheap flights from Southampton with KLM and it made me wonder why so many people fly with BA from the South of England when they can avoid BA and LHR generally. I believe KLM still serve food on shorthaul too!