Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know if "summer 2017" for LCY and STN routes starts at the beginning of the IATA Summer season (IIRC 26 March 2017) or will it actually be what people associate with summer (e.g. June or July), or some random date between those?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Following that link came to this article: http://www.ieseinsight.com/doc.aspx?id=1326&ar=&idi=2

To be fair, he was probably correct, but probably didn't expect to be driving it.
It is quite amazing that Flyertalkers can manage to find all those amazing contradictions in discourse but that not a single journalist managed to spot them and confront Cr (I'm enhancing the uz to save some money) with them in any of the absurdly sympathetic interviews that he has been giving.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
It is quite amazing that Flyertalkers can manage to find all those amazing contradictions in discourse but that not a single journalist managed to spot them and confront Cr (I'm enhancing the uz to save some money) with them in any of the absurdly sympathetic interviews that he has been giving.
Do BA pay to advertise in said publications?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Do BA pay to advertise in said publications?
Indeed.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Not true. At time of writing you can also use the toilet.
Previously the toilet paper was complimentary, but following complaints about its quality we have partnered with M&S to offer better quality toilet paper for purchase. Those of you who don't wish to purchase should have picked up a complimentary copy of the i at the boarding gate (why do you think we offer them?!)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Same here.

I received a standard copy-and-paste reply to my original complaint, pushed back and then received 1,000 Avios for each Euro Traveller flight from LHR I have booked post January.
My first complaint received a standard cut and paste reply but after complaining again I received a £20 e-voucher. My husband's complaints have not even been answered.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Previously the toilet paper was complimentary, but following complaints about its quality we have partnered with M&S to offer better quality toilet paper for purchase. Those of you who don't wish to purchase should have picked up a complimentary copy of the i at the boarding gate (why do you think we offer them?!)
There's always the HighLife magazine.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hopefully at least with BOB there will be adequate stock.

Yesterday afternoon's JER-LGW had run out of gin and beer (other than Amstel Light) by the time I was served in Row 14.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Very helpful agent allowed me to cancel my BA holiday flight with full refund. Excellent service and no waiting on getting the call answered.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by headingwest
Until it is 'enhanced away' as a result of extensive research and it order to save weight... But hold on... even FR has in-flight magazine
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TPJ
Until it is 'enhanced away' as a result of extensive research and it order to save weight... But hold on... even FR has in-flight magazine
In fairness, I don't think it will be: they represent advertising income for all airlines including low cost. Even more so now that BA are progressively getting rid of newspapers and will presumably put the BoB menu in the magazine, thereby pushing the captive audience to open it more.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In fairness, I don't think it will be: they represent advertising income for all airlines including low cost. Even more so now that BA are progressively getting rid of newspapers and will presumably put the BoB menu in the magazine, thereby pushing the captive audience to open it more.
I'll be surprised if they put the BoB menu in the HighLife magazine. I think it's more likely that they'll do the same as Iberia and strategically stick it in front of the magazine in the seat pocket - in your face as it were.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
£2 for the Highlife magazine, anyone?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:24 am

I'll be surprised if they put the BoB menu in the HighLife magazine. I think it's more likely that they'll do the same as Iberia and strategically stick it in front of the magazine in the seat pocket and in your face as it were.
.. and boy did the prices in the IB magazine make my eyes water 2 weeks ago, especially with the drop in the £!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's already full of .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.