FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   "Inhibited" with emergency exit row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1793608-inhibited-emergency-exit-row.html)

BobbySteel Sep 28, 2016 10:37 pm

"Inhibited" with emergency exit row

Twice this week boarding was held up because my boarding pass caused "Inhibited" to pop up on the reader. Seemed easy enough to clear on the computer but certainly makes boarding all that much slower for everyone. The gate agent said it was merely due to emergency exit seat. Anyone else getting this or is something deeper going on with my account?

BA or bust Sep 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 27277793)
Twice this week boarding was held up because my boarding pass caused "Inhibited" to pop up on the reader. Seemed easy enough to clear on the computer but certainly makes boarding all that much slower for everyone. The gate agent said it was merely due to emergency exit seat. Anyone else getting this or is something deeper going on with my account?

Gate agent is right, just a visual check to ensure you are suitable for exit row.

On the other hand.... just because you aren't paranoid... doesn't mean they are not out to get you. :D

corporate-wage-slave Sep 29, 2016 12:31 am

This came in with FLY, the new dispatch system. You are most likely to encounter it if HBO and you don't use a BA operated lounge, since it may have been cleared down earlier than the gate in other scenarios.

A P Yu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

Its essential to check you haven't become disabled or got pregnant since you confirmed the same at check in.
Its based on customer feedback of course, and its for your benefit.

BobbySteel Sep 29, 2016 1:06 am

Great thanks. Sounds like lounge can clear then if I ask which is probably a sensible thing to do

MrMutton Sep 29, 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 27278106)
Great thanks. Sounds like lounge can clear then if I ask which is probably a sensible thing to do

Perhaps - but why should you have to ask them to do that to speed up boarding for their plane?! Surely the onus should be on the airline to sort it out.

I can confirm C-W-S's analysis above - happened to both my wife and I flying back from Nice on Sunday in the Exit Row (we had checked in online, HBO, non-BA Lounge) but not my Gran who checked in at the desk.

nux Sep 29, 2016 2:41 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 27278106)

It only takes a few extra seconds on boarding to be cleared, less time than it would take to ask the lounge agent about it. Why not just board as normal? :confused:

rembrandtuk Sep 29, 2016 2:44 am

My experience at Galleries First is that they are unable to clear the flag at the lounge and I had to do it at the gate. I hadn't asked, the same flag comes up when entering the lounge and the chap at the desk did his best to sort it out.

Cymro Sep 29, 2016 3:16 am

Only thing I'd add is to make sure that they don't clear it by declaring you not suitable... or 25B can be yours!

BobbySteel Sep 29, 2016 3:21 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 27278313)
It only takes a few extra seconds on boarding to be cleared, less time than it would take to ask the lounge agent about it. Why not just board as normal? :confused:

Long enough though for people behind to start tut-tutting and going around to the other agent. Maybe 15 seconds of fiddling around on their end.

rapidex Sep 29, 2016 3:22 am

I got booted out of my exit row a few weeks back,after online check in.Fortunately I managed to get it back at bag drop.

If this keeps happening I'm going to change my name to C-W-S.

tynmar Sep 29, 2016 3:32 am

better than "Inebriated"

I had a "beep" this weekend just gone flying to MAD. it was an A321 and the legroom was daft. 9A gets a ^ from me.

Said the obvious joke "I thought I was being moved forward to Club" only to be given the death stare :eek:

AAtticus Sep 29, 2016 3:36 am

Originally Posted by tynmar (Post 27278468)
I had a "beep" this weekend just gone flying to MAD. it was an A321 and the legroom was daft. 9A gets a ^ from me.

Said the obvious joke "I thought I was being moved forward to Club" only to be given the death stare :eek:

Smiles are buy-on-board only now.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 29, 2016 3:41 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 27278434)
Long enough though for people behind to start tut-tutting and going around to the other agent. Maybe 15 seconds of fiddling around on their end.

Well that surprises me. There's a bleep, they have to press a Function key to display the message, the tab key and then Return. If it takes 2 seconds something has gone wrong (or may be the gate agent is new). There can be multiple messages however, and each needs to be processed in sequence.

Some gate agents used BA's previous system for 20 years or more, which by the time it got ported to modern PCs became lightning fast in operation, and so unsurprisingly it may take a few years before we get to that level of fluidity.

ThatT1Feeling Sep 29, 2016 4:20 am

I'm always in exit rows for shorthaul, always now get the bleep at the gate, no longer get excited about a possible upgrade ( ;) ) and it's usually cleared within seconds. It's a sensible check in my opinion..

furryman Sep 29, 2016 5:14 am

Always get it in 2F on the 190s out of LCY.
Which normally makes me smile, considering the contortions one would have to go through to actually get to the emergancy exit.

corporate-wage-slave Sep 29, 2016 5:16 am

Originally Posted by furryman (Post 27278776)
Always get it in 2F on the 190s out of LCY.
Which normally makes me smile, considering the contortions one would have to go through to actually get to the emergancy exit.

It's a bit chilly in 2F, but the emergency exit isn't an issue there.

Globaliser Sep 29, 2016 5:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27278502)
There's a bleep, they have to press a Function key to display the message, the tab key and then Return. If it takes 2 seconds something has gone wrong (or may be the gate agent is new).

This is my experience, too.

Ditto Sep 29, 2016 6:07 am

Long enough though for people behind to start tut-tutting

:td: :td:

and going around to the other agent.

Do people have no patience any more?

f4monty Sep 29, 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27278502)
Well that surprises me. There's a bleep, they have to press a Function key to display the message, the tab key and then Return. If it takes 2 seconds something has gone wrong (or may be the gate agent is new). There can be multiple messages however, and each needs to be processed in sequence.

Some gate agents used BA's previous system for 20 years or more, which by the time it got ported to modern PCs became lightning fast in operation, and so unsurprisingly it may take a few years before we get to that level of fluidity.

Flying home from Bari in the summer, we had all this beeping going on with both myself and the other half being exit row. The staff seemed utterly perplexed by the sound, as if they'd never heard a beep or used a computer before. Cut to lots of time taken staring at screens, whispering and so on. It was certainly a lot longer than a few seconds. Check-in had taken forever leaving precious little time for booze consumption in the airport and then the actual boarding took an absolute eternity. It would've been quicker to walk back to Gatwick while dragging a fully laden A320 behind us.

aidy Sep 29, 2016 1:15 pm

I had that a few weeks ago and was curious... at least I know now for my next trips

furryman Sep 29, 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27278783)
It's a bit chilly in 2F, but the emergency exit isn't an issue there.

LOL - 2D of course!

HIDDY Sep 29, 2016 6:27 pm

A 15 second wait and they were tut-tutting?

Thank God I don't fly much. :D