Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with 1 year old - CW seating + Tips & Tricks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat

Hi All,
My wife and I are travelling with our 1yo to Chicago & back on BA295/294 in CW. It looks like the flight is on a super Hi J 747. Whilst she is generally great on flights I don't want to risk subjecting the upper deck to a noisy trip. Of the other bassinet options are there any suggestion between row 14, 20 and 22?

On previous trips BA have forgotten to load the cot / car seat, any idea how to prevent this?!

Any tips for a peaceful flight much appreciated!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
first off - it's going above & beyond, but very considerate of you to skip the upper deck: people do choose the upper deck for a bit of peace and quiet, which makes the downside risk of an in-flight screaming fit a little higher for you...probably more relaxing all round on the lower deck, with more room to walk around and have an explore if she gets bored!

I don't have a major view on the other seats - for the car seat / cot: I would check with the crew on boarding to make sure the issue is addressed / spotted before the doors close - when there is at least *something* you can ask them to do about it - may also be worth a quick check at the customer service desk in the lounge: a quick call down to the gate might save problems later, and if you give them fair warning they may just make sure they have it to avoid the delay...

People have had issues with the bassinet seat not being loaded recently - which is frankly ridiculous. Put your foot down.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:52 am

with an infant, I would favour a middle pair of seats. Gives you and your family a nicely enclosed area. Bring a playmat/rug to put down on the filthy floor.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Thanks ratypus, I think you are right and the lower deck is better all round!

The crew always seem genuinely surprised when we board with an infant, after takeoff we then spend around an hour while the crew run around playing "find the bassinet". Why it isn't near the bulkhead / well documented / something they can check when an infant is on the manifest I don't know. Good to see the iPads being put to good use.

The low point so far was the lack of bassinet for an F flight back from HND. BA gave us some Avios though which were of course brilliant for putting our daughter to sleep in.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
I flew with my 1 y.o. daughter on the a380 LHR-YVR-LHR in CW. We took the middle pair at the back of the cabin, and they were definitely the best seats for a baby. She couldn’t sleep in the bouncy chair thing that gets strapped into the bassinet position at ALL though. It put her up at standing eye height so every time a passenger or crew walked past she would look at them and not want to sleep. She ended up sleeping on me in the end. Not the most comfortable for anyone!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC
We had been on the A380 in the middle seats with our then 1.5yrs old. So I would definetly recommend row20 here. It's nice to have your own seperate space, nobody you have to climb over.

We did not use the bassinet, but had a spare seat next to us outbound and I shared the seat with him inbound. Even sharing was pretty uncomfortable for me, he slept all flight (after some screaming while waiting 1hr in the plane).

If you get lucky and have a spare seat next to you, it is great in the middle for one of the parents and the little on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.