Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
our first domestic flights since the change earlier this month, aren't till March either, but will give it a go and see what they say. They can only say no, I suppose.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Our impending DUB-PHL-PHX in I/A/A/I [originally] was booked last August. Now, after squillions of terminal, flight number, timing and booking class changes, it's predictably I/D/D/I.

CBA to chase the TP difference, though - still enough to renew BAEC status for another year
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
should added that we had 6 or 7 flights in DOM a day or so before the change and all were credited the old way.

Just in case someone else has gotten the wrong TP just around the time of the change.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have one of those AA RTM-ORD-CDG fares coming up in April. Affected portion of the trip was AUS-DFW-ORD, originally booked in A, now in D. Was 60+60 TPs now 40+40 TPs.

After the obligatory schedule changes AA agreed to reroute on AUS-DFW-LAX-ORD

Original TPs restored
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I flew on the day the changes took place, and called the GGL line upon my return to ask about the extra 20 TPs.

They aren't essential, but I was sat on the M25 with nothing to do, so made sense to try and obtain the extra credit.

The only response from the GGL line, was that they would need to speak to AA. The change was implemented by AA, and thus it was for AA to confirm the position.

Fast forward to last Thursday, and an email popped in to say AA wouldn't change their position.

Now, for 20 TPs I'm not worried, but for those on TP runs, I can understand the major loss.

Looks like AA are standing firm though - and personally, I wasn't expecting them not to.

M
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The T&Cs do of course allow such changes:

"8.2. British Airways may, from time to time, alter the rules for earning Tier Points (for example, by altering eligible flights or fares or the number of Tier Points earned for specific Sectors). Members will be notified in advance of any changes.".
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The T&Cs do of course allow such changes:

"8.2. British Airways may, from time to time, alter the rules for earning Tier Points (for example, by altering eligible flights or fares or the number of Tier Points earned for specific Sectors). Members will be notified in advance of any changes.".
And when were members notified? I don't remember receiving any notification of this.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by strichener
And when were members notified? I don't remember receiving any notification of this.
Wasn't it posted on BA.com several months ago? In any event, BA have changed nothing, AA have reclassified their fare codes.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I flew on the day the changes took place, and called the GGL line upon my return to ask about the extra 20 TPs.

They aren't essential, but I was sat on the M25 with nothing to do, so made sense to try and obtain the extra credit.

The only response from the GGL line, was that they would need to speak to AA. The change was implemented by AA, and thus it was for AA to confirm the position.

Fast forward to last Thursday, and an email popped in to say AA wouldn't change their position.

Now, for 20 TPs I'm not worried, but for those on TP runs, I can understand the major loss.

Looks like AA are standing firm though - and personally, I wasn't expecting them not to.

M
Had you booked prior to the changes? I have one effected itinerary with three domestic sectors. All short so its only a delta of 60 TPs. Nice to have but probably not need to have.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:41 am

Wasn't it posted on BA.com several months ago? In any event, BA have changed nothing, AA have reclassified their fare codes.
I agree that it is AA that has changed and not BA. Therefore the BA clause is irrelevant and the original tier points should be awarded for those that booked prior to the change.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by strichener
I agree that it is AA that has changed and not BA. Therefore the BA clause is irrelevant and the original tier points should be awarded for those that booked prior to the change.
On what legal basis? The BA TP calculator has always indicated that J, D, I and R fare classes on AA will earn 40 or 140 TPs.

You purchased a ticket in the first class cabin on AA and that is the class in which you will travel. It appears AA have already made a very firm decision on this and it will not be awarding F/A fare TPs for a J/D/I/R fare itinerary.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On what legal basis? The BA TP calculator has always indicated that J, D, I and R fare classes on AA will earn 40 or 140 TPs.

You purchased a ticket in the first class cabin on AA and that is the class in which you will travel. It appears AA have already made a very firm decision on this and it will not be awarding F/A fare TPs for a J/D/I/R fare itinerary.
Do AA have any control over TP issuance? Avios, maybe, since they have to buy them. But TPs are an internal BAEC matter.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
Do AA have any control over TP issuance? Avios, maybe, since they have to buy them. But TPs are an internal BAEC matter.
I'm very confused myself when I see that assertion or inference come up.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
We do not know what the contractual position is between oneworld airlines and the earning of qualifying mileage credit. There may or may not be a price attached to 'qualifying miles' but whether there is or not doesn't affect the rules for passenger earning by contracting airlines. What we do know, from what has been posted in this topic and others about downgrades/upgrades on AA, is that BA have routinely sent the request for higher rate TPs back to AA for them to 'award'. A great many of these requests have been refused by AA and consequently BA have only credited the lower amount based on the fare code data given to them by AA.

In the current situation, AA have amended their fare codes to properly reflect the actual class of service offered on a particular route. They send the data to BA for processing and BA award the TPs at the appropriate level based on the fare codes.

The dilemma for those who are aggrieved by the change is to establish a remedy and basis in law to get the TPs they believe they should earn for the flights taken under the new fare codes.

This is a bit of a conundrum and one that will be incredibly difficult to resolve outside of AA/BA discretion.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a previous beneficiary of AA's "Domestic First over 2000 nm", I always wondered why on Earth they did that. Our 2000+ sectors in 'First' have been sublimely sub-par in terms of comfort and service, and yet accruing 210 TP ... whereas the ex-DUB TATL in 'Business' in an infintely better seat/environment/service only accrued 140 TP for a longer flight. It was a massive anomoly which logically had to go ... sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.