Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:22 am

Speculation alert:

Would BA give Shorthaul+ TPs on the longer business sectors, like it does for routes like HEL and some of the other longer leisure routes?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Speculation alert:

Would BA give Shorthaul+ TPs on the longer business sectors, like it does for routes like HEL and some of the other longer leisure routes?
Very unlikely. Shorthaul+ only applies to BA flights from LHR and LGW, and also AY flights from MAN and EDI because of the route agreement for UK-HEL.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Very unlikely. Shorthaul+ only applies to BA flights from LHR and LGW, and also AY flights from MAN and EDI because of the route agreement for UK-HEL.
Very much agree. But it is not outwith the realms of possibility?

If this did happen, then I would suspect DFW and ORD would become much more popular for TP runners

As I said, purely speculation of course
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Very much agree. But it is not outwith the realms of possibility?

If this did happen, then I would suspect DFW and ORD would become much more popular for TP runners

As I said, purely speculation of course
Well everything is within the realms of possibility.

As noted, very unlikely since BA do not do it for any non U.K. routes or other carriers (apart from the noted AY exception).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Percy Pig
What does
Ticket reissuance is required since we are unable to revalidate the flight segment
mean in english? That existing bookings will be re-issued in the new cabin code?
Yes that is what it means. The existing booking class codes will cease to exist on these flights on the implementation date [in fact some of them will have a new meaning, "premium economy"] so it will make no sense for existing bookings to retain the old booking codes.

The quote is a technical description of how that change is to be made on existing air tickets.

If you want to change an air ticket, you have two options. Either a revalidation, or a reissue. [Ignoring an exchange, which is essentially the same as a reissue.]

A revalidation allows some changes to be made to an existing ticket, and for the ticket number to remain the same. In the days of paper tickets, this was established through a special sticker which was stuck on top of the old information to change it. The ticket had to be "revalidated" to prove it was still a valid ticket despite being defaced.

With a reissue, the passenger gives the old ticket back to the airline (or travel agent) and they throw it away. She gets a totally new ticket back. This requires more work by the airline, but anything at all can be changed during the reissue.

With electronic ticketing, the same concept applies, but now it happens in a database rather than with a real piece of paper.

Here AA is saying that for technical reasons it is unable to accomplish this booking class change by revalidating tickets; everyone affected will have to receive replacement e-tickets.

In cases where AA was not the issuing carrier, the issuing carrier will have to make the change. If you have AA-coded flights on BA-issued bookings, it will be important to keep an eye on whether your BA tickets are properly reissued during the changeover period.

Last edited by Calchas; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:52 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL
One interesting thing that will likely come out of this, of course, is that using the BA codeshares becomes more useful from an Avios earning perspective given they earn more than the equivalent buckets on AA codes.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes that is what it means.....
Thank you Calchas for that very helpful and easy to understand explanation. ^ to you but to AA!

The upshot of this is that I will now be 10TPs short of silver whereas I would have made it easily under the old earnings rate!

I guess I'll start looking for a 10TP return...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Hopefully they won't change them before 8th December when I'm home from my trip.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is for flights in 2017. So they might change your 2017 flights now, but reservations for flights in 2016 won't be affected (as far as I understand from this information).

Changes to the cabin code and inventory class only impact reservations booked in First (F) class on U.S. 50 domestic flights operated with two-cabin aircraft for travel beginning in early 2017
There will be a changeover day when F, A, P becomes J, D, I. Reservations for flights occurring on that day, and days after that, will be changed.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:48 am

Obviously the key question now is whether pax whose bookings are changed will be able to get ORC. I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Obviously the key question now is whether pax whose bookings are changed will be able to get ORC. I wouldn't bet on it.
ORC only applies for involuntary reroutes so wouldn't cover this.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

14.6. Where a Member is involuntarily re-routed by British Airways onto another carrier, and the original flight on which the Member was booked would have qualified for Avios points, the Member may still claim such Avios points online at ba.com. British Airways will endeavour to ensure the Member's account is credited with the appropriate Avios points however it may be necessary for details of the Member's itinerary, including the retained segment of the boarding pass and passenger receipts to be sent to the Member's local service centre in order to claim any Avios points credit.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
It is for flights in 2017. So they might change your 2017 flights now, but reservations for flights in 2016 won't be affected (as far as I understand from this information).
I'd agree-- and great explanations, btw!

The date in early 2017 that is referred to as "the effective travel date" will be Mid-Feb from everything I've seen-- I think the 18th or something like that (I posted the date before I think.)-- and am only assuming it hasn't changed.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
-Ticket reissuance is required since we are unable to revalidate the flight segment

After the schedule change, all domestic two-cabin bookings...
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If it's being called a "schedule change" I wonder if that would permit a cancellation/refund without penalty or a free re-route?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Without wishing to veer too far OT, today has been rather frustrating.

In the past, even minor schedule changes have allowed the AAgents to majorly restructure my trip.

But this time, no dice. Apparently (this from the friendliest of the 3 I tried in quick succession) they have had orders from on high to strictly apply the rules from now on.

Goodness me, I could end up flying to US destinations purely because I want to go there
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:07 pm
Suspended

This will load with the Nov 12 schedule change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.