Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:28 am
Suspended

Somehow I missed it originally, but it states "for travel Jan 11th 2017 and beyond."
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka

LAX/MIA might be problematic but then it's only one daily service operated by a 77W (3 cabin service).

Well, my upcoming LAX-MIA booked this week on AA as part of a D-class TATL booked into the F bucket anyway. Perhaps that partially explains how AA may handle this. (Just as the European part on BA booked into the J bucket for CE on the same ticket)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Somehow I missed it originally, but it states "for travel Jan 11th 2017 and beyond."
So with the "scheduled change", am I allowed to cancel the ticket?

I have quite a few flights booked, with new earning, it will decrease 840 TPs. Most importantly, I will rather fly jfk-lax than clt lax
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
So with the "scheduled change", am I allowed to cancel the ticket?

I have quite a few flights booked, with new earning, it will decrease 840 TPs. Most importantly, I will rather fly jfk-lax than clt lax
By usual, general, AA schedule change guidelines/rules, and to my understanding, no-- there has to be a defined delay brought on by the change -- 90 minutes I believe.

In fact, AA's schedule change file specifically and explicitly does not consider a change to booking class a schedule change, IIRC.

ALL THAT SAID, this is a highly unique situation and I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they might become aware of the issue (my personal bet is that they are not, presently, just my personal speculation) and make such accommodations for these reasons. But, again, to my understanding, definitely not under current rules.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
So to summarise my current understanding:

1. All AA domestic sectors currently booked into F, A or P will be rebooked into a business class bucket and the underlying ticket re-issued
2. The mechanism for this will be the Nov schedule change
3. It will affect flights from mid-Jan 2017
4. Nobody knows how BAEC will react

Do I have that about right ?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Sounds about right
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Then from a purely selfish point of view, not too bothered as my Dec PTY run will just squeak through, and my direction of work travel is anyway going to be strongly East for the next year or two
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
By usual, general, AA schedule change guidelines/rules, and to my understanding, no-- there has to be a defined delay brought on by the change -- 90 minutes I believe.

In fact, AA's schedule change file specifically and explicitly does not consider a change to booking class a schedule change, IIRC.

ALL THAT SAID, this is a highly unique situation and I wouldn't find it hard to believe that they might become aware of the issue (my personal bet is that they are not, presently, just my personal speculation) and make such accommodations for these reasons. But, again, to my understanding, definitely not under current rules.
Thank You, Jon. What about ORC possibility ?? for BA, not AA (since no difference to aa)
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Thank You, Jon. What about ORC possibility ?? for BA, not AA (since no difference to aa)
See here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27337152-post176.html

ORC only applies for involuntary reroutes so wouldn't cover this.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
See here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27337152-post176.html

ORC only applies for involuntary reroutes so wouldn't cover this.
I think what we'd be hoping for is 'goodwill gesture' ORC as was given in respect of partner bookings made before the earnings changes last year.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think what we'd be hoping for is 'goodwill gesture' ORC as was given in respect of partner bookings made before the earnings changes last year.
Well I guess it is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. BA are not really in a "giving" mood atm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I wonder how this is all going to work. I don't mind losing on most domestics, but I have a few trips with A on transcontinental JFKLAX on despite TATL in I, so hope it sticks, otherwise it would be a downgrade for me, and given as I followed the rules to the letter at the time of booking I would not be happy about it.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks for the info JonNYC - way ahead of the official announcement as usual!

Luckily for me...I'm flying MIA-JFK in F on the 11th January!

I can live with 40TPs opposed to 60TPs, but it will be interesting to see whether the BA website is updated for the change.

I'll wait until AA send out their 'Changes' email, and will then call up to see if they can do anything for me - unlikely, and I'm not sure what I'd be expecting, but they do tend to be quite amenable on the times I've called up.

M
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
...but it will be interesting to see whether the BA website is updated for the change....
Interestingly, I've just tried to look up 'collecting with American Airlines' in the partner section of the 'collecting avios and tier points on flights' and the link is dead; it doesn't go anywhere. Same for all the other oneworld partners as well. Maybe it's yet another website failing but could BA be ahead of the game and updating the earning categories?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
Interestingly, I've just tried to look up 'collecting with American Airlines' in the partner section of the 'collecting avios and tier points on flights' and the link is dead; it doesn't go anywhere. Same for all the other oneworld partners as well. Maybe it's yet another website failing but could BA be ahead of the game and updating the earning categories?
Works or me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.