Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
Even with today’s confirmation by AA, we are not any closer to knowing what will happen to future BAEC earning on AA’s Domestic First Class. It is possible there won’t be any change at all.
I agree. I can imagine 4 scenarios:

1) nothing changes;
2) earnings reduce, redemptions do not change;
3) earnings and redemptions both reduce;
4) BAEC uses the change as a pretext for a larger overhaul with more negative consequences.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by orbitmic

1) nothing changes;
4) BAEC uses the change as a pretext for a larger overhaul with more negative consequences.
With 4) being the most likley, I fear.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:57 am

1) nothing changes;
I think (3) is most likely but don't discount (2) or (4).

I think (1) is extremely unlikely, not least because it would be very odd to have domestic J/D/I class earn business TPs if on BA codes (as they currently do) but first TPs on AA codes (as they currently don't).

Remember some non-transcon domestics already book into J/D/I on AA codes (usually if they share a flight number with a TATL) and they currently earn as J. So BAEC would actually have to change that status quo in order to maintain the wider status quo.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
This.

Yes it's dire to look at the exchange rate and see we're getting 1.2...

However, on a notional £10k spend over 2 weeks.
£5k is air fare
£2.5k is hotel
£2.5k is eating, drinking & entertainment.

The air fare is priced in GBP, so that's fixed.

If you can trim $40 a night off your hotel costs then you're making good progress. Just staying at the airport on the first night can achieve a lot of this.

Then shelve one blow out meal.

You're going to be pretty close to square.
Looks good in theory but having spent the past 2 weeks on a US holiday I'm finding the reality rather more demanding. We've severely restricted non essential spending and, as we're in fully equipped condo, have eaten out very little. Over many years of visiting costs in general have risen more or less continuously but the impact of the current exchange rate is something that we can't really mitigate.

Being more optimistic, I've seen the Pound recover to more reasonable levels many times that I haven't completely given up on some sort of recovery.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

1) nothing changes;
1) Very doubtful IMO
2) Hopefully not and I see as unlikely
3) Most likely
4) My greatest fear and something that certainly can't be ruled out
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by xenole

That said, been looking at PHL for a night. Would normally stay at somewhere like the Hampton and they want £134ish for the night I want. I can stay at a La Quinta for nearly half that.
Having stayed at the PHL Hampton a couple of weeks ago I'd avoid although I did manage to trigger the 100% satisfaction guarantee clause. That said, I'm still waiting for the refund.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Oct 13, 2016 at 5:15 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I used to find Hampton fine, but since the Hilton takeover apparently things have gone downhill. I stayed in the SFO one in May. It was dreadul and cost me about £140!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I used to find Hampton fine, but since the Hilton takeover apparently things have gone downhill. I stayed in the SFO one in May. It was dreadul and cost me about £140!
I've stayed at a few in the DC area for £50-£100 a night (higher end around the time of the Marine Corps marathon). Like their similar style and the free breakfast. Affordable when stopping over or heading down the east coast.

Now I can't seem to find any cheap ones now for my November travels.
£180 at PHL Vs. £155 for the Marriott that's connected to the airport.

Most seem to be from £130-£200 now (well except Panama City- that's around £50).

If I'm staying 7 hours overnight at an airport during a TP run, I'm not after luxury and if I can get away with it, don't want to be paying top dollar for a standard "we know you're only here for the night so why should we bother" sort of place.
Could possibly be cheaper to rent a car for a few days whilst doing TP runs that involve stopping over at the same place, park it in a large free hotel car park and use that to sleep in (have left my car at the Tyson's Corner Hilton in Washington DC before as I wasn't going to pay $30+ a night to park it in the city where I was staying. Metro trip up to it, and straight onto the main roads / highways / interstate from there).

As for changes in TP earning, I'll suck it up and/or look at various routings and if I decide to do 2 runs in a year instead of 1 as a top up, I can spare a few days extra. Enjoy flying so some more planes to fly on is good

From earlier, it's the exchange rate that's more of a problem at present.
Not planning on looking at anything until December at the earliest as I've got a holiday later this month to get out of the way first and don't want to make plans this side of my TP year.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 13, 2016 at 5:42 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by xenole
I've stayed at a few in the DC area for £50-£100 a night (higher end around the time of the Marine Corps marathon). Like their similar style and the free breakfast. Affordable when stopping over or heading down the east coast.
That's why I picked it - they have always been pretty reliable in the past. However, at this one some doors had tape over them and it was in a really sorry state. The breakfast on the other hand was normal Hampton Inn fare and definitely the best bit!

Sorry - gone a bit OT here.

Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jock
I should be disappointed about this news..but since the pound is worth so little against the dollar just now...I won't be heading to USA anytime soon. I wonder if non business travellers are starting to think the same??
Most my USA trips are to Vegas. Hotel, food etc normally comped so will just adjust my bets accordingly.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Most my USA trips are to Vegas. Hotel, food etc normally comped so will just adjust my bets accordingly.
As in, bet more $ so you win more $, right?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I suspect the comps will likely be adjusted accordingly too!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
No hard evidence but the vibes suggest airlines are having a tough time, so less likely that they will reduce their frequent flyer benefits.

Will watch what AA do very carefully as I have 7 AA domestic F flights booked from Jan to Apr next year. A reduction of 490 TPs will be a big hit for me and put BAs short haul catering changes into the shade.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Blue :(
I'v got 4 AA F flights next year, My full trip will get me 600 point at the moment. But I will
be 80 points short if it dose change.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rubecula
...Will watch what AA do very carefully as I have 7 AA domestic F flights booked from Jan to Apr next year...
As best as I can tell-- and as others here have pointed out-- I don't think there are really any remaining question marks about what AA will do, nor when, really. Rather how/if BAEC changes will take place based on same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.