Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access before status updates?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Lounge access before status updates?

Hi all,
I will be flying to the States later in the year and that flight will take me to silver. I know it takes a few days (week?) to change my status from bronze to silver from the info on this board. My question is, I have an internal flight with AA 2 days after my silver making BA one and I was wondering if I would be able to access the lounge?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
If your status hasn't updated then no you won't.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:58 pm

I think 2 days would be pushing it in normal circumstances. It takes about 24 hours for your first flight to credit, then 2-3 days after that for your account to update to Silver.

You can ask at the Lounge Reception, but I would expect a polite no.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think had this been a BA lounge before a BA flight it is just possible that it could be done. But as it is an AA flight/lounge I don't think there is any possibility unfortunately.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
FWIW, the status updates have got quicker in the last 6 months or so - people I know have had theirs update the next day after the TPs post. Whilst my original silver and gold qualifications took 3 days from TPs posting.

For reference, in the BA world this is not a possibility in T5, as lounge agents are not allowed to let anyone in without scanning their BP, due to LHR fire regulations, conformance etc. BA outstations are mostly fine if the TPs have posted and you can show them the app which will say 'Silver achieved' in the TPs section even though the app/BP/etc will still show you as bronze.

As KARFA says, AA I doubt there's any chance.

Best option is probably to wait and see, and if your status does update before you go airside, and you've OLCI'd, print a paper BP at the airport to use for the lounge.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Great advice as always. Thank you everyone.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
These days the status is updated about 24 hours after the flights are credited and the welcome package is dispatched about 2 workdays after the status was updated.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drhandsome
These days the status is updated about 24 hours after the flights are credited and the welcome package is dispatched about 2 workdays after the status was updated.
Thank you for your reply. Hopefully mine will post quickly.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level
Originally Posted by drhandsome
Yes, I went silver to gold this week. Time line was flew Sunday evening, points posted about 0900BST Tuesday, status updated around 0530BST Wednesday and the card landed on my doormat on the Saturday morning which is a lot better than it used to be. I was even impressed that I had a flight on the Wednesday evening that I had already checked in for before the status change processed and the status printed correctly on the BP at checkin without prompting.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
On returning from an ex EU Hawaii TP run I had the positioning flight in Economy. The TP's and avios had posted but the status hadnt updated. At first I was refused at the desk but asked them to check on the system and was then allowed in
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
In the old days you could ask BA to fax the lounge with your new status.

Today the problem is more the speed with which the flights credit than the status change process. Are the flights BA or partner operated, as that could mKe a hige difference to how quickly they post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.