Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My TP run nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (blue), HHonors (gold), Marriot (gold), Hertz/ Avis (PC)
My TP run nightmare

it all started so well...
Planned route was LHR-LAX-SFO-CLT-PHL-DFW-LAX-HNL-LAX-LHR (LHR/LAX rtn is 1 booking, everything else is book #2 - all 1st)

LHR-LAX - nice flight (A380)
LAX-SFO - very nice, new plane
Work
SFO-CLT - red-eye but fine
CLT-PHL - Reroute as this is no longer available (reroute is CLT-DFW), not a huge problem as I have enough with the rest of the trip to requalify plus I figure I can just claim for original route
DFW-LAX - Delay, delay, deplane. ..... No possible routing can get me LAX-HNL-LAX before my LAX-LHR.

Basically my run is screwed as I can't adjust the flight home, so a complete waste. Gutted doesn't even cover it! So now I'm waiting for my replaced DFW-LAX, I'll incur an additional hotel & then fly home tomorrow. sigh.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Just out of curiosity but what was your strategy if the HNL - LAX flight was delayed or cancelled leading you to miss your LAX - LHR flight home?

What flights were you booked on from DFW - LAX - HNL?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
How about getting them to route you HNL-NRT-LHR?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alvintc
it all started so well...
Planned route was LHR-LAX-SFO-CLT-PHL-DFW-LAX-HNL-LAX-LHR (LHR/LAX rtn is 1 booking, everything else is book #2 - all 1st)

Basically my run is screwed .
Well I feel sorry for you for the wasted time/ money, but I also feel if you need to do that many flights in First to retain Gold then it shouldn't be important whether you are Gold or not, because you ordinarily don't travel too much.

Status benefits are only important if you travel regularly, and even then they're not important if you are travelling in J or F.

So long as you are travelling in the top cabin (or J internationally if F all the time isn't a possibility) then why worry about status, cos you aren't travelling enough for it to be important.

And if you need that many F flights to retain Gold you really aren't travelling enough.

On the times you are at the airport, just go to the J lounge, or heaven forbid, just sitting at a bar at the airport.

If you make sure you travel J or F when you do fly, status is not important.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:11 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by QF Lad
If you make sure you travel J or F when you do fly, status is not important.
Friendly reminder that BA charges for seat assignment. even if you fly in Business. Only status passengers (plus full fare tickets holders) are exempt. So - while status is not so important on QF (just referring to your profile) - it matters on BA (and even for QF - Qantas Clubs are fairly mediocre - as opposite to amazing F-class lounges).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Friendly reminder that BA charges for seat assignment. even if you fly in Business. Only status passengers (plus full fare tickets holders) are exempt. So - while status is not so important on QF (just referring to your profile) - it matters on BA (and even for QF - Qantas Clubs are fairly mediocre - as opposite to amazing F-class lounges).
No seating charges in F which QF Lad referred to. As for J, seat charges can be pricey, but the idea of spending £1k+ on flights simply to earn TPs just to avoid paying the odd £80 for seat assignment seems perverse.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sympathy the FT way. Sorry OP....
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Won't AA preserve connections even on separate PNRs?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
No seating charges in F which QF Lad referred to. As for J, seat charges can be pricey, but the idea of spending £1k+ on flights simply to earn TPs just to avoid paying the odd £80 for seat assignment seems perverse.
Isn't that the entire logic of TP runs debunked. If you fly frequently you get status, if you don't why do you need status, hence why fly just to achieve statuis. It does seem rather circular, but then many do it so it obviously has appeal to some.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Won't AA preserve connections even on separate PNRs?
Normally they will (perhaps the OP had other commitments on the return to UK sectors) and also they tend to be very flexible on rebooking options generally. Moreover the OP will normally get a decent refund on "impossible to do" sectors due to irrops. This normally comes as flight credit note, a somewhat old fashioned paper ticket sent to the address on the ticket, which can then be exchanged for another AA booking at any AA staffed airport such as T3 (reasonably easy) or via posting back to the USA (somewhat clunky process).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by dougzz
Isn't that the entire logic of TP runs debunked. If you fly frequently you get status, if you don't why do you need status, hence why fly just to achieve statuis. It does seem rather circular, but then many do it so it obviously has appeal to some.
I'm not sure there ever was much logic in TP runs and certainly not for gold. Silver is most definitely the sweet spot in terms of benefits vs effort to attain it. I can understand the desire to do a TP run if you are a few points short of a tier but not some mega trek around the US which suggests the OP is a long way from the status he is hunting for.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
People also need to consider that others enjoy flying. They will happily spend £1500 for 5-7 days trekking round the US whereas others will spend £1500 for a week of skiing in the alps.

Each to their own.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
Of course it appeals to some.

Sure if you are just below and had to do a quick dash to the continent I might do it.

But having to do 9 first class flights to retain Gold does seem rather extreme.

I can understand the logic of it all. I used to fly non-stop with Qantas and Oneworld.

But after I moved to a role that required less travel, it all just stopped being so important. It never cross my mind, for example, to do 9 first class flights to retain status a Gold card, or in my example the QF Platinum card.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:16 am

Humans make emotional decisions for logical reasons.

Lots of people want status and find ways to sell it to themselves and/or friends and family. But most of the common reasons don't bear simple scrutiny.

I don't think it matters. If people want to get status and can afford the time and money, good luck to them. So what if they rarely use the perks? It's no-one else's business.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by QF Lad
Of course it appeals to some.

Sure if you are just below and had to do a quick dash to the continent I might do it.

But having to do 9 first class flights to retain Gold does seem rather extreme.

I can understand the logic of it all. I used to fly non-stop with Qantas and Oneworld.

But after I moved to a role that required less travel, it all just stopped being so important. It never cross my mind, for example, to do 9 first class flights to retain status a Gold card, or in my example the QF Platinum card.
If it's a cheap fare it maked perfect sense if your company only pays for your other 30 flights in economy and you have some leisure flights. With Gold you can then ejoy Seat selection, check in, fast track, lounge etc...
After all this is FT....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.