FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Crew&Management Gossip [New route LHR-TPE-PER] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1792338-crew-management-gossip-new-route-lhr-tpe-per.html)

nufnuf77 Sep 22, 2016 5:00 am

Crew&Management Gossip [New route LHR-TPE-PER]

I have now had this suggested from 2 different sources (one crew member and one management analyst) that BA are looking at expanding into Asia and that the next destination should be TPE, with a tag-along PER, once daily.

Apparently TPE would not have enough traffic, so PER will deliver some through traffic on LHR-TPE-PER. Also, the plan is to use 787-1000 on this route, but might have to use something else before those beauties are delivered in early 2019.

ianfly Sep 22, 2016 5:03 am

I hope this is true! I have been waiting for BA to start flying to Perth again and Taipei is a really nice city. I love the night markets

Castle25 Sep 22, 2016 5:09 am

Mrs Castle would like this too as she finds it a pain having to get off at HKG

Cymro Sep 22, 2016 5:11 am

Not sure that you'd be able to stay on the plane in TPE - can you do that in SIN to SYD?

Presumably MH has the KUL-PER market sewn up; otherwise LHR-KUL-PER would be 1k miles shorter than LHR-TPE-PER.

sxc Sep 22, 2016 5:15 am

I can't imagine that PER-TPE would have enough traffic in itself. So that means they plan to fly semi full planes between these cities?

nufnuf77 Sep 22, 2016 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Cymro (Post 27246652)
Not sure that you'd be able to stay on the plane in TPE - can you do that in SIN to SYD?

Presumably MH has the KUL-PER market sewn up; otherwise LHR-KUL-PER would be 1k miles shorter than LHR-TPE-PER.

I understand what BA is after is entering TPE market, as they see big growth potential there and are adding PER because they need to get some through traffic because presumably LHR-TPE or LHR-PER by itself would not have enough traffic.

mikeyfly Sep 22, 2016 5:20 am

Wow great news if true - after years of reduced services to Oz. Am I right in thinking there used to be twice daily to SYD and once to MEL ? All 747s ?

nufnuf77 Sep 22, 2016 5:20 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 27246662)
I can't imagine that PER-TPE would have enough traffic in itself. So that means they plan to fly semi full planes between these cities?

I agree, but I understand BA thinks there is a demand for PER-LHR, which should fill in enough of the plane to make the complement of PER-TPE and separately TPE-LHR viable, so they can enter TPE market without making it too big a risk.

Ldnn1 Sep 22, 2016 5:22 am

It would be quite an odd one. LHR-TPE-MEL would seem to make more sense as it's much more 'on the way':

LHR-PER = 9,009 mi
LHR-TPE-PER = 10,027 mi = 11.3% diversion

whereas
LHR-MEL = 10,503 mi
LHR-TPE-MEL = 10,671 mi = only 1.6% diversion

ETA: Having said that, I see there are no existing TPE-PER flights, whereas China Airlines fly TPE-MEL (with QF codeshare), so I guess BA may be attracted by a monopoly route.

nufnuf77 Sep 22, 2016 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27246683)
It would be quite an odd one. LHR-TPE-MEL would seem to make more sense as it's much more 'on the way':

LHR-PER = 9,009 mi

whereas
LHR-MEL = 10,503 mi

I was certainly puzzled by the choice, but someone at BA must have ran the numbers and made sense of tagging PER rather then MEL after TPE.

Down Low Sep 22, 2016 5:25 am

And this rumour is just that: gossip.

Worcester Sep 22, 2016 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27246683)

LHR-PER = 9,009 mi

whereas
LHR-MEL = 10,503 mi

Don't know the routes well, but could it be there is more competition in MEL (being closer to SYD and all), so yields could be better from PER.

Can I help you Sep 22, 2016 5:28 am

That's not what I have heard, this one is just goussip.

nufnuf77 Sep 22, 2016 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 27246705)
That's not what I have heard, this one is just goussip.

What have you heard CIHY ;)

orbitmic Sep 22, 2016 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Down Low (Post 27246695)
And this rumour is just that: gossip.

I suspect so. I doubt that whoever is in charge of studying potential new routes happen to share their thought with crew members anyway, and even when new routes are considered, the approval chain will be complex, long, and uncertain. The fact that BA happens to still need to figure out what exactly Brexit will mean to the business and will need to wait months if not years to have some sense about those effects will do nothing to simplify that approval process when it comes to any form of risky expansion.