Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Crew&Management Gossip [New route LHR-TPE-PER]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew&Management Gossip [New route LHR-TPE-PER]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
I really doubt this whole route, particularly the TPE-PER part. Possibly I could see the LHR-TPE service coming together, although ex-TPE has some of the cheapest airfares in the world, so yields may not be high from that direction.

In all my years on Flyertalk I have never heard anyone say "I wish I could fly from TPE to PER on BA".
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I agree, but I understand BA thinks there is a demand for PER-LHR, which should fill in enough of the plane to make the complement of PER-TPE and separately TPE-LHR viable, so they can enter TPE market without making it too big a risk.
But PER-LHR via TPE seems like an incredibly indirect way to get there when the ME3 are killing it out of PER with a much more direct routing. Its not like BA have a better product or price than whats already being offered by their competitors. Wouldnt EVA/China Airline be flying to PER if there was demand?

I've never understood the economics of PER since the mining boom died several years ago. The very high cost of living there remains but unemployment is up, and far fewer people are earning the big bucks by FIFO-ing. Population wise its not much bigger than ADL (where EY won't touch and QR are really struggling), yet has about twice the number of international flights that ADL does.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:01 am

I've heard Auckland..not sure where the midway point would be!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
EVA can't even fly direct TPE-LHR vv so the economics surely aren't there
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by smit0847
I've never understood the economics of PER since the mining boom died several years ago. The very high cost of living there remains but unemployment is up, and far fewer people are earning the big bucks by FIFO-ing. Population wise its not much bigger than ADL (where EY won't touch and QR are really struggling), yet has about twice the number of international flights that ADL does.
Population wise PER is roughly 50% larger than ADL (about 600k more) so it is a much bigger market (BNE is a closer population size to PER). A relatively large amount of international flights is down to the isolation - travelling to somewhere north or west of PER flying via MEL/SYD/BNE is a much larger detour than if you were flying to the same destination from ADL and transit via the east coast.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would this mean that BA would need TPE-based crews?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It would be quite an odd one. LHR-TPE-MEL would seem to make more sense as it's much more 'on the way':

LHR-PER = 9,009 mi
LHR-TPE-PER = 10,027 mi = 11.3% diversion

whereas
LHR-MEL = 10,503 mi
LHR-TPE-MEL = 10,671 mi = only 1.6% diversion

ETA: Having said that, I see there are no existing TPE-PER flights, whereas China Airlines fly TPE-MEL (with QF codeshare), so I guess BA may be attracted by a monopoly route.
PER-HKG-LHR is a very popular route on CX so an 11% diversion isnt that much of an issue. Other than going via the ME3 no route is that direct.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by mec72
I think DXB-BKK-SYD on EK is also a significant diversion but it's been out there for many years.
Yes I think a good chunk of EK's traffic on these 5F routes is from people who book without realising!

I know at least two of my friends have previously booked HKG-BKK-DXB-LON with no idea about the BKK stop until they boarded.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
PER-HKG-LHR is a very popular route on CX so an 11% diversion isnt that much of an issue. Other than going via the ME3 no route is that direct.
LHR-HKG-(australia) is a much shorter diversion than SIN or ME3 but HKG still wasnt used as much. so that wouldnt matter as much as politics and all
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
EVA can't even fly direct TPE-LHR vv so the economics surely aren't there
I'd be delighted if BA routed LHR-BKK-TPE on a four class 777 or something larger!

M
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Both MH and QF/BA via SIN, connecting to BA, are quicker and shorter than CX.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd be delighted if BA routed LHR-BKK-TPE on a four class 777 or something larger!

M
This will be Chengdu Mark II, Electric Boogaloo.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by mec72
Would this mean that BA would need TPE-based crews?
Not going to happen, sorry.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:13 am

The whole thing sounds like Codswallop FM.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: BA gold
I can't see it happening either. An east coast Australian airport would be better than isolated PER.

Especially as QF is ramping up PR regarding a non-stop PER-LHR route, something I viewed with a healthy dosage of sceptism but it seems to be getting ever closer to reality.

Even better is to serve another airport in SE Asia? HAN or MNL perhaps?

Just how easy is it to get nth freedom rights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.