Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhancements not only driving customers away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements not only driving customers away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
I thought that people used the Peso if paper was in short supply?
Perhaps that is why is it so expensive if real money has to be used.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by simons1
I thought that people used the Peso if paper was in short supply?
And the BoE clearly knew this was coming by the introduction of washable notes ....
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:00 am

It would be interesting to know what sort of job she's moving on to. Same goes for the (former) crew members who post on here.

Being a CSD and managing four different cabins full of the general public with their different sets of expectations along with a crew all while 38,000 feet in the air will definitely have taught her lots of skills.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Don't ask me why but toilet roll in Argentina is very expensive.
Originally Posted by MOR
I didn't know that.

They say that prices are essentially a function of supply and demand.

Perhaps there is more demand down there.
FWIW, annual per capita toilet paper consumption is 3.2 kg in Argentina vs 17.6 kg in the UK. The steep price HIDDY has to fork over is probably a function of a limited supply of imported TP.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
FWIW, annual per capita toilet paper consumption is 3.2 kg in Argentina vs 17.6 kg in the UK. The steep price HIDDY has to fork over is probably a function of a limited supply of imported TP.
Thanks for that. ^

I can impress a few people with that explanation. I thought it might be as a result of the over protected retail industry we have here. You should all be grateful BA isn't nationalised or you'd have a lot more than the lack of Champagne to worry about.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by opalfruit
First, they came and put the slop trays in the F lounge, but I did not speak out because I was in the CCR.
Then they came for the legroom in short haul, but I did not speak out because my Gold card gave me exit rows.
Then they came for the amenity kits in CW and the flower in the loo, but I did not speak out because I'd stole a bunch of Elemis from the lounge lavs.
Then they came for the sandwiches in shorthaul, but I did not speak out because I was enjoying CE afternoon tea.
Then they came for the Grand Siecle in F, and I... U FLIPPIN' WOT MATE?!?
+1!!! I ROFL during my team meeting
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Thanks for that. ^

I can impress a few people with that explanation. I thought it might be as a result of the over protected retail industry we have here. You should all be grateful BA isn't nationalised or you'd have a lot more than the lack of Champagne to worry about.
It might be in the next few years along with the railways, banks and all the media....

I wonder though if this cost cutting on items which in the wider scheme of things cost very little are actually going to decrease reveneue. If we assume that the average spend on F&B on SH is Ł2.50, with 144 seats on a A320, that results in a saving of Ł360 saving. Of course revenue will be increased by selling items, but I wonder how many customers they will loose.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jahason
Reminds me of a stand up show I once heard "I'd like a hot drink, cold drink, packet of peanuts and anything else I am entitled to".
Ah ah, thanks - actually I may well adopt that phrasing and save everyone some time! When I fly longer AA routes, I seem to be the only one not asking for "a bit of everything" with my sundae, both because the mix of tastes sounds a bit gross to me and because I disliked ready made whipped cream, but that's not to say that the phrasing would not be appropriate for F amenities. It makes me sorry as asking crew members "could I please have everything" is not nice to them, but I equally do not see why I should play with the ridiculous management charade when my Ł x,000 ticket has just paid for a few minutes of their ridiculous income.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
On a recent J AA flight I was asked if I wanted head phones rather than them just be left on the seat when I boarded - again it starts the personal interraction
Think that's more to do with AA offering noise cancelling Bose headphones that they don't want to leave lying about. It's irritating when they collect them 30 minutes before landing though.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Worcester
It might be in the next few years along with the railways, banks and all the media....

I wonder though if this cost cutting on items which in the wider scheme of things cost very little are actually going to decrease reveneue. If we assume that the average spend on F&B on SH is Ł2.50, with 144 seats on a A320, that results in a saving of Ł360 saving. Of course revenue will be increased by selling items, but I wonder how many customers they will loose.
In ET I'd be surprised if it was that much, but maybe I haven't witnessed the booze hounds... (Excise free though)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:45 pm

This makes interesting reading:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-trial...k-paris-flight

Looks like UA's soft product is going to be way ahead of BA's.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
This makes interesting reading:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-trial...k-paris-flight

Looks like UA's soft product is going to be way ahead of BA's.
To be honest that food still looks mediocre, especially considering this is a test flight (especially the mains which look nondescript). However, the rest of the new J looks pretty good, especially the window seats, bedding, and lounge which all seem quite improved over UA's current offering. Yet another airline to do J better than BA I guess...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:32 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Aren't the sleeper suits already on request...

In a dozen F flights, I've never found on my seat. The CC has always asked me during or after predeparture drinks would I like one and fetched the appropriate size.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by amt
Aren't the sleeper suits already on request...

In a dozen F flights, I've never found on my seat. The CC has always asked me during or after predeparture drinks would I like one and fetched the appropriate size.
On request means you'll have to ask for it, rather than being offered it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Calum
On request means you'll have to ask for it, rather than being offered it.
Exactly, that's the change: you were offered it ('pro-actively offered'), now you'll need to know that they exist and ask for them as though asking for a favour ('on request'), with BA presumably cutting stocks by 10-20% on the way to account for people who are either ignorant or shy about the product.

But don't worry, Pinocchio's narrative is that 'cuts to Y are used to fund improvement in premium classes'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.