Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Enhancements not only driving customers away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements not only driving customers away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by opalfruit
First, they came and put the slop trays in the F lounge, but I did not speak out because I was in the CCR.
Then they came for the legroom in short haul, but I did not speak out because my Gold card gave me exit rows.
Then they came for the amenity kits in CW and the flower in the loo, but I did not speak out because I'd stole a bunch of Elemis from the lounge lavs.
Then they came for the sandwiches in shorthaul, but I did not speak out because I was enjoying CE afternoon tea.
Then they came for the Grand Siecle in F, and I... U FLIPPIN' WOT MATE?!?
^^^
Brilliant!
I find it a bit disheartening that some people tend to argue "I don't drink alcohol/wear F pajamas/use Elemis spa/fly ET or WT", and hence don't really care about enhancements affecting services they don't use/enjoy, just because it doesn't affect them personally.

People care about different parts of the service offerings, which is not to say that person A's preferences are more important than person B's. But to satisfy a greater number of people travelling in whichever cabin, I would like not to see service after service being enhanced away.*

* Yes, I know I'm a dreamer
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: Some
I think LPGS (or similar) is safe for a while yet, it'll surely disappear from the CCR a while before they get rid of it on board (I have no idea if this has already been discussed).

The point at which BA downgrades from a prestige cuvee to a regular business class champagne is the point at which BA F *actually* becomes a J product as far as I'm concerned.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by linzbh
ice weigh less than water so why remove the ice? too many times ive had drinks in club that are warm and need ice to cool them down. even white wine i have needed ice for. #bringBAcktheice !
a lb of ice weighs the same as a lb of water!

Ice is less dense than water which is why it floats.

CIHY says only that the ice trays are only being removed from the duty free carts. Why DF needs to be cold I don't know! Oddbins (other fine off-door sales outlets are available) just has stuff on the shelves with very little in fridges and manages.

I have no issue with 'on request' but people need to know what is and isn't on request.

VS actively asks pax if they want a sleep suit rather than leave them on seats - it gives the CC a chance to interact with pax and to welcome them on board, take a pdb drink order as well and explain how the UC suite works.

In Y pillows and blankets (and I think amenity kits) are on request on day flights and I've not seen SRB being marched to the guillotine.

Other airlines just have the kit contents in the toilets - even in J.

On a recent J AA flight I was asked if I wanted head phones rather than them just be left on the seat when I boarded - again it starts the personal interraction

On a DL flight the amenity kit and head phones were brought to each passenger (the CC had 1/2 dozen of each in a basket / tray so weren't constantly running up and down the cabin). Some chose both or non and some just the amenity kit (they had their own phones) and some just the phones. Again it starts the personal interraction that I don't always feel on my BA J flights (other than CWLCY)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by GavT_london
bulk buy of near sell-by date unknown brand products from poundland???
An old dish cloth in an M&S carrier bag.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Could you bring your own champagne in case they ran out, or would that not be the done thing?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
MOR, a case of champagne may be excessive unless you were proposing to treat all F pax on-board ��. Doc Copper
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by diarsin
?.....all items such as toilet roll will be return loaded....
Another thread discusses the problem of running out of champagne and other drinks on return legs, but toilet paper? What will happen, move spare rolls from Economy up to First? (Or just remove the rolls from Economy...)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muscat
Another thread discusses the problem of running out of champagne and other drinks on return legs, but toilet paper? What will happen, move spare rolls from Economy up to First? (Or just remove the rolls from Economy...)
Don't ask me why but toilet roll in Argentina is very expensive. If BA can buy it cheaper in the UK - which they almost certainly can - then it might make economical sense to load enough at LHR for the return flight.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
MOR, a case of champagne may be excessive unless you were proposing to treat all F pax on-board ��. Doc Copper
Depends on the length of the flight. LGW-JER may be, but on a band 4 flight...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
They aren't though. It's not as though the pyjamas or toiletry bags were put on everyone's seat and wasted if people do not want them, it is just that they are pro-actively offered whilst the change suggests that now only people who "know" and "dare" to ask.

My sense is that the current management is not so much interested in avoiding waste where people do not need something as in trying to make passengers feel like greedy high maintenance pieces of sh*t when they need to ask for anything at all. The hope is probably that you would not dare ask for pyjamas AND amenity kits AND sleepers AND day blanket etc without feeling like a pain in the back and therefore won't.
I hope you are not also going to ask to dine on demand after that lot!

Agreed, though, what is is wrong with proactively offering something? It does seem to be a recurring theme on FT these days - the 'I don't wear the PJs in F so I don't think they should be offered' type approach.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
The look on the crew's faces when handing out the second "meal" service in Y/W says it all at the moment. Sheer embarrassment. "Nutrigrain bar, anyone?"
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I should make it clear that CSD I was speaking to was not against the idea of "on request". She was mentioning it as an example of how the attitude to customers was changing. With regards to BoB, she had a friend in EF who has a day of "in flight food & beverage purchasing upskilling" on her roster this month. Whilst nobody has specifically mentioned BoB it seemed pretty obvious to her what it was.

Last edited by diarsin; Sep 20, 2016 at 8:00 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Don't ask me why but toilet roll in Argentina is very expensive.
I didn't know that.

They say that prices are essentially a function of supply and demand.

Perhaps there is more demand down there.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MOR
I didn't know that.

They say that prices are basically a function of supply and demand.

Perhaps there is more demand down there.
I thought that people used the Peso if paper was in short supply?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
....... you would not dare ask for pyjamas AND amenity kits AND sleepers AND day blanket etc without feeling like a pain in the back and therefore won't.
Reminds me of a stand up show I once heard "I'd like a hot drink, cold drink, packet of peanuts and anything else I am entitled to".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.