Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my soft landing safe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Is my soft landing safe?

Hello all, appreciate your collective wisdom on this.

Normally Silver but currently 3/4 through my first (and probably only) year as Gold.

As the majority of my LH travel has been using reward flights this year, my projected TP for the year is currently only 530.

I know I have the easy option of upgrading a couple of upcoming domestic flights (or doing a mini TP run) to ensure that I pass the 600 mark, but do you think it's necessary?

I guess the simple question is, how safe is my Silver status for next year?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
If you have taken 4 flights on BA metal then under the rules you will drop to Silver. But there have been other people reporting that they initially have problems (probably due to ropey IT). I suppose calls to BA can fix this.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Worcester
If you have taken 4 flights on BA metal then under the rules you will drop to Silver. But there have been other people reporting that they initially have problems (probably due to ropey IT). I suppose calls to BA can fix this.
"If you have taken 4 flights" - is this correct?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
"If you have taken 4 flights" - is this correct?
No, it's not - the soft landing still currently occurs if you have zero flights and zero TPs, so the OP should be fine.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
No, it's not - the soft landing still currently occurs if you have zero flights and zero TPs, so the OP should be fine.
Thanks. I was worried I would need to do a day trip before 8 October
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

I am sorry if what I said was incorrect I am sure I read that elsewhere on FT.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I am sorry if what I said was incorrect I am sure I read that elsewhere on FT.
4 flights are only to (re)qualify, not for a soft landing.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I don't think there is anything in the T&C that formally documents soft landing though? So they could unilaterally take away this "benefit"?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I do have the 4 BA flights.

It's the sudden withdrawal of this unofficial policy that worries me. Would be just my luck and would take me few months to get back to Silver if that were to happen.

I can't go back to bronze :-/

I may push the TP to 600 just to be safe
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Soft landing side benefits

I'm also 'normally' silver, but (thanks to abnormal travel patterns last year) I'm part-way through what will almost certainly be my only year as gold. In my case, I'm only 4 months in.

The '4 flights' comment upthread gave me a brief moment of panic - glad it was soon corrected!

Since I have no realistic prospect of re-qualifying as gold, and no need to re-qualify as silver (thanks to soft landing) I'm treating this as a year when I can resort to mostly burning, rather than earning, avios. In 'normal' years I struggle to earn enough TPs for silver, so can't afford to do many (if any) long haul redemptions.

This year is definitely payback time - just booked a TATL eastbound redemption in F, and the corresponding westbound in WT (no premium cabin availability, and the WT seat was only available as a Gold benefit). I'll keep checking for something better nearer the date of travel, but if worst comes at least I'll be in 26C (exit row) on a 777, which seems to be one of the best seats in WT.

Despite all the grumbles around here, BAEC is delivering for me at the moment.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:26 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by larryflyer
I'm also 'normally' silver, but (thanks to abnormal travel patterns last year) I'm part-way through what will almost certainly be my only year as gold. In my case, I'm only 4 months in.

The '4 flights' comment upthread gave me a brief moment of panic - glad it was soon corrected!

Since I have no realistic prospect of re-qualifying as gold, and no need to re-qualify as silver (thanks to soft landing) I'm treating this as a year when I can resort to mostly burning, rather than earning, avios. In 'normal' years I struggle to earn enough TPs for silver, so can't afford to do many (if any) long haul redemptions.
Same here, will be gold next year and therefore silver the next "thanks" to a bereavement , and cheap ex-Scandinavia / QR J.

Despite all the grumbles around here, BAEC is delivering for me at the moment.
BAEC is delivering, but BA isn't. My strategy is earn elsewhere and burn on BA shorthaul. (I can't bring myself to pay cash for HBO plus it avoids the moral dilemma of pretending to have a Ukraine credit card)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.