FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Asking to be guested in on the escalator (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1791416-asking-guested-escalator.html)

FlyerTalker6245 Sep 17, 2016 3:28 am

Asking to be guested in on the escalator

Deleted

Filthy Monkey Sep 17, 2016 3:38 am

I probably would, just for having the front to ask ^

Ldnn1 Sep 17, 2016 3:38 am

Press the escalator emergency stop button and raise the alarm immediately. :)

navylad Sep 17, 2016 3:42 am

"Sorry, I'm heading to a concord room myself but of course I can help you, keep an eye of FT to get some good deals of tPs and when you get to GGL then you can bring your friend in, in the meantime, I've heard there is an awesome champagne bar you can check out"

rossmacd Sep 17, 2016 3:46 am

If I was in this situation, I would politely decline. Fair play to the gentleman for having the audacity to ask, but it would not be in the spirit of the rules in my book.

I have guested fellow FTers who have made contact via this board - as there is some way to get an indication of their personality via their posts. As I the host, I would feel responsible for my guest, and I would not take the risk of guesting someone I have never interacted with before.

I was asked once by a 'gentleman' who was laying into a Lounge Angel demanding access (he was status-less, flying WT+), apparently business associates with WW and the like. I was being scanned in at the other terminal and he had the cheek to be guested. I am sure you can imagine the response was less than pleasant, based on the way he was berating the BA staff member, who did a great job of managing her cool.

MPH1980 Sep 17, 2016 4:12 am

I'd decline too in that circumstance.

I have done it once for a stranger (e.g. non FT-guest thread related) before when I got chatting to a lady in the queue who asked me where the lounge was and I told her to follow me.

So we chatted all the way to the door where she was promptly rejected because she was on an economy ticket to EDI coming off an emirates (QF coded) J flight.

So I just stepped in and said "well - in that case ..."

PUCCI GALORE Sep 17, 2016 4:28 am

No - absolutely not. I would not guest a second guest that I did not even know. I'd just apologise and say I'm sorry but it's breaking the rules.

Now far more interesting - what would you do if you saw that he had got two guests in that Lounge by blagging someone else. Would you take action then?

UKtravelbear Sep 17, 2016 4:41 am

He'd get a brusque 'no' from me and depending how aggressive he was I might advise the lounge guardian " there's a rather rude chap on the escalator asking to be guested in ..."

Jetstreamer Sep 17, 2016 4:50 am

Another reason to keep the gold bag tags in the drawer! Another no way from me.

South London Bon Viveur Sep 17, 2016 5:03 am

I thought you had to be on the same flight to bring a guest?? Goes to show how much I know. I would say no as well.

PUCCI GALORE Sep 17, 2016 5:04 am

Actually I'd never invite anyone who asked, but I might invite someone who didn't - people one queues behind at Security and who strike up pleasant or amusing conversation.

Frankly I think that he had a lot of nerve.

lavajava Sep 17, 2016 5:18 am

Funny, I wonder how many trips up and down the escalator it took before someone gave in to his request, perhaps he is still there...

Agree with Pucci Galore - I did once guest a complete stranger into the lounge in BOM after being stuck in the domestic terminal together, and realizing he was on the same flight as me.

KARFA Sep 17, 2016 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur (Post 27224200)
I thought you had to be on the same flight to bring a guest?? Goes to show how much I know. I would say no as well.

No absolutely not. Your guest can be on a different flights as long as it is operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

HilFly Sep 17, 2016 5:23 am

Originally Posted by andset1191 (Post 27224014)
Good morning from Galleries First.

A new one for me this morning - I noticed a rather flustered looking man hovering at the bottom of the escalator up to GF and CCR level, and as soon as I got on the escalator, he jumped on behind me.

On the escalator, he very pleasantly and politely says, "Good morning. I see you're a Gold Card Holder like me. They won't let me bring two guests into the lounge, so could you help me out and guest in my [whatever the relationship was]?"

So what would you do!?

How did he know you were a GCH?

crazy8534 Sep 17, 2016 5:26 am

Of course I would.

I have had lots of chance meetings with wonderful people throughout my travels and I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make a new friend.
99% of people are decent, honest and responsible and if whoever you guest in proceeds to strip naked and dance in the buffet it will make an excellent thread on FT.

That's a good basis for life in general: "choose whatever option will make the best story."