Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking to be guested in on the escalator

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
Originally Posted by andyishy
On plenty of occasions i've been behind someone who was trying to get 2 guests in and I have always offered to guest the extra person.

This is 2 fold really, it helps someone out whilst making absolutely no difference to my life whatsoever and it makes the queue move faster!
I was in Milan with a 4 hr wait & 2 people with me.
As we were approaching the lounge I was explaining to them that I would most likely be refused 2 guests but it would no harm to ask when a gentleman following behind us overheard & offered to guest in my spare guest.
We had concluded our business in Italy so were rather indulgent in the lounge thanks to that gent.
Sealink and CaroFos like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by liamvad
This 'guesting' thing is more about snobbery and elitism,I was guested in a few times on the old thread,met some nice folk,and I think the 'regulars' to the lounges did not like people being guested in and getting 'something for nothing',hence the old thread was stopped,shame,it does show however,that the class system is alive and well in the UK,sadly.For me it was meeting fellow FT'ers,having a nice relaxing time before my flight,a quick drink and off to get my flight,I was never in the lounges for more than an hour,I have done lots of flights with BA,but not enough to earn Silver to guest myself in!!!Come on,lighten up,meet your fellow travelers,have a chat and chill out,and BA rules DO allow people to guest in others,I found it really enjoyable chatting to other FT'ers.....and thanks to those who did invite me in.
This.

I feel like I would have loved to have met some of you before a flight.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by xenole
Apologies. It's just nice to have some company when I'm on my travels especially if it's a fancier lounge such as the CCR. Sitting alone for a few hours in airport after airport does get tedious after a while and a bit of female company is far more natural to me whilst in a sort of restaurant environment.
My definition of "young lady" isn't quite the Jimmy Saville definition. I'm in my late 30's so anyone younger than myself is what I class to be a "young lady". Probably better to use something like "woman"
Haha, if I wasnt "early 50s" (and got my own lounge access) I would be your young lady !
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
As someone who is 50/50 travelling as a three - hands up - I have, on occasion (three times actually), politely asked (in the lounge - carefully picking my 'victim') and been kindly granted a guest invite for an extra one from a solo lovely person .. Am I comfortable asking - absolutely NOT - floor / open up and swallow me! - but it really does make a huge difference when someone outside of your party is out there in the terminal on their own.

The question is - should I forgo my Gold benefit to stick with my party - Answer - probably - but if someone doesn't mind guesting my +2 in - then why not. I would be delighted to be able to offer the same benefit to any of my FF buddies/associates in a similar situation.

Blagging entry to the lounges when no one has any right to be there - Absolutely NO! (unless via this/other forums from people who offer regular/positive contribution!) .....
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm happy to guest someone in when I have the opportunity. That said, does no one else here see a slippery slope problem? What happens when everyone is guesting people in?
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm happy to guest someone in when I have the opportunity. That said, does no one else here see a slippery slope problem? What happens when everyone is guesting people in?
absolutely.. which is why my three 'asks' have been confined to when travelling with my kid (18+) in tow. I have stayed in terminal with friends in the past... (and guested wife of friend- leaving husband and daughter in PRET- for a cheeky glass of champagne) but which caused aggro from friends husband who did not approve of the wives slipping off for 45 minutes!!

Equally - we have booked one into CE so we can all downgrade and go Galleries Club lounge - (after a quick visit by two to F lounge for Eggs Benedict!) ... the person who doesn't get the Flounge visit gets the seat in Club! There are ways around!!

I will say that the lovely man who kindly guested my daughter into Flounge last summer was a life saver. It was only while sitting together (travelling on separate tickets) we discovered husband and daughter's flight had been delayed that would mean them missing their connection in Madrid to AGP (I was on direct flight) ... a swift chat with the lounge angels got them on another flight and avoided an overnight in Madrid... (which would have been way more lucrative tho and avoided the 'lost bag for 72 hours!!) But that's another story!!
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Wink

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
ditto - preferably attractive 25-45 year old females.
+1
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
This.
The post you have quoted is incorrect. That thread being removed had nothing to do with snobbery and elitism from 'regulars' and everything to do with BA wanting it gone due to it being severely abused.
aidy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Would it work if BA were to charge for an additional traveller over those allowed by right? I would guess that most people in,say, a group of 3 would be prepared to pay a small fee-£15? to allow access for the whole group
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by steve170461
Would it work if BA were to charge for an additional traveller over those allowed by right? I would guess that most people in,say, a group of 3 would be prepared to pay a small fee-£15? to allow access for the whole group
There is already a way of purchasing lounge access from BA. It's called a business class ticket.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:12 am

At T5B lounge I was standing behind this guy who had an “arrival invitation card” from AA trying to get in. The lounge agent said no. I overheard and I said he is my guest. He completely freaked out and said NO I AM NOT WITH HIM. So I left him alone and he went back to the terminal.
Not a street-smart fella. Oh well...

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by DreamTrip
At T5B lounge I was standing behind this guy who had an “arrival invitation card” from AA trying to get in. The lounge agent said no. I overheard and I said he is my guest. He completely freaked out and said NO I AM NOT WITH HIM. So I left him alone and he went back to the terminal.
Not a street-smart fella. Oh well...

You can lead a horse to water...
Sealink likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Given what other airlines charge for lounge access, I'd imagine this charge would look a lot more like £50 for GC and £80 for GF.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Haven’t looked through the entire thread so not sure if already mentioned .... but Emirates introduced a pay-on-the-door option at their DXB, and certain other lounges, some time ago (at least a couple of years back, IIRC)

The charges are, however, not in £15 territory ! I believe it’s something well over USD100 for biz class lounges and over USD200 for First (which effectively exists only in Dubai). Not cheap .... but then again we’re talking about Emirates lounges.

Personally I’m no great fan of the policy.
It does, however, provide a very simple remedy for harassed lounge agents who are constantly put under pressure to accept “just one additional guest, please .... surely” “Certainly, sir .... and which credit card would you like to pay with ... ?”
CCayley likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Given what other airlines charge for lounge access, I'd imagine this charge would look a lot more like £50 for GC and £80 for GF.
Given how busy the BA lounges can get at times I'm quite glad they don't offer paid entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.