Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking to be guested in on the escalator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Popinjay
I couldn't agree more. The use of "young lady" is creepy enough on its own.
I would like to post one of those "this is what a feminist looks like" images that are quite numerous on some blogs .
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
I would like to post one of those "this is what a feminist looks like" images that are quite numerous on some blogs .
Feel free young man.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Apologies. It's just nice to have some company when I'm on my travels especially if it's a fancier lounge such as the CCR. Sitting alone for a few hours in airport after airport does get tedious after a while and a bit of female company is far more natural to me whilst in a sort of restaurant environment.
My definition of "young lady" isn't quite the Jimmy Saville definition. I'm in my late 30's so anyone younger than myself is what I class to be a "young lady". Probably better to use something like "woman"
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I enjoyed that.
Alan Partridge could not have put it better himself.
Thanks! Quite a compliment!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by gms
You've made yourself sound incredibly creepy. Giving me flashbacks to documentaries on Jimmy Savile
Bah! Humbug! Surely Xenole (or anyone else for that matter) should be able to use any tool at their disposal to further their romantic interests and if the lure of a T5 executive club lounge is an element of their artillery, then good luck.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks! Quite a compliment!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Oh, you're all being so harsh on xenole and crazyanglaisy. Young ladies may just have learnt that they'll never be President of the US, but they can at least be grateful that, one day, they may just be lucky enough to be guested into an airport lounge. Thanks to the benevolence of men. I for one commend their kindness. One day women might be able to afford their own lounge access, but alas, this is not that time.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
On plenty of occasions i've been behind someone who was trying to get 2 guests in and I have always offered to guest the extra person.

This is 2 fold really, it helps someone out whilst making absolutely no difference to my life whatsoever and it makes the queue move faster!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by rhivolution
Oh, you're all being so harsh on xenole and crazyanglaisy. Young ladies may just have learnt that they'll never be President of the US, but they can at least be grateful that, one day, they may just be lucky enough to be guested into an airport lounge. Thanks to the benevolence of men. I for one commend their kindness. One day women might be able to afford their own lounge access, but alas, this is not that time.
Never mind. At least they know they can become CEO of Easyjet.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Purim
Bah! Humbug! Surely Xenole (or anyone else for that matter) should be able to use any tool at their disposal to further their romantic interests and if the lure of a T5 executive club lounge is an element of their artillery, then good luck.
Perhaps an unfortunate term of phrase considering the subject!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver // Miles&Smiles Elite // LATAM Pass Black
Originally Posted by shefgab
I think I'm a reasonable judge of character, and so might have guested him in based on my own random assessment! By dint of the fact it was a group of three, one of them being GCH, I'd be fairly satisfied that the three of them would keep to themselves and knew how to behave. I used to like the old guesting thread....it's nice to be helpful to strangers sometimes, especially when it requires minimal effort from you, but makes a big difference to them.

I guested a guy into the AZ lounge in FCO a few years ago after we struck up conversation on the airport bus, then he asked how I was able to use the J check in line. He had never heard of any of the wonders discussed here daily, and it was nice to be able to impart some of my wisdom! He thought the lounge was brilliant! I was quite annoyed upon getting to the new SV lounge in RUH that Skyteam rules mean that your guest has to be on the same flight (not just within the Allliance), so I couldn't guest him in there for his 5 hour connection. I even considered letting him in with my bp and foregoing the lounge, as my onward flight was shortly boarding. I didn't in the end.

Where did the "old guesting" thread go? I'm trying to find it just as a reference point
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by WorldWideWolfie
Where did the "old guesting" thread go? I'm trying to find it just as a reference point
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:46 am

I have to chime in and say that it's been interesting reading the responses from the supposed upper echelon of The Executive Club. I solo travel around the world, as I have the freedom to do so, as and when I please. And the vast majority of the time, I will purposefully fly Economy but beeline for the F Lounges.

There have been many occasions where I thought to myself; Wouldn't it be nice to share this experience with someone, or meet someone on the same or another flight, or even just show kindness to another fellow human being on this planet that we call Earth and guest them into sometimes rather beautiful lounges (HKG CX "The Wing" F Lounge with the Cabana's for instance).

For a conglomerate like IAG who anticipate FY 16 profits of circa £2.24bn, I'm sure they can handle allowing a guest or two into the lounge.

So to the naysayers who scoff at the very thought of helping out or even being kind to another person, I must say - pull your finger out!

Ones station is really not all that!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:51 am

Great, thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I never say never, but I think if I were accosted at random at the elevator then odds favour me saying no, as I wouldn't know the person from Adam, and I would consider myself on the hook for any behaviour while they were in the lounge. Also, usually I am in my own little world when travelling alone (whether or not I have my iPod on) and I think that would likely startle me haha.

If I had somehow struck up conversation already I wouldn't rule it out though (as I would at least have some idea of who they were and also have figured out whether I actually wanted to continue the conversation over a glass of vino / slightly stale bacon roll). Just my personal preference.

I have never been approached at any of the lounges fwiw. And I sometimes but not always have tags on bags. I suspect it's not exactly rife.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.