Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking to be guested in on the escalator

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The same people who routinely do this will be the same people who go off the rails when BA caps the number of guests per quarter or year by status such that one can bring one's family in on holiday, but do as suggested here.

One has to wonder how many of the people who think that this is a proper British welcome, would think that if bringing a guest meant pulling out a credit card to pay for their guest. Indeed, such a person is not their guest, but BA's.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
What some will do for a glass of LPGS eh?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCayley
The self-righteous boasting of some of those who would say 'Yes' about their generosity, and the associated criticism of the supposedly mean-spirited of us who would say 'No' is most amusing.

Guesting an absolute stranger into the lounge is as 'generous' as inviting a total stranger you meet on the street to be your '+1' at a neighbour's party ("There'll be tons of food and booze - come along!"). If you want to impress me with your philanthropy/altruism/generosity/whatever, tell me about the time you gave a stranger at Heathrow £30 out of your own pocket so they could buy themselves some food and drink...

IMHO, this thread demonstrates very clearly why BA/Oneworld should change the rules so people can only guest individuals who are travelling with them on the same flight.
Why should any guests be allowed? Only the earner or purchaser of the right should be allowed in.

Generosity isn't just about money. It is the spirit of the act of giving. It is indeed generous to give a hand out to a mother and father with child to allow them to stay together and enjoy a benefit.

It may or may not be mean spirited to say no, but if the reason for no is some sort of self-interest ("they may remove the benefit" or "I might be embarrassed") it isn't really based on fair play toward BA, is it?
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I can fully understand that some people might be happy to guest a total stranger (either without question, or depending on exact circumstances), while for others the idea is a complete non-starter.

However, what I do find almost surreal is the somewhat melodramatic criticism levelled in some posts at those who - for whatever personal reason - would refuse. The allegations of mean spirit, selfishness or implied lack of compassion seem to me to bear little relevance to the actual scenario.

Someone joining the thread midway could be forgiven for thinking that the discussion was about an unfortunate section of society being denied their basic human rights.

I really don't think exclusion (and justifiably so) from a first class airline lounge falls into the category of life's great injustices or deprivations.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
Why should any guests be allowed? Only the earner or purchaser of the right should be allowed in.

Generosity isn't just about money. It is the spirit of the act of giving. It is indeed generous to give a hand out to a mother and father with child to allow them to stay together and enjoy a benefit.

It may or may not be mean spirited to say no, but if the reason for no is some sort of self-interest ("they may remove the benefit" or "I might be embarrassed") it isn't really based on fair play toward BA, is it?

Fair play towards BA?

In the current climate that is a hilarious comment.

You clearly haven't had an EU261 claim against them as yet.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
I can fully understand that some people might be happy to guest a total stranger (either without question, or depending on exact circumstances), while for others the idea is a complete non-starter.

However, what I do find almost surreal is the somewhat melodramatic criticism levelled in some posts at those who - for whatever personal reason - would refuse. The allegations of mean spirit, selfishness or implied lack of compassion seem to me to bear little relevance to the actual scenario.

Someone joining the thread midway could be forgiven for thinking that the discussion was about an unfortunate section of society being denied their basic human rights.

I really don't think exclusion (and justifiably so) from a first class airline lounge falls into the category of life's great injustices or deprivations.
The bonkers thing about this thread is not the opinions expressed but the way in which is has been framed.

Everyone agrees that in purchasing a ticket from BA as a SCH/GCH I am buying lounge access for me plus another (meeting certain conditions such as travel on OW carrier, etc.). It is the primary reason why many fly BA, especially on shorthaul routes.

All the references to 'a complete stranger' are pretty moralistic judgements of how well someone else feels I ought to know a person before I can invite them to do something with me.

I may like the look of someone in a queue and invite them to starbucks for a coffee with me. Someone may ask me if I'd like to join them for a coffee. Many wouldn't. It's an individual's decision as to what extent they need to know someone before doing something with them. For many (me included) the answer to that could be 'not at all'.

Guesting someone I've only just met into a lounge, for which I have paid my money, is my decision. Not yours. Not BA's. I've paid for the right to do that. It's my decision who I wish to invite into the lounge (or to starbucks for that matter), not BA's.

The only moralising going on here is people getting in my business, telling me how well they think I ought to know someone before I can bring someone into a lounge for which I have purchased two tickets for entry. I might suggest that those people consider staying in their own business rather than moralising on mine.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
All the references to 'a complete stranger' are pretty moralistic judgements of how well someone else feels I ought to know a person before I can invite them to do something with me.

The only moralising going on here is people getting in my business, telling me how well they think I ought to know someone before I can bring someone into a lounge for which I have purchased two tickets for entry. I might suggest that those people consider staying in their own business rather than moralising on mine.
Perhaps BA's lounge dragons/angels should start asking some "Mr & Mrs" type questions before allowing a guest in.

"Where did you guys meet?"
"What's your guest's favourite colour?"
"What does your guest wear in bed?"

etc.

Any wrong answers, and they are refused entry.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Guesting someone I've only just met into a lounge, for which I have paid my money, is my decision. Not yours. Not BA's. I've paid for the right to do that. It's my decision who I wish to invite into the lounge (or to starbucks for that matter), not BA's.

Well it's fair to say your views have evolved as this thread has gone on. Back at post 74 you were asserting the same right to guest a stranger in the context of an example (created by you) in which you hadn't paid a dime for the privilege...

Moreover I don't think anyone has said you don't have the right to use guesting privileges as you wish, it is merely that others (including me) wouldn't make the same choice, and in my case I happen to find it laughable that some of those who agree with you like to boast of their generosity when it is BA's booze they are giving away. The only real moralising on this thread has come from those, including you, who have not merely asserted the right to guest whomsoever you choose, but have chosen to criticise those who would not make the same choice.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Don't tell them your name Pike!"

And did I sense a flounce? I think I may have done....
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:11 pm

So, basically you SHOULD be guesting people into the lounge to ensure BA doesn't cut future provision for when you want to bring friends and family in! It isn't even altruistic, it's in your own interests to do so.
Apparently you are arguing that an increase in the frequency of guesting will mean that BA will increase the food and staffing in the lounges to accommodate the increase, and we will all be better off.

More likely, BA will raise ticket prices and/or impose new restrictions on guesting and/or lounge access in general.

Your generosity is admirable, but there is no such thing as a free lunch. At the end of the day, you and I will be paying the cost.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by subject2load
Sounds like a fairly accurate description of long haul Y to me.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the flip side, maybe I should hang around the exit to security south before my next flight in F.

Excuse me madam, have you seen the cabanas in the Concorde Room? @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Exactly. I'm sure if BA intended it to be like that then they would set up a queuing system outside the lounge.

It's always easy to be generous when you are not paying.
But you have paid via all your precious flying/ current first class ticket.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
But you have paid via all your precious flying/ current first class ticket.
So you really think the price of tickets is set at a level that assumes every premium traveller or status member will guest someone in, strangers included?

If so why doesn't BA follow my suggestion and set up a standby line to allow people without guests to take someone in. And if so why was the 'guesting' thread on here shut down, as surely it would all have been totally legitimate.

As I said before, when BA decide eventually to enhance the lounge access criteria (and it's a when not an if) it will be the same people claiming to be distressed by it all.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by simons1
So you really think the price of tickets is set at a level that assumes every premium traveller or status member will guest someone in, strangers included?

If so why doesn't BA follow my suggestion and set up a standby line to allow people without guests to take someone in. And if so why was the 'guesting' thread on here shut down, as surely it would all have been totally legitimate.

As I said before, when BA decide eventually to enhance the lounge access criteria (and it's a when not an if) it will be the same people claiming to be distressed by it all.
If I am a premium traveller or GCH am I eligible to have a guest with me? Frankly I do not care what assumptions BA make.

Also you are expanding this to assume everybody will bring a stranger in. The OP has identified a fairly unique event, in my experience.

Out of the hundreds of lounge visits I have made I guested two 'strangers' in, both of which were young people immigrating who I sat beside on a connecting flight to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.