Asking to be guested in on the escalator

Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
When i first joined FT i did ask two people to guest me twice into GF at the escalator and i got in.

Now I can get in by myself 😂😂
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by subject2load
I would be very surprised indeed if we do not see restrictions to lounge access and/or tightened criteria, of one sort or another, within the next 12/18 months or so.

In BA's current world, it's open season on pretty much anything that could bring significant savings. This particular enhancement would offer the added benefit of instant implementation with virtually no organisational on-cost.

Indeed.

Just like VS did a couple of years ago (and unrelated to the DL JV) when it changed policy to 'guest must be on the same flight' rather than 'flying on a VS flight that day'

It wouldn't bring mega million savings but there would obviously be some both in cash and less crowding terms.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
But you've paid already.

Say that I like picking up ladies in airports (apologies to Mrs TT) and part of the reason I decide to buy my ticket with BA is that they allow me to bring a guest into the lounge. I spot a lovely young lady in the security queue and get chatting to her. Twenty minutes later we emerge from the trauma of T5 security and I wave my non-shiny card at her. She is impressed and needs a glass of LPGS to calm her nerves. I take her into the lounge and she now knows I'm a big-shot because I walked through the millionaires' door. We all live happily ever after.

Why should I pay extra for her when I've bought a ticket specifically because I'm allowed a guest into the lounge. What's wrong with the situation above?
Haha except Mrs TT

Actually you're making a convincing argument, when you consider that you have paid for the guest in your ticket price.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:03 am

I'm a big-shot because I walked through the millionaires' door.
Some fair points TT but not sure you have to be a millionaire to be able to walk thru that door, or a big shot
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Why should I pay extra for her when I've bought a ticket specifically because I'm allowed a guest into the lounge. What's wrong with the situation above?
The woman thinks you're being cheap - instead of taking her to Plane Food and paying for whatever she wished to have, you are taking her to somewhere that's free at the point of delivery but (allegedly) have a poor range of menu and the food is (allegedly) not great, and she ends up with tough as old leather piece of steak or something and she gets disappointed.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I would happily guest his companion in. Life is far too short.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Haha except Mrs TT

Actually you're making a convincing argument, when you consider that you have paid for the guest in your ticket price.
Thankfully Mrs TT has her own non-shiny card and knows the CCR team better than I do thesedays so would have no trouble tracking me down
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The woman thinks you're being cheap - instead of taking her to Plane Food and paying for whatever she wished to have, you are taking her to somewhere that's free at the point of delivery but (allegedly) have a poor range of menu and the food is (allegedly) not great, and she ends up with tough as old leather piece of steak or something and she gets disappointed.
I think I'd be well-advised to focus on intoxicating said lady with champagne rather than fattening her up on BA's burgers
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@LTNphobia ... the cheap date analogy made me smile ^

I'm really not sure a BA lounge (especially on a busy day) carries any impression of 'millionaire' lifestyle as portrayed by TabTraveller. Perhaps more like guesting someone to an "eat all you can" buffet where everything's free - but not exactly 'Good Food Guide' standard .....
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
@LTNphobia ... the cheap date analogy made me smile ^

I'm really not sure a BA lounge (especially on a busy day) carries any impression of 'millionaire' lifestyle as portrayed by TabTraveller. Perhaps more like guesting someone to an "eat all you can" buffet where everything's free - but not exactly 'Good Food Guide' standard .....
For those who haven't seen it, I was poking fun at the BBC's 'A Very British Airline', about which the BBC says:

This episode explores how the airline tries to persuade people to spend more to fly, revealing the world found behind the 'millionaire's door' at Heathrow Terminal 5 - a lounge, restaurant, spa and champagne bar reserved for those select few who are happy to part with small fortunes to fly in the airline's first class.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:44 am

For those who haven't seen it, I was poking fun at the BBC's 'A Very British Airline', about which the BBC says:
Thanks TT! No offence intended, I liked the fact you mentioned that guesting is included in the ticket for J and F.

Was an interesting series. Perhaps they meant Avios millionaire? I mentioned the check in agent from JFK that appeared on this on another thread a while back.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by lavajava
Thanks TT! No offence intended, I liked the fact you mentioned that guesting is included in the ticket for J and F.

Was an interesting series. Perhaps they meant Avios millionaire? I mentioned the check in agent from JFK that appeared on this on another thread a while back.
None taken - it just occurred to me that some reading this might not get what I was on about!

And I'm pretty certain that most walking through that door aren't millionaires. Or at least aren't if you don't count the cost of their London house anyway!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Fair enough TabTraveller ..... yes I do recall the particular episode, and I'm reassured to know that you weren't being serious !

What a weird set of programmes they were ......
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

The argument might not be so convincing after BA increases ticket prices to cover the marginal cost of every lounge visitor bringing in a guest from among the horde of Y passengers flocking to the escalators to pester the F passengers.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The argument might not be so convincing after BA increases ticket prices to cover the marginal cost of every lounge visitor bringing in a guest from among the horde of Y passengers flocking to the escalators to pester the F passengers.
BA clearly has an assumption somewhere in their budgeting that X% passengers will come in with a guest and Y% won't. This will probably vary at certain times of the year (school holidays, etc)

A certain percentage of 'X' will have access via another OW FF programme meaning they (and their guest) become a revenue source for BA. (Hurrah)

Those in 'Y' are simply adding to BA's margin as BA can take advantage of its statistical analysis to reduce the budget for lounge provisioning against what it should be based on the offer they make to those buying tickets.

Now arguably this means BA can keep ticket prices down by not over-provisioning, although the same argument could apply to the oversale of seats and in my view this is a means to increase margin rather than an attempt to drive down fares.

The above having been said, I've seen far fewer threads recently of dirty/overcrowded lounges so perhaps BA is provisioning lounges adequately and a few extra guests won't matter (or they have capacity to cope with them).

Conversely if the 'Y' group grows over time due to people being mean-spirited and not guesting people then budgets are likely to go unspent, meaning they'll be cut in the future.

So, basically you SHOULD be guesting people into the lounge to ensure BA doesn't cut future provision for when you want to bring friends and family in! It isn't even altruistic, it's in your own interests to do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.