Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Club World: LGW-SJO rtn

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
First time in Club World: LGW-SJO rtn

A little background – I don’t travel with work, and being 6ft3 I want my holidays to get off to a good start, so will always try to pre-book an exit row seat. Recent travels have shown the benefits to be had in being flexible and going on a business class sale fare, so from now on all of our long haul travel will be in the premium cabins.

This flight was an Avios redemption, in conjunction with an AMEX 2-4-1.
It was my first trip in Club World, previously I have flown long haul economy with several airlines (including BA), PE with BA down to JoBurg, and within the past 12 months in business with both Qatar (on an older 777 and newish 787) and Sri Lankan.

In the months leading up to the flight, the constant barrage of ‘enhancements’ actually left me worrying about how bad it was going to be on board. One should be looking forward to leisure flights in a premium cabin, not dreading it.

Outbound

Check in
OLCI needed the ticket to be re-issued for some reason, then we had to do a passport check at the airport, however this was painless as we could use the reasonably empty business desks, rather than the pretty busy economy desks.

Security
Allegedly this was fast track, but it seemed no different to any of the other security lanes. Previously at LGW the FT security was in a totally separate area, and really did seem to be fast. Now, not so much.

Lounge
Pretty dire, BA are using the No.1 traveller lounge, which on a Saturday morning was packed with the bucket and spade brigade. Copious pints of lager were being swilled, along with plenty of shouting children. All in all, it was too hot, too busy, not very clean, and there was no champagne unless paid for (yeah, I know, first world problems). Definitely not a premium feel.

Boarding

By the time we got to the gate, boarding was underway, so we strolled on and settled into 2J/K. We didn’t need to pay for seat selection, as both have BA silver (mainly thanks to Qatar).
It was a 48J cabin, and only looked about 1/3rd full.
CC introduced himself, got us a drink, and responded promptly when asked if he could clean the divider, as it still had food stuck to it from the previous flight.

Flight

This flight was on a 777-200, G-YMMD.
The flight itself was unremarkable, dozed a few hours, CC were attentive and a bit concerned with the recent ‘enhancements’, although he was initially a little cagey when I asked how he felt about them.
A few things that do stick in my mind however;

Cleanliness

Everything was grubby. The plastic on the outside of the seat opposite looked filthy, I had crumbs on my seat when I got on, the floor area next to the window seat was covered in crumbs and hair, and the aforementioned food stuck to the divider. Have they enhanced away cleaners?

Amenity kit

A pretty pathetic collection of sample sized tubes. The best bit of it is the little drawstring bag, handy for chargers and cables. Compared to Qatar, whose aftershave balm I am still using 3 months after flying with them (I ended up with 4x 75ml tubs of it) and it just seems worthless. Indeed, the socks and eye mask were left on the seat, as they will never be used.

IFE

The screens for the IFE are laughable. Very small, and of such poor quality that when a film had subtitles (place locations etc.) they were actually unreadable.

Space

It seemed cramped, with nowhere to put anything except the table, which needed everything taking off it to unfold when food arrived.
Thankfully with such a light load, there was no need to step over people from the window seat, but seriously? A ‘premium’ cabin where the only way out of your seat is to clamber over a random person.
Jamming 8 seats across also means there is barely room to get the trolley past 1G, every single time they tried to get the trolley out it clattered into the footrest.

Food

No choice of starter, just a fairly ordinary salad, which happened to be accompanied by another fairly ordinary salad. Why would you serve a side salad with a salad? It doesn’t make sense. We had pre-ordered the chicken curry, when it turned up it looked and tasted no better than food we have had in economy. Nothing premium here, other than a decent choice of drinks.

Arrivals

No fast track, although as we were near the front of the queue it didn’t really matter.

Return

Check in
We headed for the bank counter to pay our departure tax, and then joined the most disorganised check in line I have seen in a while. When asked why the business lane was closed off we were told she needed to check our credentials, ok fine, how do we get to you? Queue up with all of these others first. Genius. Proper dragon with it as well.

Security

Fast track – but very poor, they only had one channel for FT, and the person who checked the monitor was also the same person who would check the bags if needed, so progress was painfully slow.

Lounge

Busier in the lounge than the terminal, but as a BA pax you didn’t have to pay for drinks, a lot of others in the lounge only got their first drink free, which was odd.

Boarding

Painless, although held on the air bridge for about 10 minutes – why send people down before the kids and assistance passengers are even on-board, let alone settled? J cabin was almost full this time.

Flight

This flight was on the same 777-200, G-YMMD.
Again, quite an unremarkable flight. Great CC, Laura, she could not have been more helpful, and I am glad she was my side of the cabin, rather than the dragon on the other side.

Cleanliness

Again, everything was grubby, with wine stains down the wall next to the seat, and crumbs all over the seats. Mentioned to CC who were quite sympathetic, says it happens all the time, and gave us a complaint form.

Food

Choice of starter as the trial is over, we both had smoked salmon. I had beef and Mrs Sean had bass. Both reasonable, and feels much nicer having at least some choice over the starter.

Arrivals

Queues were massive, but the queue for the E readers was moving along nicely, it was particularly quick once they opened more than 6 of the 12-14 gates they had.

Summary

Nothing felt very premium.
Yes, there was a flat bed with loads more room than down the back, which is nice, but other than that, nothing really made me think “ooh, this is very nice”. The aircraft interior seemed very tired and neglected.
I sent some thoughts to BA, received a robot reply about the lounge, and nothing on the cleanliness or poor food.
I will still use BA long haul for 2-4-1 redemptions, but cash tickets will most likely go to either Qatar, or Finnair. An ex-EU, whilst it adds a little extra faff, can also be a part of the holiday if visiting somewhere new.

Costa Rica was great though
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by londonsean69
A little background – I don’t travel with work, and being 6ft3 I want my holidays to get off to a good start, so will always try to pre-book an exit row seat. Recent travels have shown the benefits to be had in being flexible and going on a business class sale fare, so from now on all of our long haul travel will be in the premium cabins.

This flight was an Avios redemption, in conjunction with an AMEX 2-4-1.
It was my first trip in Club World, previously I have flown long haul economy with several airlines (including BA), PE with BA down to JoBurg, and within the past 12 months in business with both Qatar (on an older 777 and newish 787) and Sri Lankan.

In the months leading up to the flight, the constant barrage of ‘enhancements’ actually left me worrying about how bad it was going to be on board. One should be looking forward to leisure flights in a premium cabin, not dreading it.

Outbound

Check in
OLCI needed the ticket to be re-issued for some reason, then we had to do a passport check at the airport, however this was painless as we could use the reasonably empty business desks, rather than the pretty busy economy desks.

Security
Allegedly this was fast track, but it seemed no different to any of the other security lanes. Previously at LGW the FT security was in a totally separate area, and really did seem to be fast. Now, not so much.

Lounge
Pretty dire, BA are using the No.1 traveller lounge, which on a Saturday morning was packed with the bucket and spade brigade. Copious pints of lager were being swilled, along with plenty of shouting children. All in all, it was too hot, too busy, not very clean, and there was no champagne unless paid for (yeah, I know, first world problems). Definitely not a premium feel.

Boarding

By the time we got to the gate, boarding was underway, so we strolled on and settled into 2J/K. We didn’t need to pay for seat selection, as both have BA silver (mainly thanks to Qatar).
It was a 48J cabin, and only looked about 1/3rd full.
CC introduced himself, got us a drink, and responded promptly when asked if he could clean the divider, as it still had food stuck to it from the previous flight.

Flight

This flight was on a 777-200, G-YMMD.
The flight itself was unremarkable, dozed a few hours, CC were attentive and a bit concerned with the recent ‘enhancements’, although he was initially a little cagey when I asked how he felt about them.
A few things that do stick in my mind however;

Cleanliness

Everything was grubby. The plastic on the outside of the seat opposite looked filthy, I had crumbs on my seat when I got on, the floor area next to the window seat was covered in crumbs and hair, and the aforementioned food stuck to the divider. Have they enhanced away cleaners?

Amenity kit

A pretty pathetic collection of sample sized tubes. The best bit of it is the little drawstring bag, handy for chargers and cables. Compared to Qatar, whose aftershave balm I am still using 3 months after flying with them (I ended up with 4x 75ml tubs of it) and it just seems worthless. Indeed, the socks and eye mask were left on the seat, as they will never be used.

IFE

The screens for the IFE are laughable. Very small, and of such poor quality that when a film had subtitles (place locations etc.) they were actually unreadable.

Space

It seemed cramped, with nowhere to put anything except the table, which needed everything taking off it to unfold when food arrived.
Thankfully with such a light load, there was no need to step over people from the window seat, but seriously? A ‘premium’ cabin where the only way out of your seat is to clamber over a random person.
Jamming 8 seats across also means there is barely room to get the trolley past 1G, every single time they tried to get the trolley out it clattered into the footrest.

Food

No choice of starter, just a fairly ordinary salad, which happened to be accompanied by another fairly ordinary salad. Why would you serve a side salad with a salad? It doesn’t make sense. We had pre-ordered the chicken curry, when it turned up it looked and tasted no better than food we have had in economy. Nothing premium here, other than a decent choice of drinks.

Arrivals

No fast track, although as we were near the front of the queue it didn’t really matter.

Return

Check in
We headed for the bank counter to pay our departure tax, and then joined the most disorganised check in line I have seen in a while. When asked why the business lane was closed off we were told she needed to check our credentials, ok fine, how do we get to you? Queue up with all of these others first. Genius. Proper dragon with it as well.

Security

Fast track – but very poor, they only had one channel for FT, and the person who checked the monitor was also the same person who would check the bags if needed, so progress was painfully slow.

Lounge

Busier in the lounge than the terminal, but as a BA pax you didn’t have to pay for drinks, a lot of others in the lounge only got their first drink free, which was odd.

Boarding

Painless, although held on the air bridge for about 10 minutes – why send people down before the kids and assistance passengers are even on-board, let alone settled? J cabin was almost full this time.

Flight

This flight was on the same 777-200, G-YMMD.
Again, quite an unremarkable flight. Great CC, Laura, she could not have been more helpful, and I am glad she was my side of the cabin, rather than the dragon on the other side.

Cleanliness

Again, everything was grubby, with wine stains down the wall next to the seat, and crumbs all over the seats. Mentioned to CC who were quite sympathetic, says it happens all the time, and gave us a complaint form.

Food

Choice of starter as the trial is over, we both had smoked salmon. I had beef and Mrs Sean had bass. Both reasonable, and feels much nicer having at least some choice over the starter.

Arrivals

Queues were massive, but the queue for the E readers was moving along nicely, it was particularly quick once they opened more than 6 of the 12-14 gates they had.

Summary

Nothing felt very premium.
Yes, there was a flat bed with loads more room than down the back, which is nice, but other than that, nothing really made me think “ooh, this is very nice”. The aircraft interior seemed very tired and neglected.
I sent some thoughts to BA, received a robot reply about the lounge, and nothing on the cleanliness or poor food.
I will still use BA long haul for 2-4-1 redemptions, but cash tickets will most likely go to either Qatar, or Finnair. An ex-EU, whilst it adds a little extra faff, can also be a part of the holiday if visiting somewhere new.

Costa Rica was great though

Great overall summary, love your writing style should go for a trip report next time. Interesting to hear your thoughts. I have my first Club World flight in a couple of weeks for 15 or so years. I am looking forward to it not sure if my expectations are too night but open minded.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Sounds pretty standard.
At least you had an award winning bed.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:19 am

A very standard experience.

BA CW is not a premium longhaul product.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
thanks for the time and effort to put into words what us self paying FTers feel about the BA CW experience from LGW. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of business travellers who don't have to pay for their flights, dose it make it less disappointing if the company or client is paying. Or is it like a company car just another tool to do the job and it doesn't matter as long as you get to your destination.
John
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by londonsean69

I wouldn't be so critical over the amenity kit offering. In fact, a friend of mine who works as senior Spa therapist for a very exclusive hotel highly rates Elemis products over many available other brands. They are also supplied with professional advice on application to gain maximum benefit.

Why do you feel you need larger sizes considering they are only required for onboard use?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by rossmacd
A very standard experience.

BA CW is not a premium longhaul product.
Rubbish.

Whether CW is a good premium offering is open to debate but I suspect it is streets ahead of other airlines economy and premium economy, so by definition a premium product.

Is CW value for money is a different question.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Rubecula
]Is CW value for money is a different question.
It still is exEU. Mostly going West.

I am finishing my Avios on a few trips East next year and I think I will change my program to QR but I haven't compared them yet. In the premium (starting exEU) segment BA is no longer in the top 50% IMHO. Or maybe just.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:24 am

Rubbish.

Whether CW is a good premium offering is open to debate but I suspect it is streets ahead of other airlines economy and premium economy, so by definition a premium product.
You can kid yourself if you wish, but CW is (IMHO) a poorer business product than QR, CX, AA, QF (/EK), JL and MH from within the OW alliance, and LX, EK, EY, AF and many more outside the OW alliance.

The fact that it is better than competitor's economy and premium economy product is irrelevant. By that justification, just because it is a business product I should be happy with it

Is CW value for money is a different question.
It is not value for money when you can fly AA across the Atlantic with a better product (granted some of the 757/767s are not good - I would only select a 777 product), for the same cash.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
Am I the only one frequenting this forum who rates the CW hard product higher than virtually every other OW airline's long haul business class offering? QR is an exception, but only barely, and even then I prefer the best seats in CW (64A/K on 747). AA and AY both have very hard and uncomfortable seats in their newest business cabins, and particularly AA's feel way too cramped. In CW you have a softer and wider bed with plenty of room for your legs/feet.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:42 am

You can kid yourself if you wish, but CW is (IMHO) a poorer business product than QR, CX, AA, QF (/EK), JL and MH from within the OW alliance, and LX, EK, EY, AF and many more outside the OW alliance.

The fact that it is better than competitor's economy and premium economy product is irrelevant. By that justification, just because it is a business product I should be happy with it

It is not value for money when you can fly AA across the Atlantic with a better product (granted some of the 757/767s are not good - I would only select a 777 product), for the same cash.
My point is that whatever you think of the quality of CW it is a premium product. All the other airlines you mention may have better products but that was not the point I was making.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Aren't you being a tad unfair to AY?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:52 am

My point is that whatever you think of the quality of CW it is a premium product. All the other airlines you mention may have better products but that was not the point I was making.
Our definition of the word "premium" must differ
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Aren't you being a tad unfair to AY?
I may be, but having never flown them longhaul, then I am not qualified to pass judgement
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Our definition of the word "premium" must differ
Spot on, let us agree to differ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.