Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hello? Is there anyone there? [Contacting BA out of hours?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others

Its just hit me with a startling reality.

I have a booking to fly LGW to EDI tomorrow lunchtime, and due to family issues I really need to be on the 07:30. I have a Biz flexible ticket, so it should be rosy.

However - BA call centre closed, online changes closed, no chat, no online response service. I literally can't change my flight.

Perhaps I've never had to do this before on BA, or its never happened like this - but on KLM a few weeks ago I needed to change a flight and I (with no status at all) sent a chat message at 3am and got a reply instantly, with changes made in minutes.

What on earth is happening with BA? Is this some British antiquity to still operate a "6-10" service, when all other airlines are operating 24/7 through multiple channels with instant responses? Utterly bizarre.

Anyone know any way to change a booking - I fear even if I arrive at the airport at 6am they won't be able to validate the change before I need to board...From BA experience even that takes an hour or so...

Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
try online in 5 mins when it is after midnight and 8 sept.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Nope - just tried and I get the same "We regret that your booking cannot be changed on ba.com. Please contact your local British Airways office"

What a beautifully twee airline - part time and all. I'm amazed they don't land every BA plane mid-flight during the GMT night time to maintain this standard...

If I call the USA line, do you think they can help!?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
Nope - just tried and I get the same "We regret that your booking cannot be changed on ba.com. Please contact your local British Airways office"

What a beautifully twee airline - part time and all. I'm amazed they don't land every BA plane mid-flight during the GMT night time to maintain this standard...

If I call the USA line, do you think they can help!?
I'm sure they could offload you and then amend the booking. Incidentally somewhere in a wiki is details of how to reach BA 24/7 by calling global numbers but I'm in my iPad so can't search and attach link. You will most likely end up in Newcastle or Manchster though.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I'm sure they could offload you and then amend the booking. Incidentally somewhere in a wiki is details of how to reach BA 24/7 by calling global numbers but I'm in my iPad so can't search and attach link. You will most likely end up in Newcastle or Manchster though.
This is correct. You can call any call center in the world (which in a way or another should cover you 24 hours a day). Skype is good for this for international calls (and +1800 numbers are free on Skype).
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
The US number should be open now:
Tel: 1 800 452 1201 (from the USA)
+ 1 800 247 9297 (outside the USA)
Daily 0730-2000 Eastern

This is the HK office:
Tel: +852 3002 1208
Mon - Fri 0900 to 1730 hours

And the Tokyo office:
Tel: 03-3298-5209
Monday - Friday
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 17:00
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at the tool listed in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
It will tell you which BAEC office is currently open throughout the world.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:51 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Having been in this situation myself, albeit much earlier in the evening (so I found it even more aggravating that they weren't open), I wish ba would offer a UK number that auto forwarded to an open office somewhere in the world.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Ziz
Having been in this situation myself, albeit much earlier in the evening (so I found it even more aggravating that they weren't open), I wish ba would offer a UK number that auto forwarded to an open office somewhere in the world.
Or even offered a 24/7 service in the UK.... now there is a radical idea (for BA)....
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ziz
A few years ago I was working on just such a project which BA called Virtual Call Centre (VCC) - this was designed to manage a call from anywhere in the world (24 x 7) and pass through to a call handler anywhere in the world, but a CH who was qualified to answer in the (major) language associated with the originating country.

This was at the same time as ba.com was being developed/rolled-out and within 12 months the business case for the VCC project, based on the volume of calls coming in to BA, almost disappeared as the number dropped so dramatically (can't remember the actual %age) as customers were using the website to get answers to their questions.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by babats
A few years ago I was working on just such a project which BA called Virtual Call Centre (VCC) - this was designed to manage a call from anywhere in the world (24 x 7) and pass through to a call handler anywhere in the world, but a CH who was qualified to answer in the (major) language associated with the originating country.

This was at the same time as ba.com was being developed/rolled-out and within 12 months the business case for the VCC project, based on the volume of calls coming in to BA, almost disappeared as the number dropped so dramatically (can't remember the actual %age) as customers were using the website to get answers to their questions.
I haven't rung a BA number in years but last time I did and it must be at least 12 years ago I remember being slightly - but pleasantly - surprised that having rung a UK number, I was been put through to a BA agent in the USA who promptly made the change to the flight that I needed.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
In days gone by calls to BA used to be redirected to centers which were open. Calling from the USA, I have had tickets booked in Germany, the UK, Australia, and more places that I can't remember now.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Every major international carrier provides exactly this service. A local telephone number which is routed to an agent who speaks the language of the country from which the call is made (or some approximation of that). Certainly for the UK in the case of BA.

While it is true that calls to call centers to handle routine ticketing matters have dropped off radically as individuals use carrier websites and large companies use corporate TA's (with their own 24/7 backup), until and unless BA upgrades its website to handle simple changes, call centers will be required for that.

To that point, there is no reason why a modern website cannot handle a routine change which does not involve anything other than flights. If there is a fee to be collected, this being 2016, that ought to be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.