Wiki Posts
Search

Use BA Avios with Malaysia Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Use BA Avios with Malaysia Airlines

Hello,

My GF are saving avios on our houseshare account as we plan to use them to travel in first class to Singapour and then travel accros asia for our honeymoon.

I was super excited to travel from london to SIN with BA in first, but the more review i look the less excited i am.

Indeed; one can argue that BA isn't the best P in the world, even if i would still be very happy to use it; i wonder if i can travel with one member of the alliance.

Is it possible to travel from London to Kuala Lumpur using the avios i have on my account ? We i research the route on BA website i can only find BA flight and BA + Cathay.

Thank you for your help
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Yes you can use them on MH (and all other OW partners). If you don't see the flight when searching it means there is not award availability (which you need to use Avios) on that flight on that date.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, but i m looking for a pay in cash flight, not with avios, and i can find flight on malaysian website but not on BA on the same date.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

When i try to book with avios i can find them
Thank you for your help

Someone can confirm that companion voucher can be only used with BA flight ?

Last edited by diego454; Sep 3, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:02 pm

Deleted. (Was confused by post #3 but I think OP's query is now resolved.)

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 3, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by diego454
When i try to book with avios i can find them
Thank you for your help

Someone can confirm that companion voucher can be only used with BA flight ?
You can only use a BA (Amex or Chase) companion voucher on BA flights. The companion voucher can only be used with avios (reward) flights. Are you trying to book with cash or avios? If you want to pay cash for a MH flight you will not necessarily be able to purchase an MH flight on ba.com.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC 35K
If you want to purchase an MH flight with cash you're best off doing it on MH's own website. You will (as long as you're in a correct booking class) still be able to earn Avios/TPs for the journey by entering your BAEC number at time of booking (or later).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by diego454
Hello,

My GF are saving avios on our houseshare account as we plan to use them to travel in first class to Singapour and then travel accros asia for our honeymoon.

I was super excited to travel from london to SIN with BA in first, but the more review i look the less excited i am.

Indeed; one can argue that BA isn't the best P in the world, even if i would still be very happy to use it; i wonder if i can travel with one member of the alliance.

Is it possible to travel from London to Kuala Lumpur using the avios i have on my account ? We i research the route on BA website i can only find BA flight and BA + Cathay.

Thank you for your help
Also consider QR.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It will depend on availability on the day, but you can also use Finnair, Malaysian and Sri Lankan. First class availability is rare on MH and AY and UL don't offer it at all - and availability tends to be better on MH's lunchtime departure from LHR. I prefer to avoid lunchtime eastbound long hauls, because you end up wanting to go to sleep about 10 p.m. UK time, which only gives you a few hours at best.

Royal Jordanian also fly to KL (this was news to me!) although it is their older A330 product both ways.

In terms of the best business class product, I'd rate them as: QR - CX - BA - MH (not flown Finnair, Sri Lankan or Royal Jordanian but would probably rank AY above BA, UL above MH, and RJ bottom if asked to choose one). However, timings and connections matter and I've only ranked them on the product.

QR business is very nearly as good as BA First, and CX runs QR close. That's also the only first-class product I've flown but I suspect that CX and QR's first class products are better - but probably not so much better as to justify a connection that takes hours out of your last day in the UK or first day in the region.

If you're using a companion voucher, etc., then of course you're constrained to BA - which really isn't a bad place to be up the front, especially given the fact that you'll be on a non-stop flight.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you so many good tips.

As we want to use our companion voucher, we will use BA.

We flight QR in J in six months, can't wait if you say its close to be as good as BA First.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Avios booking for SIN-KUL-HKT in business

I thought I would extend an existing thread, rather than start a new one in the same topic area, although my trip goals and route are quite different.

I am looking to get from SIN to HKT in early March 2020, and note that MH offers connecting flights through KUL. I have enough Avios for business class, but have only seen one business class seat available on all the flight combinations that I checked.

Does anyone have experience in booking more than one business class seat on MH's short-haul flights using Avios? I know their 737 cabins only have 12 seats in business, so perhaps they do not put more than one up for reward bookings? But if there are any tips on how, and when to get more than one business class seat on MH short-haul flights using Avios, I'd love to hear them.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:56 pm

For a 90 minute flight I would highly recommend you forget Avios and MH and a connection and book direct from Singapore. I too have only seen 1xJ seat available with Avios on MH

Silkair would be preferred - full service so include bags, a meal etc., their flights can be keenly priced if you book early. If you just need a one way check skyscanner.com.sg - some of the third party sites seem to get better prices e.g. via.com.

Otherwise Scoot, Jetstar or Air Asia are all good options
brunos likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Otherwise Scoot, Jetstar or Air Asia are all good options
I disagree: Scoot is a terrible experience! If you're going down the LCC route then I'd suggest Air Asia or Jetstar (preferably the former given it uses Changi T4 and also has better food options)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess that I will look into SilkAir (now being merged into SQ). I always like to use up my bits and pieces of Avios on short haul flights in front cabins, and have had good luck doing this in Australia and Europe. But I guess MH will only work if I'm traveling solo in future.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess that I will look into SilkAir (now being merged into SQ). I always like to use up my bits and pieces of Avios on short haul flights in front cabins, and have had good luck doing this in Australia and Europe. But I guess MH will only work if I'm traveling solo in future.
Short haul can be a good use in places like Australia where taxes are low and fares are expensive, but when cash fares are cheap, or taxes are high they are less good value. I've used AirAsia in the past, the fares fabulously cheap, the flights have been on-time and crew have been fine. No grounds for complaint, especially if avoiding an additional connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.