Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

With infant but paid for extra seat - please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I am travelling LGW-VLC and back in October with 18mnth old daughter, wife and Mother in Law (!). Daughter is a tornado and needs her own seat so I booked as a child - Basic fare.

I have assumed that as she is under 2 and hence an infant (despite having a seat), we will still however be able to select seats for free. Have any FTers had experience of this? I assume I need to phone up. Both wife and I are silvers if that makes any difference.

Cheers!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:10 pm

If you are silvers, can't you select seats free anyway?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
If you are silvers, can't you select seats free anyway?
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to respond.

As we selected the basic (HBO) fare, I believe our Silver status doesn't entitle us to select seats for free, hence why I am wondering about the infant issue.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:43 pm

Ah, sorry you are right. I missed that one.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:56 pm

In the absence of any other answers, I searched and found the following (bolding mine):

When you travel with an infant (under 2) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own, you can reserve a seat for yourself and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).

So that is clear that if you have booked a seat for the infant, you don't get the free reservations. If it applied to all infant bookings, the qualifying clause wouldn't be necessary. But - this is BA and the help pages can be confusing/wrong/open to multiple interpretations.

I guess the only way to find out is to call BA. And maybe try a couple of times if the first agent says 'No'.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Little Panda4 is known as an 'Infant Occupying a Seat' or INS and is treated more as a child than as an infant, especially with the way the booking was made, where she has a child identifier.

Call BA, ask them to change the identifier from CHD to INS and to add the SSR INFT. This will allow your daughter to be correctly identified, and should unlock the seat map. Otherwise, as is, you'll be assigned seats from about 72hrs before departure, like other bookings with children.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help on this. I will let you know how I get on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.