Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HMS Colossus wreck

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

HMS Colossus wreck

Flying from Edinburgh to London -why does the map show the wreck of HMS Colossus (1799) but no other shipwreck? In fact, nothing of any historical importance anywhere in the world, but this one shipwreck, which doesn't seem to be historically important.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:48 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by muscat
Flying from Edinburgh to London -why does the map show the wreck of HMS Colossus (1799) but no other shipwreck? In fact, nothing of any historical importance anywhere in the world, but this one shipwreck, which doesn't seem to be historically important.
On the longhauls you get shipwrecks all over the joint, especially around the Bay of Biscay and northern Spain, for some reason.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:24 pm

Suggesting that taking the plane is safer than taking the ship?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Suggesting that taking the plane is safer than taking the ship?
Yeah, less likely to run aground on the rocks like Colossus
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-new-a320.html
And from that thread:
That one has been around for a number of years now, it is the Rockwell Collins Airshow 2000.

It has always made we wonder, if on cruise ships they have something similar, famous aircrashes.

bjorns
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...oving-map.html
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
HMS Colossus

Actually sank 10th December 1798.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
To this point, there's a very rousing rendition of the theme from Titanic playing in the loos next to gate A18 at T5 right now.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
To some here, perhaps it's an omen with regards to BA's present course to becoming a colossal wreck
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It's Cruz's codename for the operation to enhance every aspect of BA service.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by xenole
To some here, perhaps it's an omen with regards to BA's present course to becoming a colossal wreck
I did actually think that the thread title was a cryptic reference to enhancements!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
you were flying EDI to LON- why did you go over the Isles of Scilly; I'd be worried my pilot was lost
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by navylad
you were flying EDI to LON- why did you go over the Isles of Scilly; I'd be worried my pilot was lost
The map shows points of interest/cities not specifically on your route when zoomed out.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by armouredant
To this point, there's a very rousing rendition of the theme from Titanic playing in the loos next to gate A18 at T5 right now.
And here's the Moving Map version, sans Céline.

Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:23 pm

Along similar lines, I always wondered if the locations mentioned in Panic (the Smiths) were derived from the moving map on a BA flight. London, Birmingham, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside (well Kingston on Hull), Grasmere...etc
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by ftaitr
Along similar lines, I always wondered if the locations mentioned in Panic (the Smiths) were derived from the moving map on a BA flight. London, Birmingham, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside (well Kingston on Hull), Grasmere...etc
Did the moving map even exist back in the 1980s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.