Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Blocked Seat For No Reason?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
A Blocked Seat For No Reason?

So I had a weird experience on a recent TATL in CW. When I checked in, I was told that my seat (6A on the 787) had to be changed. They'd moved me to 6B (a few days prior there was someone in 6B as the seat map was fairly full, so they've clearly done some rejigging of the cabin to accommodate this).

The check in agent had no further information.

I called GGL who still showed me as being in 6A. Then they did a refresh and I was indeed in 6B. 6A was blocked. I assumed a tech fault and left it at that.

When I got onboard I asked the CSM what was wrong with 6A. She was rather confused and when I explained, she had no report of a technical fault with the seat, or with it being blocked; it was just an empty seat.

Worked out well for me as I used 6A as the bed and 6B for eating and watching the IFE, but it was all a bit weird. Anyone had anything similar happen; or maybe can shed any light as to why it happened?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:19 am

In a nutshell

A) the aircraft planned to operate your flight was swapped last minute hence there was no problem r original seat
Or
b) they cleared the technical fault with 6A before your flight so they could release the seat again. They obviously anticipated not to be able to fix it before your sector hence it was blocked in the system.

Glad it all worked out for you with a little extra space.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Definitely not A.

B is a possibility, but given it was just a couple of hours before take off that I was given this information, even if they fixed the fault I would still have expected the CSM to have a record of it on the iPad.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The one you want to believe.

c) Because BA think you're special.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:31 am

We don't get information on the IPad with regards to blocked seats and as to why. Only way we could check is previous tech log entries and they also get re over from the folder from time to time.

In that case it's either I really don't know or d) it was a system fault

Changed C to D) after previous poster offered explanation C)
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY

LOL
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY

Oh that ship sailed a long time ago. BA's appreciation for me is of a similar level of appreciation to that which I feel towards a mosquito that lands on my balls.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Definitely not A.
Out of curiosity, how do you know?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This looks like the joint actions of (b) and Theoretical Seating to me, which equals (c).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:48 pm

Possibly blocked for flightcrew to use as their rest seat, but never taken up in-flight.

Was the case on both my PVG sectors this week.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
Possibly blocked for flightcrew to use as their rest seat, but never taken up in-flight.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
here wo go, think we are on option E) now
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
I thought that a possibility too, but it does beg the question, if that was the reason, why move a GGL from his chosen seat? If all seats are equal (as BA would have us believe) why couldn't the crew rest seat be any of the other unoccupied seats?

This is an observation by the way BA.MF.CSM, I'm not soliciting an answer to the question from you.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I thought that a possibility too, but it does beg the question, if that was the reason, why move a GGL from his chosen seat? If all seats are equal (as BA would have us believe) why couldn't the crew rest seat be any of the other unoccupied seats?

This is an observation by the way BA.MF.CSM, I'm not soliciting an answer to the question from you.
Yes it seems a bit daft I agree, however it is always the same seat depending on Aircraft type which gets blocked for crew rest on certain routes. So if it is a Crew rest seat it seems odd that the OP was able to select it in the first place.
I am not on 787s so not sure what the arrangements are.

Saying that given BAs website functions recently and present it does not surprise me that people can choose a crew rest seat only to be moved out of them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.